Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leif

Bauer hybrid visor cage

I have a face cage, as I don’t want a facial injury. I’ve taken a slap shot in the face before, and heard the clang as puck hits steel. I see that Bauer make a hybrid consisting of a polycarbonate visor and a wire cage for the lower face. Would this fit my Bauer 4500 helmet, and what do people think of it? I noticed the Canada women’s hockey team in Sochi 2014 mostly wore wire cages suggesting the hybrid is not so good. 

Second the above.  Hybrid is heavier.  I have the concept iii and I love it.  I used to only wear a visor but after a stick to the face, stitches and a fake tooth i put a cage on.  I didn’t like the reduced visibility so I went with the bubble.  Lots of guys in my leagues have them.  Just Use Oakley anti fog spray or pledge and you should have no issues.

I grew up wearing a cage. I wanted a hybrid after watching Team Iceland in Mighty Ducks 2. I finally got one as an adult when I could buy my own gear. It worked really well but fogged up on me at times. Used it for almost 10 years and it finally got too scratched up and had to be replaced.

I went back to a cage to see if it would mess with my vision. It’s so much lighter with a cage and the air flow is much better so it’s a cooler. I don’t think I’d go back to a hybrid. You do lose something with those bars on the cage. But the weight savings, cooler air flow, no maintenance/cleaning, and less fogging are more beneficial to me. 

Try it out. The things that matter to me may not bother you. I used it for a long time, so it wasn’t that bad. But I think I figured out what works best for me.

9 hours ago, yipperzz said:

You do lose something with those bars on the cage. But the weight savings, cooler air flow, no maintenance/cleaning, and less fogging are more beneficial to me. 

Yes, and the new titanium cages (both the Bauer Reakt and CCM Fitlite) have flatter bars, are even lighter and more resistant to rust (I've never had a titanium cage rust and I've used one since the Itech Titanium days).

I currently use the Hybrid and I like it a lot. Yes, it's a bit heavier, but you don't notice it once it's on your head and strapped up. I have zero issues with fog on mine, which is on a Bauer Re-akt 75 and before was on a Nike Bauer 5500. The nice thing about it is that if the visor gets messed up, you can replace just the visor instead of buying the entire thing. If I stopped using it, I'd go back to just a visor.

Mine didn’t fog up very often. If I could guess, it would have been less than 10 times in the many years of owning it. When it happened, it was really annoying. But it took specific conditions to trigger it. It may have something to do with being in a warmer climate like So. Cal. During the times it fogged up, othrs on the rink with a full shield or hybrid had the same problem. Others may play in areas where it won’t happen as often.

I was just bringing this up since a cage would not have this issue by design. I would not recommend against a hybrid, but I would want to make sure the OP is aware of issues that I have experienced in the past. There are a few products that I would recommend against purchasing and this is not one of them.

I had two of the Bauer hybrid cages, and both cracked at the connection point between the visor and cage part after about 6 months.  I use a concept III now, and while it is lighter, the airflow isn't as good so it fogs up quicker.  Still better than a cage for me, I have too much trouble with the bars. 

I use either Lemon Pledge or Turtle Wax spray to prevent fogging.  With Pledge, it takes longer to fog up, but when it does it is more difficult to clear.  Turtle wax fogs quicker, but is clears up faster/easier.  YMMV. 

I usd a concept 3 for a while. Initially loved it, But had some games where fogging was really bad and I got tired of fighting with it. I tried all sorts of stuff like pledge, dish soap, anti fog spray. Switched to a white, flat bar cage and I am happier. I never notice it, way cooler with airflow. 

On 1/5/2018 at 3:19 AM, yipperzz said:

I grew up wearing a cage. I wanted a hybrid after watching Team Iceland in Mighty Ducks 2. I finally got one as an adult when I could buy my own gear.

^^^^^^ This is living your best life. 

I have used the hybrid and did not like it. I was always sweating into the visor every time I leaned over my stick, and it was hot. 

I have used a few cages, and the most important thing is that the cage is white on the inside (to camo out the ice when you look down so all you see is puck and are notl looking through boxes if the cage is silver or black. 

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I have used the hybrid and did not like it. I was always sweating into the visor every time I leaned over my stick, and it was hot. 

That’s a good point, I drip with sweat while on ice. That is one reason I cannot wear glasses while playing. 

21 hours ago, Leif said:

That’s a good point, I drip with sweat while on ice. That is one reason I cannot wear glasses while playing. 

I sweat a river also. When wearing glasses I use a headband and have a cloth shammy lining the helmet. No sweat on my glasses and after a hard practice / game I can wring nearly a cup of water out of both. 

The flat bars made a world of difference. I had an old Jofa cage before that always felt like I was it was in the way. Switched to a CCM Res 300 white. Never, ever notice it. I actually feel like I see better than with the CIII, which is weird

An update: I bought a Bauer Concept 3 after seeing that many players in the women's Canada Olympic ice hockey team are wearing them. Tried it out this morning, and oh my, condensation was dripping down the inside, it was awful. I suspect the humidity and cold air in our rink do not suit a Concept 3. And maybe I sweat a lot, people do comment that in public sessions I am sweating, due to pushing myself. They warned me at the shop that some users report that it steams up, but the only way to find out is to try one. Such is life.

The titanium cage is going back on. :smile:

Have you looked into a Zero one hybrid from boulder hockey company? I have one and i love it, No fogging issues lots of air flow and its not to heavy. Give them a look.

I did but they are not sold in the UK, so the cost, plus shipping plus taxes would be quite high. I’ll be okay with a cage, face protection is number one for me, I was hoping though for a better view.