Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlyChicaga

Another curve thread

I need some advice here about a curve. I've tried a few different patterns lately and I'm struggling to find one I like. I still look back and think the best one I've ever had is the W88 QR1 stick I had which broke two years ago. I'm not a fan of the P92, and I'm currently using two P106s, and I'm not sure I like them. I also have two P30s which I really like for stickhandling and passing, but my shooting has been "eh." I have to do the "Matthews" drag and shoot to really rip it. When I do that though, I can put the puck where I want it and the release is fast.

In terms of playing style, I'm a two-way defenseman who joins the rush in the offensive zone fairly often and occasionally will take shots from down low or the high slot. For point shots, I'd say 75% are quick release wrist shots trying for a deflection, and 25% are slap shots when I actually get a good lane and want to put it on net for a deflection or rebound.

When I'm shooting down low, I sort of do the "Kessel" off my back leg, shooting with my hands out in front. I also feel I somewhat shoot from the toe, and from what I've read, the P28 may be a good curve for that shooting style. However I also know that it is a hard curve to get used to.

At this point I'm torn between going back to the P88, or giving the P28 a shot. I basically want a curve that will let me have accurate 100-foot stretch passes, is accurate for shooting, and won't have the puck go two feet over the net with a slapshot.

Any help here is appreciated. I'm getting really frustrated here.

Howdy,

Keeping in mind that I totally suck, I found the biggest challenge going from the P88 (actually Warrior W88 and True MC) to the P28 (actually, True TC4) was that my backhand passes/shots basically went entirely away.  In between on the way back to the P88 I tried the P92 (actually True TC2.5) and while I had decent backhands, I kept unconsciously 'scooping under' the puck on forehand stuff.

Anyway, I assume that you're way the hell better than me, but I thought a note about the backhand differences I had might still be useful.

Mark

Based on your description, I would just go back to the P88. But, certainly getting a cheap stick with a P28 to try isn't a bad idea.

I tried a toe curve for the first time last year and I really struggled with it. The only benefit was I could easily roof the puck from half a foot out, but everything else was worse.

Historically, I used a PM9 curve and also shot from the toe, so I wouldn't lock in too much to a particular curve to match a particular shooting style. Just go with what works best, but at the moment, it sounds like that a P88.

Because of the number of variables (including personal preference) it is generally impossible for someone else to recommend a pattern simply based on one's style of play. The best advice anyone can give is this; when you find that blade that truly works for you, stick with it as long as you can. Any single variable or combination thereof can throw off how you perform with a blade, be it curve, lie, rocker, length, width, toe shape........etc.

I think the PM9 or the MC2 from True (which is essentially a PM9) could be the answer. Not as much hook as the P88, but it's a really solid curve. I've been thinking of switching over to it, but for me, I'm in deep with the TC2 from True.

I went from the P88 to the P46 before going to the P28/E28/TC4. As @chippa13 mentioned, there are many variables that each of us players factor into our blade of choice. What one can't deny is the *28 curve encourages the player to favor the toe. Every player is different but I've been using the curve for a couple of years now and I've used less heel than ever. 

I use a p28 as a forward playing mostly center or right wing. My style is shifty and Quick movements, so mostly snap shots and Quick wristers in right, But I’m also a passaholic.  What I can tell you is the backhand stuff is a challenge shots and passes take a little extra focus.  The forehand stuff is ridiculously good though. I find it very easy to shoot and elevate pucks, actually pretty hard to keep them low 😂.  If you watch all the 12 year old kids on YouTube doing toe drags for days then this stick is for you.  I find it to be accurate for passing as well (forehand) and as I said im a passaholic to the point it drives my teams nuts sometimes.  

For a defenseman that’s looking for low shots and deflections, and probably working both sides of the stick, you’re probably better off with something else, not that you can’t make it work, but I would think there are better options.  

I used a p92 before this and I miss the backhand capabilities of that but the forehand trade off for me was worth it.  

Here's an example of how different things can be from person to person. When I went from a P92 to a P28 I found my backhands improved. The pocket in the P28 is more toward the toe so there's more flat area on the back hand to work with. 

Right now I flip flop between the P92 and the P28. it all depends on how I'm feeling that night. For the most part, for me, the two blades play quite similar, except with the toe shooting. 

Any way, if the W88 is what works best for you, why reinvent the wheel unless you have a specific idea of why you want to make the change.

Last I checked, Verbero was selling P88 and P28 blades for like $29.99 each. So, if you have a shaft that you like or want to buy one for cheap (again, Verbero has reasonable prices on shafts), then you can try them both before you splurge on a top end stick. I have used 88, 28 (and 92) and find huge flaws with all, mostly due to my suspect mechanics (I am kind of self taught and thus have many bad habits). The curves themselves I am sure are fine; it's just how I interact with them, that leads to unfavorable hockey outcomes.

The P30 suits me perfectly. Most beer leaguers and NHL'ers alike do not seem to like this curve (you too, apparently). I guess it just suits the mechanical variations in my shot, and that seems to be the key to finding the right curve (whichever curve has you improving your game by basically just being yourself and not doing anything differently, is the right curve for you ... and if you are screwing up and realizing that a different curve would have given you a more favorable outcome, then that is not the right curve for you - this is my theory anyway).

2 hours ago, BureKovy said:

No chance of getting the p30 in a tapered blade.  I want to try it.

IMO, recent development of the stick industry's tech, has obsoleted the 2 piece (which I stocked up on a few years ago, thinking it was such great technology). The $100 budget stick (well, at least the CCM Super Tacks 2.0 budget offering- I cannot speak to other $100 sticks as I have not tried any others) seems to be on par with the $250 stick from 2-3 years ago. So, figure the super budget version (the 3092) for the price of a tapered blade, may be about on par with mid level offerings from a couple years back. 

Another option is to post in the BASE Hockey Blade request thread. I think if you can get 16 or 24 orders then they will make the mold.

If for whatever reason CCM ever decided to discontinue the P30, then I'd push it via the BASE forum. Not saying it would get the necessary traction, but I'd ante up for however many it would take, to get BASE to make the mold.

Thanks for the feedback. I probably will not look at the P28, what works for Erik Karlsson likely won't work for me. I was really hoping I'd like the P30. I like it for picking up pucks, stickhandling, most passing. I just don't like it for shooting. The P106 seems OK enough, I just need to figure out how to control my slapshot. I just picked up a 1N pro stock used for $60 in a P88-type curve, I'm going to give this a shot again and see how things go.

I REALLY wish my LHS had a place where we could test out sticks and curves, instead of all this trial and error.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:56 PM, FlyChicaga said:

Thanks for the feedback. I probably will not look at the P28, what works for Erik Karlsson likely won't work for me. I was really hoping I'd like the P30. I like it for picking up pucks, stickhandling, most passing. I just don't like it for shooting. The P106 seems OK enough, I just need to figure out how to control my slapshot. I just picked up a 1N pro stock used for $60 in a P88-type curve, I'm going to give this a shot again and see how things go.

I REALLY wish my LHS had a place where we could test out sticks and curves, instead of all this trial and error.

When you say control your slap shot with the 106, I'm assuming shot are going high. Is that correct?

I was in a similar boat, preferring P88/P40 style over P92 for many years. But I'm a forward not a D. 

I agree with others that say it's hard to give advice since everyone is different and there are two many variables. But I will share this - my hatred of the P92 totally flipped once I tried it at a significantly shorter length than I was playing with my P88.

The P92 excels when you are using your blade closer to your body and shooting pucks from closer to your feet. At longer lengths, the lie difference of the P92 vs. P88 makes the two non-interchangeable (for me anyway).

I use the P92 now at a shorter length (about my chin off skates), and wouldn't go back.

colins

A little update:

I sold my P106, since it's such a hard to find curve, I didn't want to get comfortable with it then end up having to change again. I picked up a P88 clone 1N for real cheap used, and two pro stock 1N (painted as 1S) from PSH. The 1Ns from PSH had a P14 curve and were a 72 flex, which was cool because I used to use intermediates not long ago.

Having a chance to use both, I can say I don't know why I moved away from the P88. However, I REALLY like the P14. I was able to put to the puck where I wanted it, all my passes were tape to tape, my stickhandling was great, and I tuned in my slapshots within 15 shots during warmup. The only thing I need to get tuned in is the drop in flex and extra length (I didn't cut these which made a world of difference for the positive). I found a few times I was getting deep and really leaning into a shot like I did with my cut 87 flex sticks, and torquing the blade.

Thanks for all the insight, it kept me from doing something dumb and buying a P28 to try then having to flip it on eBay. I'm extremely happy with what I got.

On 1/9/2018 at 1:37 PM, colins said:

I was in a similar boat, preferring P88/P40 style over P92 for many years. But I'm a forward not a D. 

I agree with others that say it's hard to give advice since everyone is different and there are two many variables. But I will share this - my hatred of the P92 totally flipped once I tried it at a significantly shorter length than I was playing with my P88.

The P92 excels when you are using your blade closer to your body and shooting pucks from closer to your feet. At longer lengths, the lie difference of the P92 vs. P88 makes the two non-interchangeable (for me anyway).

I use the P92 now at a shorter length (about my chin off skates), and wouldn't go back.

colins

Question, any experience with the Easton E3 or Sherwood PP12 curves and if so, did you find you had to go even shorter with the P92 than the others to make it work?

I was using a PP12 for a few years when I took a break from hockey, then E3 (at same length) when I got back into it because it felt similar to me, but not a lot of those left out there...  So I've been trying to make the P92 work for me, but so far it just doesn't feel right compared to my old favorites...