Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

salibandy

IMS 7.0 vs 11.0 fit

Hi everyone,

I have a Bauer IMS 7.0 size S helmet that I love; it's been the only helmet that I've worn that doesn't give me headaches. I've previously been in the original Re-Akt size S (temple pain), 4500 (temple pain) size M and Reebok 7k (temple pain) size M, and have tried the new Tacks 110 (temple pain) in size S & M. I'm afraid that the helmet is nearing the end of its lifespan and would like to get a new one.

The IMS 7.0 and 11.0 seem to be the same helmet except for the Poron in the front of the 11.0. Does anyone, especially those with wide heads, know what the difference in fit is like? A friend of mine in a 7.0 said he had tried the 11.0 but it fit differently. I live in a country where there isn't a hockey shop so I can't try it on.

Any help is much appreciated,
Mark

The shell of the IMS 11.0 and 7.0 are a bit different. The IMS 11.0 is a bit more streamlined. The IMS 11.0 is based off the Cascade M11 Pro and the IMS 7.0 is based off the Cascade M11. I used to own a Cascade M11 and an IMS 7.0 and have tried on both the IMS 11.0 and IMS 7.0. Here are my thoughts:

All the helmets use the same ratchet system and seven technology

Bauer softened the seven cylinders in the IMS versions to improve low impact protection. 

The IMS 11.0 also adds Poron (as you noted) and punctured holes in the foam to help improve ventilation. 

When looking at the M11 vs M11 Pro, it seemed that there were less gaps in the foams on the M11 Pro which I felt could've restricted airflow. I'm not sure how much the small holes Bauer made with the IMS 11.0 help, but they did try to at least partially address that issue.

From a fit perspective, I found the Cascade M11, IMS 7.0 and IMS 11.0 comfortable when trying them on. The M11 Pro didn't feel as comfortable to me, but the IMS 11.0 shell looks quite similar; perhaps the softening of the seven cylinders and addition of Poron helped with the comfort. So the IMS 7.0 and 11.0 don't fit exactly the same, but are very similar.

I was happy with the IMS 7.0 for ice hockey, but felt it got a little too hot for roller. I moved on to the Easton E700 which was also very comfortable for my head, but is lighter and has better ventilation. The Cascade and IMS 7.0 and 11.0 helmets are still some of the more comfortable helmets I've tried on though. I also felt the CCM Fitlite 3DS was quite comfortable when I tried that on and adjusted it with the microdial that adjusted the fit around your entire head.

I hope that helps. 

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

The shell of the IMS 11.0 and 7.0 are a bit different. The IMS 11.0 is a bit more streamlined. The IMS 11.0 is based off the Cascade M11 Pro and the IMS 7.0 is based off the Cascade M11. I used to own a Cascade M11 and an IMS 7.0 and have tried on both the IMS 11.0 and IMS 7.0. Here are my thoughts:

All the helmets use the same ratchet system and seven technology

Bauer softened the seven cylinders in the IMS versions to improve low impact protection. 

The IMS 11.0 also adds Poron (as you noted) and punctured holes in the foam to help improve ventilation. 

When looking at the M11 vs M11 Pro, it seemed that there were less gaps in the foams on the M11 Pro which I felt could've restricted airflow. I'm not sure how much the small holes Bauer made with the IMS 11.0 help, but they did try to at least partially address that issue.

From a fit perspective, I found the Cascade M11, IMS 7.0 and IMS 11.0 comfortable when trying them on. The M11 Pro didn't feel as comfortable to me, but the IMS 11.0 shell looks quite similar; perhaps the softening of the seven cylinders and addition of Poron helped with the comfort. So the IMS 7.0 and 11.0 don't fit exactly the same, but are very similar.

I was happy with the IMS 7.0 for ice hockey, but felt it got a little too hot for roller. I moved on to the Easton E700 which was also very comfortable for my head, but is lighter and has better ventilation. The Cascade and IMS 7.0 and 11.0 helmets are still some of the more comfortable helmets I've tried on though. I also felt the CCM Fitlite 3DS was quite comfortable when I tried that on and adjusted it with the microdial that adjusted the fit around your entire head.

I hope that helps. 

Hi mate,

Thanks for your extremely detailed reply. I have noted from scouring the forum that the 2 models do fit similar; I just wonder if my round head allows enough tolerance for the difference in fit for the same helmet size. I went down one helmet size in the IMS 7.0 compared to most helmets I tried, probably due to the wider fit.

When you say the IMS 11.0 is more streamlined, do you mean it is lower profile or do you mean it is narrower?

The E700 is one helmet that I definitely thought was narrower than most. I'm surprised that you seem to be able to fit such a (to me) narrow helmet. Might I ask if you yourself have a rounder head shape or a longer, more oval shaped head?

Once again, thanks for your reply,
Mark

I have 2 Cascade M11 in white and royal, and 2 Bauer IMS 7.0 in white and black.  I also have a round head and always had temple issues with every other helmet, so the M11 was a godsend when it came out (had been using an old Cooper SK600 for years).

Like althoma1, the M11 Pro and IMS 11.0 did not feel as comfortable, but for me the width worked in the same size.  The most significant difference was the M11/IMS 7.0 wrapped around on my head more, it just felt deeper, vs the M11 Pro/IMS 11.0 which I felt sat a bit higher and did not come down as low.

Tough to find either IMS 7.0 or IMS 11.0 these days, I see the odd one at the LHS (in funky colours), Pro Hockey Life, Sport Chek, or the cage combo at Canadian Tire.

I have also tried on the Warrior PX3, which seems to work for other round heads too.

3 hours ago, salibandy said:

Hi mate,

Thanks for your extremely detailed reply. I have noted from scouring the forum that the 2 models do fit similar; I just wonder if my round head allows enough tolerance for the difference in fit for the same helmet size. I went down one helmet size in the IMS 7.0 compared to most helmets I tried, probably due to the wider fit.

When you say the IMS 11.0 is more streamlined, do you mean it is lower profile or do you mean it is narrower?

The E700 is one helmet that I definitely thought was narrower than most. I'm surprised that you seem to be able to fit such a (to me) narrow helmet. Might I ask if you yourself have a rounder head shape or a longer, more oval shaped head?

Once again, thanks for your reply,
Mark

When I say the IMS 11.0 is more streamlined, I mean the shell is lower profile. I didn't find it narrower when I tried it on - I actually thought it was a touch more comfortable than the IMS 7.0 which suprised me as I didn't find the M11 Pro it was based on as comfortable as the original M11 than the IMS 7.0 was based on.

I believe I have an oval shaped head, but not a narrow head. I used to get headaches from an old Nike 004 I had (similar to a Bauer 4500) because it was too narrow for me near the temples in a large.

I used a large in the M11 and IMS 7.0 and have a large in the E700. Large is also what I tried on in the CCM Fitlite 3DS. The only helmet I had to drop down to a medium in when trying it on was the Bauer Reakt - that one fit me well enough too, but the IMS 9.0 that uses the same shell as the Reakt, but different padding (thicker) felt too small/narrow.

I couldn't fit comfortably in the old Easton S19, but the E700 is quite comfortable for my head. The S19 and E700 use the same type of shell, but have a different fit system. 

1 hour ago, titan1234 said:

I have also tried on the Warrior PX3, which seems to work for other round heads too.

I used the Warrior Krown LTE briefly, but for my head it left negative space (gaps) even when fully adjusted with the foreplay system. The IMS 7.0, M11 and E700 fit snug, but comfortably with no gaps or negative space. The CCM Fitlite 3DS fit snug with no gaps as well when fully adjusted.

Each head is different so it's tough to get the right fit without being able to try the helmet, but to me, the IMS 7.0 and 11.0 fit similarly and you should be the same size in both models. 

On 24/12/2017 at 5:40 AM, althoma1 said:

When I say the IMS 11.0 is more streamlined, I mean the shell is lower profile. I didn't find it narrower when I tried it on - I actually thought it was a touch more comfortable than the IMS 7.0 which suprised me as I didn't find the M11 Pro it was based on as comfortable as the original M11 than the IMS 7.0 was based on.

I believe I have an oval shaped head, but not a narrow head. I used to get headaches from an old Nike 004 I had (similar to a Bauer 4500) because it was too narrow for me near the temples in a large.

I used a large in the M11 and IMS 7.0 and have a large in the E700. Large is also what I tried on in the CCM Fitlite 3DS. The only helmet I had to drop down to a medium in when trying it on was the Bauer Reakt - that one fit me well enough too, but the IMS 9.0 that uses the same shell as the Reakt, but different padding (thicker) felt too small/narrow.

I couldn't fit comfortably in the old Easton S19, but the E700 is quite comfortable for my head. The S19 and E700 use the same type of shell, but have a different fit system. 

Mate,

thanks for all the detailed insights. I'm certainly going to find someone who has the 11.0 and try it out - hope that it'll fit my head and provide the same comfort as I know with the 7.0.

On 24/12/2017 at 3:55 AM, titan1234 said:

I have 2 Cascade M11 in white and royal, and 2 Bauer IMS 7.0 in white and black.  I also have a round head and always had temple issues with every other helmet, so the M11 was a godsend when it came out (had been using an old Cooper SK600 for years).

Like althoma1, the M11 Pro and IMS 11.0 did not feel as comfortable, but for me the width worked in the same size.  The most significant difference was the M11/IMS 7.0 wrapped around on my head more, it just felt deeper, vs the M11 Pro/IMS 11.0 which I felt sat a bit higher and did not come down as low.

Tough to find either IMS 7.0 or IMS 11.0 these days, I see the odd one at the LHS (in funky colours), Pro Hockey Life, Sport Chek, or the cage combo at Canadian Tire.

titan1234,

I worry about the 11.0 not sitting high on my head - that's what the Re-Akt did for me. I do think, however, that the Re-Akt was too narrow for me, and therefore that was the reason why it sat high. If the width was the same for you with the 11.0 and the 7.0, I might gice it a try. I definitely go look for someone here who has the 11.0 and see if it fits.