Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bulldog21

New Skates after Mission Pure Fly

Hoping for some help with finding a replacement for my current skates; a pair of Mission Pure Flys (pro stock with clarino cream liner, etc) 2 eyelets at the ankle, size 9.5 DA but stretched a little at the forefoot for my wide feet.  Would finding a pair of Mission Fuel 120 work same size or bigger?  What about other new model skates if I can't stay with Mission?  Thanks

The Mission ice hockey skates are going to be tough to find in decent condition at this point due to it being so long ago that they were available.  You are probably going to have to look into Bauer or CCM at this point (each has three distinct lines of skates with different fit characteristics) or if you are willing to pay for customs, True/VH.  I mean, there is always the off chance that you will get lucky on eBay or SidelineSwap and find an old pair of a specific skate you want in great shape and in your exact size but that would be pretty lucky.

I agree with matix that it'll be hard to find old Mission ice skates at this point, but if you want to look on eBay, Kijiji, craigslist, forums, FB, ect. Here are some models to look for:

Mission S500 (basically an improved purefly) in 9.5D

You could look at the Mission AG series (I believe 110, 120, 130 ect.), but I did read in another thread here that the fit was changed on the first line and the heel felt wider. I did not wear these skates, but you may want to search for and read old threads here before considering them.

Another discontinued skate line you may like is the Easton Mako line. It's stiff at the bottom and a little softer up top compared to most high end skates from Bauer and CCM. If you're going with the Mako though, I'd try to find an 8.5D (or perhaps 9D) in the Mako II or M8. I own both the original Mako and the Mako II and can say that for me, the Mako II has been more durable. 

Out of the current Bauer and CCM lines you would probably want to look at the CCM Ribcore line. You're used to skates that have some give up top and all the other high end skates are very stiff up top. 

True/VH is worth considering if you have no budget - they'll custom build the skate based on scans, pictures and measurements of your feet. They'll certainly be much stiffer than your old Pureflys though. 

Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions. To clarify sizing on a pair of Mission Fuel 120 skates, is the heel fit different or same?  Also, would I use the same size as my current Pure Fly skates? Or could I go a size larger?

Sizing should be the same between the Purefly and AG. So you want a 9.5. I skimmed an old thread and believe it was the AG 110 that had the wider heel. People were happy the AG 120 narrowed the heel again. So if you can find the AG 120 or 130 in a 9.5 they should fit fairly close to the Purefly based on what I have read.