Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Removing graphics on JetSpeed FT1?

I have removed graphics on CCM Super Tacks before and it was very easy. I am considering doing the same with a pair of JetSpeed FT1 skates but am not sure what the skate boot itself looks like under the graphics. Has anyone seen a JetSpeed FT1 with all of its graphics removed? The Super Tacks looks like carbon fiber composite and is very pleasing to the eyes. 

By the looks of mine with the peeling graphics, it kind of looks like the silver honeycomb like pattern is the base underneath the graphics. If you do manage to do it, please take a picture and post it here. I saw a pair of Tacks that had the graphics removed and they looked awesome. I think it is stupid to screen on graphics when they are just going to peel and look terrible in a few months.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

By the looks of mine with the peeling graphics, it kind of looks like the silver honeycomb like pattern is the base underneath the graphics. If you do manage to do it, please take a picture and post it here. I saw a pair of Tacks that had the graphics removed and they looked awesome. I think it is stupid to screen on graphics when they are just going to peel and look terrible in a few months.

Definitely. But CCM took care of that by making sure the graphics they screen on look terrible already before the skates make their debut.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I hope it's not that silver honeycomb mesh color. That would be terrible. 

Personally I would rather the silver honeycomb than the not so great graphics package. I like it a bit simpler. The spots on mine and my buddy's skates that are peeling off show the silver stuff underneath. What product did you use to remove the graphics on your Super Tacks and do you think it affects the integrity of the material at all? I worry that using a solvent might mess with the resin that is used to hold the composite together.

I haven't seen any weakening on the clear coat under the graphics let alone the resin. I'm talking about your wife's/ girlfriends nail polish remover that's in the top drawer, not some heavy duty acetone that you need gloves and a certificate to handle. I think you guys are seriously over thinking most of this.

I'm not overthinking anything. I just want to make sure that I don't compromise the structure of my $1000 skates.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 8:36 PM, Nicholas G said:

I have removed graphics on CCM Super Tacks before and it was very easy. I am considering doing the same with a pair of JetSpeed FT1 skates but am not sure what the skate boot itself looks like under the graphics. Has anyone seen a JetSpeed FT1 with all of its graphics removed? The Super Tacks looks like carbon fiber composite and is very pleasing to the 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not overthinking anything. I just want to make sure that I don't compromise the structure of my $1000 skates.

Jason you know what would be cool is trying the wrapp that's used on custom cars  . You could do all kinds of stuff . You could have your number pop from a contrasting color . 

22 hours ago, Jason said:

Will nail polish remover weaken the resin holding the boot together?

There is a citrus based finish remover . I tried it on a piece of furniture and it was not strong enough for that but it may be perfect for that.   Another thing that could work is a scotch brite pad  . 

A custom graphic would be pretty cool, but to be honest I like a simple design, so I would likely stick with whatever is underneath the graphics.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ginjaninja said:

I'm imagining this with white laces and white holders.  That would be just amazing. Maybe I'm the only one who likes the plain classic look.

Nope, your not the only one. Goddamn, that is one sweeeeeeet looking boot. You can have all your inserts, multi colour fabrics and wrap around garish details (sorry VH / True owners but I just don't get that mutli colourway some of you seem to favour), plain and classic looking rules the roost any day.

Lol, hey CCM branding dept - hint hint........

• Like 1

Those are not my skates. I just found the image. I'd love to know what the guy used. The boots are so shiny still. I tried using a small amount of goof off to remove the graphics on my FT1s and it seemed to leave a dull finish underneath. I am worried that it is removing the outer lacquer on the skate. I just did a small test area. Not sure if I will proceed with a full decal removal yet.

I would be pretty surprised if goof-off or nail polish remover was at all effective on these graphics. I would expect this to be similar paint that is used on bicycles or at a very least crylon fussion.

The skates probably waxed and buffed that is why goof-off might leave a dull appearance. 

If I am right about the paint, one thing to try, would be Klean Strip Aircraft Fiberglass Paint Remover or something similar that is used for car-parts and bicycle frames.