Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cause4alarm

senior vs junior skates: difference in construction?

I got a pair of skates that feel slightly large at size 6.0.  I (half) jokingly told a teammate that if I'd gone a half size down, I could've saved hundreds of dollars by buying junior-sized skates at 5.5. 

He replied that junior skates are actually built differently than senior skates--that they had some 'give' to them to allow for growth and that they're less protective because as a kid you're less likely to come across 80+ mph slapshots to the feet.

I think he's full of crap.  Anybody have any insight on this?  (By "this" I mean whether or not there actually is a difference in construction between junior and senior skates, not whether or not my teammate is generally full of crap.)

CCM started making their top end skates in a 5.5 the exact same as the senior model because of this, so the new lines of skates should be very similar in a 5.5 and a 6.0.

9 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

Pretty sure your friend is right. Why else they would sell them for that much cheaper?

I was thinking for some sort of marketing purpose?

By extension would that mean there might be a major difference in the materials and protectiveness of, say, a senior 14" glove and an intermediate 13.5" glove, or between a 14" senior shin guard and 12" junior shin guard (aside from the obvious difference in coverage and surface area)?

Its been discussed here before, pretty sure it depends on size and model. Lots of adults wearing 5.5’s, myself included.

I'm a 5'5 175 adult and I wear size 4.5 N9000s. I can't tell you much about the difference in stiffness, because well, I've never worn senior skates, but I can tell you if I grip my skate on the eyelet side and squeeze as hard as I can, the skate barely budges. If I squeeze on the heel side, it's a rock. 

In terms of protection, I've taken plenty of shots off the foot, toe, and heel, and---knock on wood---worst I got of it was a light bruise on my heel that went away after a few days. The rest of the time, it stings like hell, but I'm fine after the game.

I wear size 5.0 Bauer Supreme 190. I can't tell any difference between my 5.0 and a "senior" 6.0 other than the size.

Even if there was a slight difference in protection, I would be more worried about injury from clumsy skating with a too large skate than I would about being injured due to a slapshot.