Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beardacus

Which TRUE stick for my son?

My son really wants a True stick for Christmas but I'm not sure which line to pick from? I want to surprise him so your opinions will help me choose.

For what it's worth he plays defense but I am looking for the blade which has the best puck feel because I am trying to teach him to play with his head up. Initially I thought he would want a A6.0 since it seems tailored to a defense position but I think I have read that the XC9 has a better blade? 

He currently uses the Easton HTX but has also used Bauer 1x and Sherwood Ek15. He said he likes the HTX best from all sticks he has used.

Thanks guys.

1 minute ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

How old is he? what does he weigh? And what level does he play?

10 years old, 80 lbs, AAA level. I still have him using junior sticks because it saves me money and the length/flex seems to be just right with minimal cutting. 

If he shoots wrist shots primarily (as I imagine an 80lb 10 year old does), I'd go A-Series, 4.5 is plenty of stick for a player that size. I, personally, don't think you'll get $100 more performance and/or durability by stepping up to a 6.0 or XC9. Not for a player that size. 

Thanks guys. Is there a very noticeable difference in blade feel between the A and XC lines? Main thing I'm trying to do is to get him confidence to carry the puck with his head up so I'd like him to be able to feel the puck as good as possible. 

1 hour ago, beardacus said:

Thanks guys. Is there a very noticeable difference in blade feel between the A and XC lines? Main thing I'm trying to do is to get him confidence to carry the puck with his head up so I'd like him to be able to feel the puck as good as possible. 

At 10yrs old and 80lbs, IMHO, junior sticks should plenty of stick for him. 

Any way, I really loved the feel of my x-core 9. When i first got it, I could really notice the difference in feel from my other sticks.

But for me, just to throw this out there, my current favorite stick for feel is the Supertacks 2.0.

My son  has played with both the A 6.0 and the XCORE 9 and he very much preferred the A 6.0.  True makes a great stick and the durability was very good.     

Local prohockey has Bauer 1N on clearance for $80 but the worker there told me True sticks get no markdown for some reason. $149 for an A4.5 or $80 for a 1N? What stick do you think dad bought? :laugh:

3 hours ago, beardacus said:

Local prohockey has Bauer 1N on clearance for $80 but the worker there told me True sticks get no markdown for some reason. $149 for an A4.5 or $80 for a 1N? What stick do you think dad bought? :laugh:

Assuming the kid doesn’t care what stick he gets (you seemed to indicate he wanted True) then sure buying a clearance stick is going to be better on the wallet than buying one that isn’t. 

Our local store just started carrying the TRUE brand. They have some different/weird length and flex combos in the Junior sticks. Maybe I'm just so used to Bauer.