Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CigarScott

Equipment Advice for Big & Tall adult rookie

Hello, 

I have always wanted to play hockey but my parents growing up were too cheap to pay for it. I got the opportunity to play lacrosse when I went to college and it is still my love but there really is no adult lax opportunities where I live. Now that my city has minor league hockey again, I've fallen back in love with the sport and would like to finally get on the ice myself, probably play defense since that is what I played in lacrosse besides be a goalie. So I'm in my mid-late 30's and not a normal sized dude; I'm 6'5", wear size 14 6E shoes, wear an 8 1/4 fitted hat and it should go without saying that I wear a 3xlt-4xlt shirt. So if anyone has any advice on what equipment I need to procure, please let me know. I really have no idea who has the most generous sizes when it comes to pads.

skates: Bauer Nexus 7000 size 12 EE (if I can track a pair down)

lid: Bauer 4500 or 5100, size XL (this seems to be the biggest helmet on the market)

pants: Tackla 851, size 60 (if I can track them down)

shin guards: no idea

gloves: no idea, will need 15"

elbows: no idea

shoulders: no idea

stick: no idea, will need 63-64" long, was told the Bauer Supreme series is good for defense

Any recommendations?

I think I can safely give the advice that anyone else will here. Try on everything you possibly can and buy whatever fits you the best. Obviously you will be in the xl sizing range so if you are heading to a shop I'd suggest you call ahead and check they have the sizes you are after. If you are struggling with one specific thing then members here will give advice or maybe have something for sale (eg I have some xl jofa elbows that might fit you if you have large forearms). For sticks though you want extra long, you can often find them on eBay as extra long pro stock sticks which are around 4" longer than stock retail. Otherwise you can buy retail and add an extension. As you are starting out I'd want to you to use around an 87 flex stick so you can learn to use the flex and shoot. For curve its really a matter of personal choice and technique but a P92 or similar is one of the most common curves used as it offers an all round performance. And don't get hung up on the brand, lol Supreme is no better than any other stick for playing D. But so saying you would ideally want to look for a mid kick stick (eg Supreme range) as I doubt you will be sniping much from in front of the goal and wanting to the load the stick fast with a low kick release. But at the end of the day any stick will work, to put a twist on an old saying, "it's the craftsman that counts, not his tools".

Shoulder Pads: I would maybe recomend the Sher-Wood 5030 in XXL because they have an adjustable lacing system in the front and the back if you do need that extra room. The new 5030 HOF could work too and have some nice upgrades, but they do not have the lacing system on the back, only the front. 

Shin Pads: The biggest stock shin pads I`ve ever seen are 18". I know that those were also carried in the Sher-Wood 5030 series, but I`m sure there are other options out there. You could probably get away with 17" though if you want a bigger selection as almost all shins guards are offered in 17".

Elbow Pads: I would probably recommend going with an XL soft cap. Soft caps are obviously more forgiving on their fit as they can be bent unlike a hard cap. Maybe again the Sher-Wood 5030 series or some Easton Pro 7`s if you can still find them.

Gloves: You should be able to find 15" in several different brands, but usually your 4 roll gloves have a bigger fit so try browsing 15" 4 roll gloves at your local store for something that feels good.

Stick: Most brands offer options for 64" sticks so no lack of options there. As a bigger guy, you might want something pretty stiff since, but as a beginner, maybe something a bit softer would help you learn to shoot better before eventually switching to something stiffer. Most 

I second what Vet88 says and will throw in my two cents... 

The skates are your number one priority and I highly recommend that you should work with a local hockey store to get the right ones to fit your feet.  Don't just try on a few pairs (or blindly trust that you or your hockey store rep know what's best for you), do your research on how to measure your feet (there's some good videos out there) and what a good fit should feel like.  Notice if there are any pinch points on your arches and/or anywhere else on your feet.  If they are uncomfortable in the store than this is going to be magnified on the ice.  Keep in mind you are strapping on a fixed plate to the bottom of your foot that won't flex/form like a normal shoe.  There will be some break in time for the skates and your feet but it's not going to go from uncomfortable to fuzzy slippers so do your best to get a good fit up front.

Behind skates, I suggest finding a good helmet that is perfectly comfortable at the local hockey store.  I tried on a helmet and noticed a slight snugness in the temple area (didn't think it would be a big deal) and found out it would give me excruciating headaches while playing.  A little more time in the local hockey store and I quickly found a helmet that fit with absolutely zero pressure anywhere around my head.

1 hour ago, CigarScott said:

shin guards: no idea

gloves: no idea, will need 15"

elbows: no idea

shoulders: no idea

stick: no idea, will need 63-64" long, was told the Bauer Supreme series is good for defense

Any recommendations?

Shin guards -  18" if you can find them

Shoulder pads - use the same size you wore with lacrosse shoulder pads

Elbow pads - use the same size you wore with lacrosse elbow pads

Here's what I would do, ask the guys on your beer league team if they have spares. Try them out. Try on as much as you can. And we have a minor league team in our city. They often have a used gear sale at the end of the season. That's likely in March. See if you can get some stuff there. I was a novice a few years ago and I used this site to ask questions of literally every piece of gear I bought. It's tough. But try to use as much as you can. 

People have commented here and I agree. Don't worry about the name brands. Get what feels good to you and what you like to wear. The sticks and the skates, on some levels, are so advanced that novices aren't going to know how to use them. Get something middle of the road at first. The only thing I'd spend big bucks on, at first, are skates and the brain bucket or helmet. And do go to a local skate shop. Support local as they are the ones who will sharpen your blades, adjust the runners if necessary, and other things. Have fun. 

Andy in Peoria. 

3 hours ago, Top Cheddar said:

Shoulder Pads: I would maybe recomend the Sher-Wood 5030 in XXL because they have an adjustable lacing system in the front and the back if you do need that extra room. The new 5030 HOF could work too and have some nice upgrades, but they do not have the lacing system on the back, only the front. 

Shin Pads: The biggest stock shin pads I`ve ever seen are 18". I know that those were also carried in the Sher-Wood 5030 series, but I`m sure there are other options out there. You could probably get away with 17" though if you want a bigger selection as almost all shins guards are offered in 17".

Elbow Pads: I would probably recommend going with an XL soft cap. Soft caps are obviously more forgiving on their fit as they can be bent unlike a hard cap. Maybe again the Sher-Wood 5030 series or some Easton Pro 7`s if you can still find them.

Gloves: You should be able to find 15" in several different brands, but usually your 4 roll gloves have a bigger fit so try browsing 15" 4 roll gloves at your local store for something that feels good.

Stick: Most brands offer options for 64" sticks so no lack of options there. As a bigger guy, you might want something pretty stiff since, but as a beginner, maybe something a bit softer would help you learn to shoot better before eventually switching to something stiffer. Most 

Good call on on the Sher-wood shoulder pads. I found some NOS ones on Ebay and will order them.  Keep the recommendations coming.

13 minutes ago, akravetz said:

Here's what I would do, ask the guys on your beer league team if they have spares. Try them out. Try on as much as you can. And we have a minor league team in our city. They often have a used gear sale at the end of the season. That's likely in March. See if you can get some stuff there. I was a novice a few years ago and I used this site to ask questions of literally every piece of gear I bought. It's tough. But try to use as much as you can. 

People have commented here and I agree. Don't worry about the name brands. Get what feels good to you and what you like to wear. The sticks and the skates, on some levels, are so advanced that novices aren't going to know how to use them. Get something middle of the road at first. The only thing I'd spend big bucks on, at first, are skates and the brain bucket or helmet. And do go to a local skate shop. Support local as they are the ones who will sharpen your blades, adjust the runners if necessary, and other things. Have fun. 

Andy in Peoria. 

Yes, I like to support local. I live in Birmingham with a metro population of a million and the only hockey shop is the one at a suburban municipal rink and it's about the size of my apartment bedroom so I want to do all I can to keep them in business especially since before the resumption of minor league hockey the municipality was talking of shutting the complex down or selling it. The Bauer Nexus 7000's appear to be about the most affordable skates that I can squeeze my feet into. I'm not dropping $900 on some pro level skates just for relearning how to skate and to play occasional beer league hockey.

I ordered the Sherwood 5030 in XXL off Ebay; they look like NOS and look like I can modify them to fit; thanks for the suggestion.

According to my LHS, Bauer won't get anymore Nexus skates in my size until June. They had the Supreme s170 in my size in stock so they ordered them for me and can return them if they don't fit right. If not, then I'll have to wait until June to get my hands on the 2018 Nexus 7000's.

Find a shop that carries Tackla and talk to them about special ordering a pair that will fit. Tackla has larger waist sizes as well as the option to add or reduce the inseam length. 

7 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Find a shop that carries Tackla and talk to them about special ordering a pair that will fit. Tackla has larger waist sizes as well as the option to add or reduce the inseam length. 

I've been looking. My LHS said they haven't carried them in years. I'm gonna have to dig around and see who still regularly deals with them.

2 hours ago, CigarScott said:

I've been looking. My LHS said they haven't carried them in years. I'm gonna have to dig around and see who still regularly deals with them.

Looks like you can contact them directly- not sure if they sell direct (on the site it seems to imply they do) but they will surely point you in the right direction.

https://www.tackla.com/contacts

53 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Looks like you can contact them directly- not sure if they sell direct (on the site it seems to imply they do) but they will surely point you in the right direction.

https://www.tackla.com/contacts

I sent a message to them yesterday; haven't heard back from them yet.

I am 6'2, 215 lbs; pretty much a Large/ XL in just about all elements of gear, except the Bauer 1S pants. For whatever reason, I am a Medium. This may give you some hope that you can get into an XL or even maybe a Large? (and thus not have to track down hard-to-find Tacklas).

For shins, I am in 17 inch Reebok 20Ks, so I am guessing that puts you in 18 or 19 inch? I am 16 inch in Bauer Nexus., which makes you a 17 or 18 in Bauer, I suppose. 

For gloves, yea you sound like 15. I am 14.

For elbows, I am Extra Large in CCM Quicklite, so Quicklite is out of the question for ya. Perhaps the Supertacks XLs will work, or maybe the Warriors Dynasty Pro line. I think I was a Medium in the Dynasty Pros, so that should give you some space in the Large or XL.

For shoulders, you may run into problems. I am XL in just about everything, and have never seen XXL. Maybe the CCM SuperTacks might work? Maybe I am Large in those, not really sure. I know I am XL in the CCM RBZ (pre Quicklite line).

Cannot really help you with skates and helmet, those are the most personal anyway with the ability to just size yourself up and order, and you seem to be on it. I do recall that the Bauer Re-AKT helmet, the original one from 3-4 years ago, "lied" in terms of sizing, meaning that I sized up as a Large I think, but I was really a Medium. So, there may be some room in the  XL Re-AKTs if they are sizing like they used to.

On 1/3/2018 at 6:41 PM, CigarScott said:

Yes, I like to support local. I live in Birmingham with a metro population of a million and the only hockey shop is the one at a suburban municipal rink and it's about the size of my apartment bedroom so I want to do all I can to keep them in business especially since before the resumption of minor league hockey the municipality was talking of shutting the complex down or selling it. The Bauer Nexus 7000's appear to be about the most affordable skates that I can squeeze my feet into. I'm not dropping $900 on some pro level skates just for relearning how to skate and to play occasional beer league hockey.

Don't spend big bucks until you are sure you wanna play. Guys on your team or in your group will have spare gear. Borrow and try out as much stuff as you can within reason (a jock you can get yourself. :) ) But I say that as things all different. Most guys love Vapor from the Bauer line. I can't wear them as it's too narrow for my feet (skates) but I like the shins (not the shoulders). My point is that you can see what you like after a few games or stick and pucks. I'm a late comer to the sport as well so that's what worked for me. And try to find a used gear sale. 

Andy In Peoria

For gloves, I haven't seen anything past a 15" so I'll have to go with those. I'm going to check and see what the local Play it Again Sports has and if they don't have anything that works, check out gloves the next time I'm in Atlanta. I did find a pair of used 15" Bauer supreme 150 gloves in my local Facebook group for $15 that I'll pick up if I hear back from the seller and they are in decent shape.

I just ordered the Sher-wood 5030 in XXL on Ebay and they should arrive from Canada in the next week or so. Those were the only shoulder pads larger than XL that I've ever seen and that was due to the helpful suggestions on here.

The LHS in Atlanta has a Bauer 4500 in XL that I'll check out the next time I'm over there.

I'll have to try on elbow pads the next time at the LHS in Atlanta and look for the makes and models that you all suggested.

Shins I'll have to wait on until I get skates. I actually may need shorter than 18". Even though I'm 6'5", I have short legs, I just need ones that are generous horizontally.

For skates, I can't find anyone that has a pair of Nexus S7000 in 12EE. My local LHS ordered a pair of Supreme S170, I believe for me to try on. If those don't work, I'll have to wait until June when Bauer gets their stuff in for the 2018 season.

For pants, I'm still scouring the web for size 60 Tackla. I contacted them directly and never heard back from them. I contacted Montreal Hockey which I think is their distributor and they only had a size 60 girdle on hand and no pants. He said that they may get more later in the summer.

1 hour ago, SirJW said:

For shin size you need to consider if you want to go over or under your tongue. 

Right, which is why these will be the last piece of gear that I buy. I believe I would go over just help with ankle support but I'll figure it out after I relearn how to skate.

Some pants come in a tall size, I can wear a medium tall in Bauer & I like the length (I have a pair of prostock Bauer's that are +1" too).  You might want to see what you can find in that area, as I know not every line/model has the tall or + option.

5 hours ago, LoneStar77 said:

Some pants come in a tall size, I can wear a medium tall in Bauer & I like the length (I have a pair of prostock Bauer's that are +1" too).  You might want to see what you can find in that area, as I know not every line/model has the tall or + option.

The weird thing about me is that even being as tall as I am, I have relatively short legs. My pants only have a 30" inseam so I think regular length will be fine. The only pants that I could find were the Tackla 900 in regular length, which should be showing up next week.

For gloves you need 15” prostock, the off the shelf ones are smaller. I’m only 6’3” but my hands are huge. 

For pants get on SidelineSwap, you can get XL +2” there

for shins I’m sure most 17” will work for you. 

Your LHS will have elbow pads that work for you. 

You’re definitely going to be a Nexus guy. 

On 1/10/2018 at 10:49 PM, CigarScott said:

The weird thing about me is that even being as tall as I am, I have relatively short legs. My pants only have a 30" inseam so I think regular length will be fine. The only pants that I could find were the Tackla 900 in regular length, which should be showing up next 

Just an update on what I've been able to get my hands on.

skates: Bauer Nexus 7000 size 12 EE (will have them next week)

pants: Tackla Pro 9000, size 60 

shoulders: Sherwood Vintage 5030, size XXL

stick: a couple sticks from prostockhockey.com

gloves: Bauer Supreme 150 15" - got used locally

I'm heading to St. Louis in a few weeks to try the other items on at the Pure Hockey locations. Has anyone ever heard of a company that make custom helmets in case I can't squeeze into a 4500 or 5100?