Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MD56

How much would you spend on skates if ...

You’d never played on ice before?

Have been playing roller for the last 10 years and somehow I’ve never made the step over to ice. Finally ready to give it a try. From roller I understand the importance of spending on skates...  but I’m affectively a beginner again so I’m trying to keep it low budget while I feel things out. Don’t really want to buy used skates, so I’ve been trying to stay in the low to mid range new stuff. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Supreme S160s or spend the extra hundred dollars and go for the 170s .  I understand the 170s have better steel, and a little better material in the boot, but again I’m new so I don’t even know if I’m going to notice...

Anyway just curious what  everyone’s price point would be in a similar situation. 

What roller blades do you have? How often do you intend to play ice?

being relatively fluent in skating, you will definitely notice a lack of comfort and performance if you go too cheap on ice skates. S170 are a good mid-range value skate. If you do a little research, you may find an older skate of the same quality at a better price. 

Dont go crazy, go mid range. Do one pair of skate right, once. Not 3-4 cheap mistakes that cost you more in the end. 

24 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

What roller blades do you have? How often do you intend to play ice?

Mission NLS 3s which I like a lot. If I’m lucky I’ll make it onto the ice once or twice a week.

If you've never ice skated at all might be worth renting skates the first time or buying a cheap pair at a used store just to see if you like it first before spending a lot. Ice and inline can be quite different.

1 hour ago, MD56 said:

Have been playing roller for the last 10 years and somehow I’ve never made the step over to ice. Finally ready to give it a try. From roller I understand the importance of spending on skates...  but I’m affectively a beginner again so I’m trying to keep it low budget while I feel things out. Don’t really want to buy used skates, so I’ve been trying to stay in the low to mid range new stuff. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Supreme S160s or spend the extra hundred dollars and go for the 170s .  I understand the 170s have better steel, and a little better material in the boot, but again I’m new so I don’t even know if I’m going to notice...

Anyway just curious what  everyone’s price point would be in a similar situation. 

How about this, taking your roller hockey skates and have blades put on , this way you have boots your used to . Then invest into new roller hockey skates.  

I have Supreme S160 LE, and they are in my view a nice mid range skate. At the time the S170 was £20 more, so I should have gone for them, but I suspect the difference for me is minor. The boot is stiff, but not too stiff. I am a decent skater, and a novice hockey player if that helps. So I can do hockey stops backwards and forwards, crossovers backwards and forwards etc. I have never thought the skates were holding me back. Heck, I know someone who uses cheap £60 skates and he is an excellent freestyler. But you'll wear the blades out in a year with regular sharpening. I have Bauer Speed Plates too and highly recommend them, they make a huge difference to my skating.

Playmakersedge +1, that's a good way to hop on the ice and know that at least the boot is going to work for you.

But if you are determined to buy ice skates then $300 for the S170's can get you a hell of a lot of a "new if not near new skate" off ebay etc if you are prepared to do the research, check everything to the nth degree, ask lots of questions, try skates on and be prepared to take your time. And these skates will hold a decent resale value if you want to change quickly whereas brand new skates don't.

I went the same path as you and have now coached hundreds of players who have come from inline, don't sweat it as the mechanics are similar. Once you find your inside edge and can stop then things get a lot better.

#clearance

I don't think I've ever spent more than $300 on skates, but I never buy this year's model. The $700 skate of 2014 is the $225 skate of today. However I am cursed / blessed with short, wide, high volume feet so I can always find my size left over.

Getting holders mounted on your inline boots is an intriguing proposition as well . . . but you can get close to buying some clearance skates for the cost of really good holders and steel.  

I kind of quit following mission skates. Are the ones you have made on a bauer last?  If so, at least you know what fits.  

I moved from roller to ice, and eventually gave up on roller. Go with the best skate you can afford that are similar to your inline skates (I wouldn't get wicked stiff skates if yours aren't, or vice versa). You already know you like hockey, and you know what you want in a boot. Having skates that feel good is going to make the transition easier. 

Where are you guys finding stock on skates that are 3-4 year past models? I googled until i couldn't google no more for One.6's and One.7's and the best I could do was ebay (which only had one viable pair) and Canadian retailers. I'm all for the idea, i just couldn't execute on it. 

That said, i did decide to be a little more patient and ended up squeezing the trigger on a pair of "once worn" S180s on SidelineSwap. Got them for about half of what retail would be. Pretty happy with the deal. 

A friend of mine just made the switch over to ice recently. He started in rentals, then bought a pair of skates on clearance for $40 in case he decided it wasn't for him.
He spent a bout 4 months in the $40 skates before he decided to buy a good pair of skates (I think he ended up in the Supreme S160's).

2 hours ago, MD56 said:

Where are you guys finding stock on skates that are 3-4 year past models? I googled until i couldn't google no more for One.6's and One.7's and the bets I could do was ebay (which only had one viable pair) and Canadian retailers. I'm all for the idea, i just couldn't execute on it. 

That said, i did decide to be a little more patient and ended up squeezing the trigger on a pair of One Used S180s on sidelineSwap. Got them for about half of what retail would be. Pretty happy with the deal. 

A lot of it depends on your size, if you are in the common range (8 - 10) then finding these on a long time clearance is rare as when they do go on clearance they generally sell quick. I'm a size 6 so I can hunt for skates from 2 - 3 years ago and still find them on sale but my main source of skates still remains ebay, craigslist etc. You just have to be prepared to wait and look everyday, like the other day I picked up a pair of twice used jetspeeds for $90 to convert to roller. I've been looking for at least 5 months.

I spent similar to my roller skates.  You will pick it up quickly and won't want all the flex that comes along with bottom of the line skates.  I went from the Bauer RX:60 to the ice equal, the Bauer x7.0.  Initially I tried to go cheaper on the ice skates, but hated all the added flex of the boot.  There is one method of stopping in roller that just chatters your teeth out of your head in ice.  After you try that and get dentures, you will be good to go.

-Jim

On 11/30/2017 at 5:21 PM, MD56 said:

I would buy lightly used skates. You can usually get last years model or the year prior top of the line level skates for a fairly decent price. For example, I recently saw 2016 Bauer vapor X900 skates selling for under $300 and they were only used a couple times and looked new. 

23 hours ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

I spent similar to my roller skates.  You will pick it up quickly and won't want all the flex that comes along with bottom of the line skates.  I went from the Bauer RX:60 to the ice equal, the Bauer x7.0.  Initially I tried to go cheaper on the ice skates, but hated all the added flex of the boot.  There is one method of stopping in roller that just chatters your teeth out of your head in ice.  After you try that and get dentures, you will be good to go.

-Jim

Lol, I've talked to a few people who have made the switch and the one common thing they all tell me is "once you figure out stopping you'll be good to go"  Nervously looking forward to getting out on the ice. 

15 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I would buy lightly used skates. You can usually get last years model or the year prior top of the line level skates for a fairly decent price. For example, I recently saw 2016 Bauer vapor X900 skates selling for under $300 and they were only used a couple times and looked new. 

It helps to not narrow yourself down to a single model as well. I had 3-4 different skates that I would good with, just had to wait for the right size / condition / price.