Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sabes35

HockeyTracker for Apple Watch

Hey guys, a friend on the hockey reddit told me about this forum.  I'm an independent iOS developer (and a hockey player) and was frustrated with the limitations of the Apple Watch Workout App for tracking my hockey.  So I decided to write my own app.  It's in beta right now and I have about 70 testers so far but could use a few more, not only to test out the current version for bugs and crashes but I've also started a Slack Channel so that you can leave your feedback but also guide the development as we go forward as far as new features etc.  I want this to be THE hockey tracking app BY hockey players.  

If you're interested in signing up for the beta (or if you just want to get on the mailing list to be notified when it's available) sign up here:  http://hockeytrackerapp.com/

Join our Slack here:  

https://join.slack.com/t/hockeytracker/shared_invite/enQtMjc2ODA3NTY3MzkyLTQ2NjdhYmQwMDk2NzQzMzgxOWY0M2U5OTEzNjFhNTVlZjQwNTUzODc4MzkzODA2MzMwOGZiNmRkNDU0MTBlNDI

Thanks!

Gary

• Like 2

I wear my watch for every game and look forward to testing your app. I was curious tho, can we still use the native workout function of the watch while we use your app?

5 minutes ago, Sabes35 said:

@NiCnoK good question, I'm pretty Apple only permits 1 workout to be started at a given time, but hopefully once you see the app you'll not want to use the native one. :biggrin:

I only ask because, like I've said, I already skate with the watch every game and I like seeing the results from a year or so of doing this. That said, your app looks waaay better than the native one. I'd be super cool to be able to look at things like shift times, average speed, etc. and see how they might change vis-a-vis wins / loses, close games / blowouts, etc. Can't wait to check it out.

On 12/8/2017 at 1:45 PM, NiCnoK said:

I only ask because, like I've said, I already skate with the watch every game and I like seeing the results from a year or so of doing this. That said, your app looks waaay better than the native one. I'd be super cool to be able to look at things like shift times, average speed, etc. and see how they might change vis-a-vis wins / loses, close games / blowouts, etc. Can't wait to check it out.

Ok I'm gonna sound like a dumb ass : how does the device know;  does it take vitals at a base then use increases to know when you are out on the ice ?  So with in the watch it has pick ups or transducers and a processor?   Spurs my curiosity oh how. 

I signed up but haven’t used it yet. Not sure how well it’d work for goalies. Obviously shift timer isn’t useful but if it has better output for heart tracking it may be worth it.

Hey guys, just wanted to post an update.  The beta is just about over, hoping to launch in the new few weeks.  You can now Pre-order the app in the app store at this link:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hockeytracker/id1297971760?ls=1&mt=8  you can also sign up to our email list to keep track of updates https://www.hockeytrackerapp.com  and don't forget to join our Slack Channel if you haven't yet, not only for this app but for general hockey stuff too:  https://join.slack.com/t/hockeytracker/shared_invite/enQtMjk0MjMwNTc2OTQ4LTM0NzZkZjQwOWEzMjY3ZWQyZDEwMzM1OGI5NDM1MzRmOGY5Yjg4Zjc2MjYzYTU4Mjg5N2IxMzU1YjRjOWRkYzk

Edited by Sabes35
  • Like 1

I've been using the app since late December.  Some nice changes have been made and like that I can track shift times, speed, and heart rate shift to shift as well as totals for the entire skate.  

Just seeing this and I'm excited for your idea! I wear my Apple watch and use the general exercise to stick and pucks and shinny, but I'm afraid to wear it in a full game since my wife dropped her Apple Watch onto tile from 3 feet and it cracked and she paid 300 dollars to fix it. Pretty expensive fix when the watch itself is 500. Just afraid of getting a back hack to the screen and cracking it.

Edited by theinfamoust94

bumping this topic to ask a few things.

I recently switched from Fitbit to Apple Watch and am doing the Hockey Tracker app on a trial basis. for the most part it seems pretty cool but I'm mostly concerned with calorie burn. when tracking on my Fitbit, depending on the game I would average anywhere from 600-800 calories burned depending on how many lines we had. for the Apple Watch's native tracking I was averaging roughly the same amount of "active calories". last night we had 2 lines and as a center I skated a lot. by the end of the game (three 25:00 run-time periods) the Hockey Tracker had only counted  297 calories burned which seems a bit low.

is it only counting calories burned while in the midst of a shift?

I'm also curious how it detects a shift. I had some shifts that were way too short (25 sec) and others that were way too long (4:11. at 48 years old there's no way I stayed out that long)

53 minutes ago, shoeshine boy said:

bumping this topic to ask a few things.

I recently switched from Fitbit to Apple Watch and am doing the Hockey Tracker app on a trial basis. for the most part it seems pretty cool but I'm mostly concerned with calorie burn. when tracking on my Fitbit, depending on the game I would average anywhere from 600-800 calories burned depending on how many lines we had. for the Apple Watch's native tracking I was averaging roughly the same amount of "active calories". last night we had 2 lines and as a center I skated a lot. by the end of the game (three 25:00 run-time periods) the Hockey Tracker had only counted  297 calories burned which seems a bit low.

is it only counting calories burned while in the midst of a shift?

I'm also curious how it detects a shift. I had some shifts that were way too short (25 sec) and others that were way too long (4:11. at 48 years old there's no way I stayed out that long)

Thanks for reaching out!  I actually just launched version 2.0, I'll make a separate post.... to your questions: (1) Calories are calculated using your actual movement on the ice, so it should be more accurate than the Fitbit...my guess is that the Fitbit was probably a little too high.   Keep in mind of course Calorie counts in general are just an estimate.  They're more useful as a comparison between workouts that the actual calorie count itself. (2) Shifts are detected given your movement, so if you aren't moving for a long time (for instance if there is an injury) or in between periods you should use the pause button to get more accurate shift times.  Another thing is to avoid counting your warm up as a shift it's best to start the workout right before the puck drops.  Thanks for giving HockeyTracker a look! 

Gary

Hey guys, wanted to let you know that HockeyTracker for Apple Watch 2.0 is out! I started developing the app this past fall after posting on this sub whether anyone would be interested in this type of app and getting a lot of interest. We turned that into a pretty extensive beta prior to launching 1.0 in January.

Version 1.0 was more or less a skeletal version of the app just to begin tracking and saving the hockey specific metrics.

Version 2.0 now adds a fresh UI design as well as an important historical section so that we can begin to see how our metrics are improving over time, especially those HT-custom metrics like Skating Efficiency and Hockey Fitness Ratio which really didn't mean much without the ability to track them between workouts. I've also added dedicated Goalie and Ref modes which I hope to expand on in subsequent updates.

Everything included in 2.0:

*Historical Section (see your stats and metrics graphs based on the week, month, or year). Drag your finger on the graph to see the data point.

*Fresh design and user interface (inside a workout, swipe left or right to navigate between your metric categories)

*You will now see your shift times graphed above the list of shifts

*Updated Watch UI with icons for metrics

*Dedicated Goalie Mode including the ability to add shots on goal and saves

*Dedicated Ref Mode

*Under the hood bug fixes and enhancements

Please check out the new version and let me know what you think. If you haven't yet please join our Slack community to contribute feedback, feature requests, and post your stats 👉https://join.slack.com/t/hockeytracker/shared_invite/enQtMzEwNTM5MjA3MDYzLWI3NThlMGNjMzQ2ZDg2ZDc4ODc0MTJlNGZjYzZmOGU5MmZmZDU1NmRlNzZlYjVmM2ZmMTc1MGNmMWQ3YjA3NjE

And if you could leave a rating or review that would be awesome too, they help as far as getting the word out to more and more hockey players around the world.

Thank you as always for your continued support! 🙏

Gary

appreciate the response. :) I was figuring that it was only counting calories while in the midst of a shift but wasn't sure. the only bad part about that is that even when you go back to the bench you're burning calories that you don't seem to get "credit" for. last night, for instance all rings closed except my Move ring. I was 30 calories short despite playing in a 90 minute hockey game. that doesn't seem right.

I will say though, I love the re-design for version 2.0

my first game on 7/1 was using v1.0 which was ok but the new version has a much better design and is so much cleaner. thank you so much for bringing this to beer leaguers everywhere. :)

3 minutes ago, shoeshine boy said:

appreciate the response. 🙂 I was figuring that it was only counting calories while in the midst of a shift but wasn't sure. the only bad part about that is that even when you go back to the bench you're burning calories that you don't seem to get "credit" for. last night, for instance all rings closed except my Move ring. I was 30 calories short despite playing in a 90 minute hockey game. that doesn't seem right.

I will say though, I love the re-design for version 2.0

my first game on 7/1 was using v1.0 which was ok but the new version has a much better design and is so much cleaner. thank you so much for bringing this to beer leaguers everywhere. 🙂

Thank you so much for the kind words! 🍻  So glad you are enjoying it and currently working on making it even better 👍

Wear OS is the new version of Android Wear. They just renamed it Wear OS because it's the OS for wearable products. I have a ticwatch S and that's what they use so you can download all apps from the Google Play store.