Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davekind

Best compresssion jock shorts

Any recommendations on compression jock shorts?  I've had 2 ec3d compression jock shorts and they simply don't last. The durability for something that's $109 should last longer than a season. 

I use the goalie version of these:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Bauer_NG_375_Elite_Padded_Hockey_Jock_Pant_Sr/descpage-BNEPJP.html

The goalie version does not have the cup part, but I use a big Jofa cup so I am not looking for an insert. Anyway, the material is soft and smooth and comfortable. I do not end up drenched in sweat, the 37.5 actually seems to work. The pants seem durable too and are holding up.

I have had long term groin issues since my hip surgery.  A friend recommended McDavid Cross Compression shorts. I now wear them under my Bauer Premium compression Hockey jock.  This is the most supportive solution I’ve found yet while still retaining maximum mobility. Very happy with these as a combo  

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/super-cross-compressiontm-short-w-hip-spica

I have Warrior Nutt Hutt compressin shorts. I've had them over six months, used for two sessions a week, and they are holding up. They seem okay. 

I was eyeing up those McDavid's, to hopelfully alleviate recurring hip/grain/leg pain,  and ran across a pair of under Armour shorts that look like they have the same support design, but have a cup and Velcro tabs. I don't have them, but am strongly considering them  

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Under_Armour_Coreshort_Pro_Comp_Hockey_Jock_w_Cup_Sr/descpage-1284735.html

Howdy,

What I'd like to find in terms of compression jocks is one where the "jock" part is separate/has its own straps, vs. just a pocket on the front for a cup.  I never get the bottom of the cup tight enough to my body with the pocket style.

I did a regular jock under a compression jock without the cup in place for a while, but got sick of having both and went back to a Bauer loose fit jock.  I miss the compression fit though.

Mark

2 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Very different. The UA support does not come under and around the adductors  those are useless for groin issues IMO. 

2 hours ago, start_today said:

I was eyeing up those McDavid's, to hopelfully alleviate recurring hip/grain/leg pain,  and ran across a pair of under Armour shorts that look like they have the same support design, but have a cup and Velcro tabs. I don't have them, but am strongly considering them  

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Under_Armour_Coreshort_Pro_Comp_Hockey_Jock_w_Cup_Sr/descpage-1284735.html

A bunch of guys that I skate with swear by these. I used to wear them, but I need compression all around my knees, and these stop atop the knee. Also, these tore apart on me anyway.

The best I’ve seen are the Bauer shorts because the cup goes on the INSIDE and holds it closer to the body. Anything with the pocket on the outside isn’t going to be as good.

Also the 37.5 is the real deal and totally worth it.

I've found Target's house-brand compression layers to be quite comfortable and pretty durable (just playing once a week, though).  However, they're not hockey-specific so, no velcro or tabs or anything. 

1 minute ago, badger_14 said:

I've found Target's house-brand compression layers to be quite comfortable and pretty durable (just playing once a week, though).  However, they're not hockey-specific so, no velcro or tabs or anything. 

This is what a I do, compression shorts of my choosing and then a separate jock (I use a cup and garter belt combo personally).

I have been wearing Shock Doctor pant jock for 5 years.  My son has wear the pant  jock as well. He is also wearing the core shirt with the elbow pad lock and loves that feature.

On 12/9/2017 at 12:17 PM, start_today said:

I've got an older pair of these that I picked up at an UA Clearance House for under $20 (no cup included, but I use the carbon Shock Doctor & it fits in these just fine).  They've held up well for me & I find them comfortable - I went up a size in these for a better fit..  I play about once a week & mainly use these compression jock shorts but I do have one other pair of a different UA model that the mesh on the backside has really separated & gotten thin with less usage.

On 09/12/2017 at 11:56 AM, dkmiller3356 said:

I have had long term groin issues since my hip surgery.  A friend recommended McDavid Cross Compression shorts. I now wear them under my Bauer Premium compression Hockey jock.  This is the most supportive solution I’ve found yet while still retaining maximum mobility. Very happy with these as a combo  

Those look awesome, I can see how they would be better for the groin than the UA ones.

I have the older version and the newer version of the UA ones, which have gone down in quality since UA bought out the original company (I can't remember the name at the moment). I wear them when I tweak or pull a groin if the injury isn't too bad. While I like the Pro UA ones as they keep my legs tighter, I found that when playing hockey they don't work very well as I can't get a cup to properly support the nether regions and the cup often shifts/slides all over.

Check out Shock Doctor. I use their padded compression shorts (pretty sure they're meant for football) but they work awesome. They have lots of offerings. 

On 12/9/2017 at 11:56 AM, dkmiller3356 said:

Is there any danger that constantly wearing the scipa support could weaken your groin? Similar to the concept that wearing "too much" of a knee brace can weaken your knee because you become overly reliant on it and don't develop the supporting muscles.

Really considering the McDavids, but I overthink everythings. 

I ended up buying the "regular" McDavid cross compression shorts, not the "super" ones that dkmiller posted. Definitely tighter and more "compression" than any other compression stuff I've worn.

I like them.  I have worn them under short and long style shock doctor compression pants. I don't notice them when I play.

It's only anecdotal, but I feel like I have less hip and knee pain when I'm done. I never had serious pain, but at night my joints would be uncomfortable, and I'd have to stretch extra to help alleviate it, and occasionally take Advil. I feel like I'm sleeping better after late games, and I don't get uncomforable sitting on the couch during the day if I play Saturday morning. 

Once I start playing again I am going to get a Shock Doctor short and cup combo.  I have enough compression tops from when I was a paramedic to last my entire playing career.

I've got 3, I mainly wear the Under Armour compression X core one (or whatever it is called), sometimes I wear the regular Under Armour one (the mesh has not held up on this one), & when I was skinnier I wore a Shock Doctor one with the extra hip padding.  I picked up the UA ones at an Under Armour Clearance House for under $15 each.  All 3 have the cup sleeve on the inside & they all have the velcro to attach your socks.

I thought I would offer my 2 cents.  I have a set of bauer compression tights and 2xu compression tights.  The bauers hold the cup better (more up and in place) less restriction of leg movement.  As IPv6freely said the cup is on the inside.  The other thing bauer has going for them is the 37.5.  The 2XU compression leggings are the hockey version with the velcro tabs.  I don't think they make them anymore but I found them on clearance and thought I would give them a try.  They have great compression tech in them and I feel the difference compared to the bauers.  Only problem with them is the cup is on the outside and that does mean the cup doesn't fit as well.  

One recent upgrade I did do which has made both tights 100% more comfortable and I recommend to anyone.  I recently upgraded to a shock doctor soft cup.  It is way more comfortable than my old cup and has really good protection.  If I was playing in a contact league or something I might consider a hard cups but for what I do it is plenty of protection.   

Bauer just needs to now actually offer a compression (real compression technology) tight with the inside cup and 37.5 

I've had the shock doctors for years and they are very comfy. I recently got Bauer's and they're ok. The actually short itself is fine but the edge around the actual cup isn't that comfortable. I might keep the Bauer short and put my shock dr cup in there. 

I like these because the neoprene strips give pretty good support of the hips and groin.  The CCM replacements have more rubber like strips over the same areas, but they seem to be discontinued.  If you need more support, they are a good choice.

https://discounthockey.com/collections/compression-pants/products/reebok-jock-11k-short-compression-senior?variant=724779939