Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skinni44

Stable26 socks

I know this is a long shot. I'm in the UK but have travelled to Canada with work a few times. Last time I was there a couple years again I got the stable26 socks.

2 things......have they gone out of business? 

And...

What are the alternatives?

I love them and have really odd feet so find it really hard to get foot heel lock without them but can't find them anymore. Have to keep repairing the ones I have.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, itslunchtime said:

I switched from stable26 to the bunga heel sleeves.

it is not the same feel, but for me it worked to fill the void in the heel of my skate.

How are they different from Stable 26 socks? I bought the socks last year, but didn’t like them. I ordered Bunga heel pads last week, just waiting for them to arrive.

4 hours ago, Shogun said:

How are they different from Stable 26 socks? I bought the socks last year, but didn’t like them. I ordered Bunga heel pads last week, just waiting for them to arrive.

The bunga heel pad has a gel layer that covers the achilles tendon, it does nothing to fill any negative space you may have under or around the ankle.

I keep an eBay saved search for "Stable 26". A couple weeks back I snagged a brand new pair for $0.99 plus shipping. 

10 hours ago, Vet88 said:

The bunga heel pad has a gel layer that covers the achilles tendon, it does nothing to fill any negative space you may have under or around the ankle.

Thanks :) I bought them because I have haglund’s on my right heel and I heard the Bunga pad’s help. 

8 hours ago, Shogun said:

Thanks :) I bought them because I have haglund’s on my right heel and I heard the Bunga pad’s help. 

It depends, I have just gone thru this and had surgery on my right heel. Your best bet is to get the heel pocket of the boot punched, this takes the pressure off the bump and decreases the risk of nerve damage across the top of the bump and irritation to the achillies. Add a pad to this and you are then doing the best you can to protect it and stop it from getting bigger. Don't do this and eventually it will come to a head requiring greater intervention. For me, I could have survived without the surgery after I punched my boots but I had some nerve irritation across the top of the bump that wouldn't go away so the surgeon decided to do nerve and bump at the same time. I'm considering getting the other heel done next year because it does get mildly irritated with the amount of skating I do, will wait and see how well this one recovers.

And btw, if this is caused by you playing ice and or inline hockey then its a good indication that 1: you pronate / supinate 2: your boot fit hasn't been good. Your foot rolls in the boot (especially when turning and accelerating), the outside of the heel comes into contact with the hard outer shell and bone growth results after constant pounding / rubbing. It's another reason why I went to no laces to skate and play:- reduced pressure on the achillies, improved foot stabilisation, understanding what a good heel lock means and better technique.

On 12/15/2017 at 4:29 AM, Vet88 said:

Not necessarily true for everyone - i have a very narrow heel and it works wonders to prevent slipping for me 

2 hours ago, itslunchtime said:

Not necessarily true for everyone - i have a very narrow heel and it works wonders to prevent slipping for me 

Then try this, take your laces out, put your skates on and jump over the boards a few times. Don't crunch your toes up to try and keep the boot on. If you feel like your heel isn't firm in the pocket then you have a fit issue you need to address. What boots are you in?

14 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Then try this, take your laces out, put your skates on and jump over the boards a few times. Don't crunch your toes up to try and keep the boot on. If you feel like your heel isn't firm in the pocket then you have a fit issue you need to address. What boots are you in?

Ill give it a go next stick&puck session - right how i am in a supreme for the width / depth

IMHO supremes and narrow heels don't go together. I have one100s and MX3's and have tried the 1s. With the bunga pad plus 2mm ezyfit booties over the top AND having clamped the boot under the ankle to try and improve the heel lock, I still slip in the heel pocket. The only time I have ever had a decent heel lock was recently when I put them on after my heel surgery and my ankle / heel was really swollen. Yay, heel lock. Length, heel, forefoot, volume - this is the order I try to fit people in for skates. My advice would be to try a jetspeed or current Reebok line for heel fit, you can address the volume and any potential lace bite issue in other ways than just normal lacing. 

On 2017-12-14 at 4:32 PM, skinni44 said:

I know this is a long shot. I'm in the UK but have travelled to Canada with work a few times. Last time I was there a couple years again I got the stable26 socks.

2 things......have they gone out of business? 

And...

What are the alternatives?

I love them and have really odd feet so find it really hard to get foot heel lock without them but can't find them anymore. Have to keep repairing the ones I have.

Thanks!

Hey bud.. ex-English guy here now living in Vancouver... what size are you? I have 2 pairs I can send, one for size 10+ and one for 8-10 shoe size..