Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

durke

Vapor vs. Supreme

Hi,

My son is 15 and always been in Bauer Vapors. At our local hockey shop he was sized using the Bauer sizing machine or app. The machine suggested he had a Supreme foot, but he was skeptical since he has always worn Vapors. Will a vapor EE be the equivalent in volume to a Supreme? Also, he's stuck on Vapors, but are the CCMs with the new plastics have the same pitch as the Bauer plastic? I would like him to try other skates, and have the same concern as him about being able to get used to them.

Thanks!

The Vapor is shallower with a narrower heel. The Nexus has a wide heel, and is deep. The Supreme is in between. It should be fairly obvious which fits just by trying them on. For me the Vapor was too shallow, and the Nexus too wide at the heel. Too shallow a skate can cause lace bite. 

I would say most 15 year old kids are more interested in the cool model. Maybe try explaining to him that it's all about fit and ask if he has any pain when he skates with his current vapors. If he does have pain highly encourage him to give another model a shot and he may be able to skate pain free and avoid some foot issues down the road. Hope this helps.

If he likes Vapor’s, but he has lace bite issues, get him to try Jetspeed’s. They have more volume and a bit wider than Vapor’s. I also believe they have a tighter heel. 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

People really should try skates on blindfolded.

I was going to suggest to have him try on skates blindfolded.

I understand that Bauer makes 3 skates with 3 different fits. The thing is he feels comfortable in his Vapors (they are all he knows), but the Bauer machine says he's a Supreme. It's just confused us to whether or not he has been in the wrong skates all along or go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

Thanks for all the replies!

1 hour ago, durke said:

I understand that Bauer makes 3 skates with 3 different fits. The thing is he feels comfortable in his Vapors (they are all he knows), but the Bauer machine says he's a Supreme. It's just confused us to whether or not he has been in the wrong skates all along or go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

Thanks for all the replies!

Heel locked in, no lace bite, good length, no pain, no excessive negative space? If he ticks all those boxes then damn the machine, stick with what works. So saying, the FT1 is one hell of a skate.

Just get the Vapors.  It doesn't matter if they are the worst fitting skate in the world.  He's going to say they're perfect, and the best fitting skate in the world doesn't fit right.  I haven't known many kids to give an accurate, honest assessment of how their skates or shoes fit.  Anything other than getting him the Vapors that may or may not be closest to his foot is an exercise in futility.

For starters, i would agree with what has already been said; try them all on, and get what feels best.

Given that, i will say the fancy Bauer machine was spot on with my assessment. It told me I'd fit best in a 7.5EE Supreme, and after trying on various models, the machine was right. 

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Just get the Vapors.  It doesn't matter if they are the worst fitting skate in the world.  He's going to say they're perfect, and the best fitting skate in the world doesn't fit right.  I haven't known many kids to give an accurate, honest assessment of how their skates or shoes fit.  Anything other than getting him the Vapors that may or may not be closest to his foot is an exercise in futility.

I agree with this. Unless he has a complaint about them there’s no reason to switch. 

3 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I agree with this. Unless he has a complaint about them there’s no reason to switch. 

If he had a complaint with them, I'd suspect he would have been more accepting of the fact that the Bauer 3D scanner suggested he should be in a different fitting skate.

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

If he had a complaint with them, I'd suspect he would have been more accepting of the fact that the Bauer 3D scanner suggested he should be in a different fitting skate.

True dat. 

On 12/1/2017 at 11:44 AM, IW Team - Chase said:

It'd be cool if they made three skates that visually looked identical but had the different fit profiles. 

THIS^   What a great idea!    

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 12:50 PM, psulion22 said:

You must have kids. Others will learn.