Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cause4alarm

Green Biscuit Pro

For my purposes, I think the Green Biscuit Pro is inferior to the original.  The difference between the two is that the Pro has rubber edges for grip to further simulate the feel of a regular puck. 

The bad news is that the extra grippiness actually causes the puck to flip over even more.  The good news is that the rubber is removable--they're like two rubber bands you can just take off. 

I also found that, with the rubber in place, the puck flips over more on my backhand side.  On the other hand, with the rubber removed, the puck has a slight tendency to flip on my forehand side.

Note that I'm practicing on a smooth wood surface with a taped blade.  The Green Biscuit was designed for best use on rough surfaces.  I haven't tried just a regular roller hockey puck yet, so it's possible I just overspent on this product ($11).

2 hours ago, cause4alarm said:

Now I do.

I wouldn't worry about that. Stick handling with any puck off ice will tend to roll because of the added friction.

I'd recommend using a real roller hockey puck since you're on a smooth surface. I like the IDS proshot and the rocket puck 

I play roller hockey so if you want any more roller hockey puck info let me know I've used most of them

8 hours ago, cause4alarm said:

Now I do.

Sorry about that. I've been using dry land training tiles for years, and before that I was practising on old, dusty linoleum. In both cases I found I didn't have much trouble stickhandling regular pucks or the regular green biscuit. Never tried the Pro. But I have a dedicated off-ice stick that only has a small strip of tape on each side of the blade, leaving the tops and the bottom of the blade bare.

Maybe try a bare blade, or if you don't want to deal with stripping tape each time you just want to goof around, try covering the blade up with sock tape to reduce friction and see if that makes a difference.

14 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Do you think it's possible that maybe it's just revealing a quirk in your technique?

Come to think of it, I had problems with off ice pucks, even inline pucks, when I first started using them. puckpilot does bring up a good point, it might be something to think about, @cause4alarm

On 1/5/2018 at 2:58 AM, salibandy said:

It's this one, bud.

I never knew about this one. Seems to be the perfect off ice puck. I like the original Green Biscuit, but it breaks if you shoot it. Whenever I stickhandle around my house, I cannot help but want to end a toe drag with a snap shot, and end up lightly shooting this thing often. So far, no breakage. Jeremy from YouTube seems to like this one (I never tried it, was sold out when I wanted to order a month or so ago):

https://www.hockeyshot.com/STEDOL-Dangle-Hockey-Training-Puck-p/puck-029.htm

On 1/5/2018 at 1:21 AM, puckpilot said:

Sorry about that. I've been using dry land training tiles for years, and before that I was practising on old, dusty linoleum. In both cases I found I didn't have much trouble stickhandling regular pucks or the regular green biscuit. Never tried the Pro. But I have a dedicated off-ice stick that only has a small strip of tape on each side of the blade, leaving the tops and the bottom of the blade bare.

Maybe try a bare blade, or if you don't want to deal with stripping tape each time you just want to goof around, try covering the blade up with sock tape to reduce friction and see if that makes a difference.

I thought about that.  It seemed easier to take off the rubber grips and keep the tape on the blade.  I am curious to know how the tape-less blade feels with the rubber grip intact feels, so I'll try that eventually.

12 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I never knew about this one. Seems to be the perfect off ice puck. I like the original Green Biscuit, but it breaks if you shoot it. Whenever I stickhandle around my house, I cannot help but want to end a toe drag with a snap shot, and end up lightly shooting this thing often. So far, no breakage. Jeremy from YouTube seems to like this one (I never tried it, was sold out when I wanted to order a month or so ago):

Video looks pretty good.  

Years ago I bought a Franklin Roll-A-Puck, and let's just say that my life didn't change.

14 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I was able to get a Dangle Puck finally.  I dunno, it's not as good as advertised.  The puck sometimes spins in an unexpected direction, so I end up mishandling the puck.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:40 PM, qmechanic said:

I was able to get a Dangle Puck finally.  I dunno, it's not as good as advertised.  The puck sometimes spins in an unexpected direction, so I end up mishandling the puck.

I ordered two, in order to get a deal on shipping. I've found that one "rolls" much further and truer than the other. For all I know, neither works as well as they should, but I'm pleased with the movement of the better one.

I ordered a couple dangle pucks for my daughters and they love them. They have been using them everyday for the last month. My 9 year old even brings it with to games for warm ups. One had some flashing around the area where the ball was underneath and the other was clean. I cleaned up that before they used them and they both work well. No rolling or anything. They have been saucer passing them in to a passer and most of the time it returns with no drama. Definitely recommend it.

Howdy,

7 minutes ago, cause4alarm said:

Wait a second...does the Dangle Puck only work on one side?

Yes.

I was initially pretty worried about that, as normally when I stick handle a regular puck on shooting tiles it tends to flip easily, but either the reduced friction due to the bearing or the more plasticy material (or both) mean that it doesn't seem to do that.

I've liked mine in the limited use I've had with it.

Mark

I just got the Dangle puck as well.  I've tried about 5 or 6 different "off ice pucks" to see which one is MOST like a puck on ice, and I think the Dangle puck, when used on tiles, is the closest thing to an ice hockey puck on ice.  

On 1/4/2018 at 2:58 PM, salibandy said:

It's this one, bud.

I finally got one!

It's a little lighter.  The regular Green Biscuit is already pretty good, but on parquet flooring, the RH version is superior because it's faster.  It might be slightly more prone to flipping over, due to the pegs, but that's outweighed by the improved speed.  

I don't have any issues stick handling my regular green biscuit on a smooth surface (with flipping, etc), but I'm also using a PM9 curve.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:57 PM, g3k said:

I don't have any issues stick handling my regular green biscuit on a smooth surface (with flipping, etc), but I'm also using a PM9 curve.

I was using the "Pro" version with the rubber grip.  Once I took off the rubber, it was more stable.