Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JimmyTheDriver

Pacific Rink "Player" Bag - so nice.

Finally broke out the bag this week, and I'm really liking it. In terms of storage it's 95% of what this pack rat wants. But I think I can make up that last 5% if I can find a container similar to the skate pockets that came with the bag. I wan to clip it into the interior of the bag for more organization/storage. That's the only place right now where it's coming out just a little short. The side pockets for tools, just aren't deep enough for some of my stuff. 

Otherwise, in terms of construction, there's a huge difference in weight of material compared to my old bag, but not in the weight of the overall bag. Definitely an up tick in quality all around for this bag. For the $124 I paid for it in a fire sale, it seems worth every penny and more. But at regular price, for me, it'd still be a tough pill to swallow. 

My bag is absolutely as organized as an office desk. After every game I unpack everything so it dries and doesn't smell, and make any repairs necessary, wash stuff, visor maintenance, etc. Before every game I make sure I have the correct uni/socks/shell, all clean laundry, enough tape and consumables, etc. And then I repack the back the exact same way I have for 25 years because it's packed that way for efficiency of getting dressed. 

So I totally get that some people use and like a large bag with one giant compartment and that works for them, but it would not work for me. In fact being able to organize my bag is an integral part of being able to get ready for a game. If you forget a piece of equipment because you don't repack it, that absolutely impacts your game. Maybe an elbow pad you can get by without, but forget your helmet, shin pad, glove? You're not playing. A well organized bag helps prevent that.

I'll get a lot of "I've never forgotten anything" comments but my point is that what works for some does not work for others. This bag looks great. When my old itech bag from the 90s finally wears out I'll definitely consider it. Especially since, as @marka said, "i can afford to spend whatever the fuck I want to on hockey gear." 

On 12/28/2017 at 4:55 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Both the bag and pond bag are very nice, but for that price, I'd prefer it to be made domestically.

Several friends have the player bag and tell me its well worth the money

On 12/30/2017 at 12:48 AM, IPv6Freely said:

I don’t have a problem with the price of it’s worth it. I don’t remember what the Mammoth bag retails for but I recall it being expensive but worth every penny. 

As a goalie, the Grit bags are also super expensive and also totally worth it. 

I care much more about value than price.

I have the original "IPA" bag from Mammoth (The one from the Kickstarter). Domestically made bag, for around $200 (The IPA 2.0 Is $219 + Tax & Shipping).

The IPA 1.0 is a no thrills bag, but it is built really solidly. The bag is great, and shows little to no wear or damage after being in and out of trucks and cars, dragged down steps, and used 3-5 times a week for a little over two years. The thing is a beast, and in my opinion, worth every penny. I would rather spend that $200 once, than spend $100 on a lower-tier bag five times ($500) over the same time-frame the $200 bag lasts.

2 minutes ago, JoeyJ0506 said:

I have the original "IPA" bag from Mammoth (The one from the Kickstarter). Domestically made bag, for around $200 (The IPA 2.0 Is $219 + Tax & Shipping).

The IPA 1.0 is a no thrills bad, but it is built really solidly. The bag is great, and shows little to no wear or damage after being in and out of trucks and cars, dragged down steps, and used 3-5 times a week for a little over two years. The thing is a beast, and in my opinion, worth every penny. I would rather spend that $200 once, then spend $100 on a lower-tier bag five times ($500) over the same time-frame the $200 bag lasts.

Agreed. Still the best bag I’ve ever had.

2 hours ago, JoeyJ0506 said:

The thing is a beast, and in my opinion, worth every penny. I would rather spend that $200 once, than spend $100 on a lower-tier bag five times ($500) over the same time-frame the $200 bag lasts.

This is the route I'm trying right now. Before I found for around $50 I could get a bag that fit my needs and would last me 4-5 years. But the last two bags I got only lasted me 2 years or so each. I was eyeing the Pacific Rink bag for a good six months, waiting for the Christmas sales to start. If I can get 5+ years out of this bag, which I think I will, I'll definitely be coming back for more.