Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Removing graphics on JetSpeed FT1?

3 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

I would be pretty surprised if goof-off or nail polish remover was at all effective on these graphics. I would expect this to be similar paint that is used on bicycles or at a very least crylon fussion.

The skates probably waxed and buffed that is why goof-off might leave a dull appearance. 

If I am right about the paint, one thing to try, would be Klean Strip Aircraft Fiberglass Paint Remover or something similar that is used for car-parts and bicycle frames.

Take a look at the custom paint on the goalie mask I posted that my buddy did.  I can paint and air brush but not at that level.        The color on that is urethane base ,the shadowing and graphics is water base . Then it all gets clear urethane for depth and shine and durability.   The stuff that thins that is called reducer.  A urethane never completely hardens it gets a hard shell then it stays malleable.

the reducer applied to urethane to take it off brakes it down and makes it gummy.       Without knowing exactly what the skate is made from and how reducer is going to affect it I would not go near it with a solvent or chemical. 

I would mask off the surfaces that you don't want affected , then I would use a soda blaster to remove the factory graphics.  It is baking soda and compressed air.  You have to make sure you don't stay in one place.  After that process I would wet sand with soapy water  600,800,1200, then I would use mothers fine rubbing compound to make the surface baby but smooth, mothers wax will add a shine if you want 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Those are not my skates. I just found the image. I'd love to know what the guy used. The boots are so shiny still. I tried using a small amount of goof off to remove the graphics on my FT1s and it seemed to leave a dull finish underneath. I am worried that it is removing the outer lacquer on the skate. I just did a small test area. Not sure if I will proceed with a full decal removal yet.

The paint use for the graphics isn't laquer . Lacquer re catalyses the plastic and it dries but doesn't stick. And multiple coats just recatylises the next . It's a bloody nightmare.  

When I paint one of the custom motorcycles I build,  all the parts are from raw metal. It takes a year to build all the pieces so a protectant has to be applied to prevent rust . When the fabrication is done I wash the parts with prep solvent, then denatured alcohl, then use a tack rag on the part ,then I prime it with epoxy primer a couple coats then I do body work to make it perfect,,  you can use what ever paint you want on top of epoxy primer .         I wouldn't use solvent  , soda bast or scotch brite pads 

58 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

Take a look at the custom paint on the goalie mask I posted that my buddy did.  I can paint and air brush but not at that level.        The color on that is urethane base ,the shadowing and graphics is water base . Then it all gets clear urethane for depth and shine and durability.   The stuff that thins that is called reducer.  A urethane never completely hardens it gets a hard shell then it stays malleable.

the reducer applied to urethane to take it off brakes it down and makes it gummy.       Without knowing exactly what the skate is made from and how reducer is going to affect it I would not go near it with a solvent or chemical. 

I would mask off the surfaces that you don't want affected , then I would use a soda blaster to remove the factory graphics.  It is baking soda and compressed air.  You have to make sure you don't stay in one place.  After that process I would wet sand with soapy water  600,800,1200, then I would use mothers fine rubbing compound to make the surface baby but smooth, mothers wax will add a shine if you want 

Yes, that is why I brought up a Fiberglass paint remover. It is formulated not to affect 2-part resins such as used in fiberglass and carbon-fiber. I am hoping that there is no clearcote on this, so it is just a case of taking of the yellow paint, the buff it shiny. Sooner or later, abrasive action will require (although sodablasting is too weak to call it abrasive)

Playmakersedge,

These graphics are almost like stickers, they are very thin and flake off on their own. There doesn't appear to be much of a clear coat if any on top of them. What product would you use do you figure?

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Playmakersedge,

These graphics are almost like stickers, they are very thin and flake off on their own. There doesn't appear to be much of a clear coat if any on top of them. What product would you use do you figure?

Try putting a fresh piece of duct tape on the logo and press it down smooth. After a few minutes rip it off. From what it sounds like the logos may come off. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jason said:

Playmakersedge,

Probably not clear coated.  Have you tried to find footage of it being applied?  That may give a clue.  So of the auto graphics just needs a little heat and and getting under an edge with a single edge razor blade and heat and peel it . There is also a sticker and decal glue  removal wheel that doesn't ruin the paint.  I'm going to see if I can fin it .. Eastwood has these kinds of stuff 

On 12/10/2017 at 7:54 PM, Jason said:

Those are not my skates. I just found the image. I'd love to know what the guy used. The boots are so shiny still. I tried using a small amount of goof off to remove the graphics on my FT1s and it seemed to leave a dull finish underneath. I am worried that it is removing the outer lacquer on the skate. I just did a small test area. Not sure if I will proceed with a full decal removal yet.

Those were my skates that I sold before getting the FT1. 

On 12/12/2017 at 3:03 AM, Jason said:

Playmakersedge,

No clear on them. Just glossy screen printing. 

On 12/10/2017 at 10:04 PM, Kgbeast said:

I would be pretty surprised if goof-off or nail polish remover was at all effective on these graphics. I would expect this to be similar paint that is used on bicycles or at a very least crylon fussion.

The skates probably waxed and buffed that is why goof-off might leave a dull appearance. 

If I am right about the paint, one thing to try, would be Klean Strip Aircraft Fiberglass Paint Remover or something similar that is used for car-parts and bicycle frames.

Nail polish remover works fine. O used it on my Super Tacks. The ones that are pictured. 

On 12/9/2017 at 3:43 PM, ginjaninja said:

I'm imagining this with white laces and white holders.  That would be just amazing. Maybe I'm the only one who likes the plain classic look.

+1 from me my friend. Everyone is different though: this is MODSquadHockey after all haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

+1 from me my friend. Everyone is different though: this is MODSquadHockey after all haha.

I have the two pair of learning what sizes have done since the late 90's learning experience tacks  that I could experiment with . The nail polish remover I found in my house seams to be some non toxic citrus base stuff.  I got caught with it and quickly got the stuff taken away.  I mean she  freaked out.    

Not quite as good as the Tacks earlier in the thread, but I think thats primarily because of the edge of the vamp makes it look unpolished. But still nice!

• Like 1

Not bad Nicholas G. Nice work. Is the finish underneath less glossy than the Tacks or the same. You are using nail polish remover, correct? What brand? Also, what kind of a cloth or scrub pad would you recommend? Also, how long did it take to do? 

Edited by Jason

On 12/28/2017 at 2:39 AM, Gillsley said:

Well I got my super tacks today and removed the graphics in all of 20 minutes. Comparing pictures to the pair of super tacks posted earlier in this thread mine certainly don’t seem as glossy but overall I’m happy with how they turned out. Can’t seem to get the pic to post so here’s the link. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/cwcKS

Looks fantastic! Well worth the effort. I’m sure you could polish them easy enough if you wanted to. 

• Like 1