Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Guys its my first time on this forum so if I'm posting on the wrong page please forgive me.

So for the last while I keep using the same pair of NikeBauer One95's that I got on consignment that I got from a hockey shop I worked at in Edmonton. After using them for a long time, they started feeling really soft and I always needed to re-tie them multiple times during a skate, so I figured that it was time for a new pair. 

Since at the time I was very stubborn to staying as a Bauer guy and like getting top of the line equipment (I know its overkill for what I do and way too expensive), I wanted to get the Supreme 1s's since supreme pretty much keeps their boots the same in lines of fit. Anyway I bought a pair last May while living in BC knowing they were really stiff skates. When at the store, the sales associate had me try the old Jet speeds since they were on clearance. To be honest, I really liked them, but knew that I'd be thinking of the Supremes all the time if I got the CCM's.

After a few months, I couldn't get fully comfortable in the skates. Usually the way I tie my skates is looser around the bottom of my feet because they ache regardless of how soft the skates are and then I try to tie the ankles up as tight as possible. In these I just can't get the ankle to where I want them and feel like I'm going to slide when I wear them. I almost felt like I'd get tired sooner when wearing the 1S' then when I was just wearing my one95's. I decided to start wearing my old one95's again and I felt like I liked them more than the 1S'.

It's been a couple months since then and now my one95's are even softer and worse. I'm considering what to do when it comes to my skates. Currently, I'm living in Southeast Idaho with plans to move to Edmonton in April. My friend in Edmonton has my 1S' from when I visited and has been trying to sell them for me on kijiji, but we haven't been able to get a decent price since I paid 1100 for them after tax. 

I've heard that CCM has really picked up their game in skates so I've been thinking about trying on a pair of Tacks, but I don't exactly want to be tied up in two expensive pairs of skates.

Any recommendations on what I should do? Is there a way to make the supremes fit better or a way to soften them quicker? I've baked them twice already but after the second bake it almost felt worse. One thing I've heard about the supremes thats a problem is the insanely stiff eye-lets. Is getting the tacks worth it since its supposed to not be as stiff and they have normal eye-lets on them? Should I give the 1S' another chance? Is there a way to solve the discomfort?

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I do not think you will get 1S softer anytime soon. I would not expect top end tacks be any softer either. You want to try figuring out why your feet hurt regardless of skates. Something is wrong there. You might be chronically in too narrow of a skate.

It sounds like the 1S might not be the right fit for you. I'd recommend going to a local shop, get fitted, and try on everything you can get your foot into. Ignore brand. Buy what feels right.

IMHO, with hockey equipmen, people get themselves  into trouble when when they get their minds too set on that certain something. 

Last time I was shopping for skates, I was expecting to come away with Ribcors, because I was currently wearing Ribcors. My back up choice was Tacks. I wanted to stick with CCMs. But the CCMs didn't fit right, so I reluctantly tried Bauers. Best decision I could make. Haven't regretted going with Bauer since. 

If you're going be dropping a healthy chunk of cash on skates, take your time and try everything, twice or more. 

In the meantime if your old skates aren't workable, maybe try and find another pair of used ones to tide you over. Trying to recoup costs on skates that don't fit can be tricky. You might have to eat a significant chunk in order to move them. 

Best of luck on what ever you decide. 

If you really liked the way Jetspeeds fit, why are you looking into Tacks? You're setting up the problem  you already have- picking out skates before you try them on. 

Don't get stuck on a brand or model. Go and try on everything. Most adult league players probably don't need NHL level skates. Going down a price tier or two might lead to less stiff skates. 

Obviosuly, we all need NHL level sticks and gloves, so spend your savings one those. 😉

OP, you never explained what you use these skates for.  If you are just a casual skater, the pro level skates will be way too stiff in the forward flex (( that's why you're getting tired sooner in the IS).  You will take a bath in reselling the IS, no way around it. Before you throw any more dollars at skates, invest $4 in a pair of waxed laces for your  One95's. Try skating in them. That might solve your problem.

On 1/21/2018 at 7:58 AM, theinfamoust94 said:

the old Jet speeds since they were on clearance. To be honest, I really liked them

You kind of answered your own question. These are 2 different fitting skates, you can fit your heel into Jetspeeds and then expect the same fit in Supremes? Sell them for whatever you can get and find something that works. Buy some 2nd hand or heavily discounted jetspeeds and give them a go. This way you can try them without it hitting you hard in the pocket. If you find you like them then maybe consider some FT1's or wait till April when you move and get some custom Trues.

To clarify with the Jetspeed vs Tacks in my consideration. I still like the supreme/tack boot, but what I feel has been the issue is the eyelets on the 1s skate. I feel they're so stiff that I can't properly get them to wrap my ankles like I'd prefer. I just mentioned tacks because the fit of them is the most similar to the supremes according to CCM but they keep the traditional eyelets so I assume that I can wrap them around my ankle better. Jet speeds might still end up being the better option though.

I play in mens league and drop ins and try to get on the ice 4-7 times a week if you were curious on what I use them for. I'm also not set on having to get top of the line anymore because I've learned from my mistake on this one.

1 hour ago, theinfamoust94 said:

I feel they're so stiff that I can't properly get them to wrap my ankles like I'd prefer.

Have you tried using a lace tightener?

1 hour ago, theinfamoust94 said:

Why ribcor?

Ribcor skates are designed to be more flexible and give you plenty of forward flex.

On 1/23/2018 at 1:17 PM, puckpilot said:

Have you tried using a lace tightener?

Ribcor skates are designed to be more flexible and give you plenty of forward flex.

Tried the ribcors on and they felt way too wide for me. I went to a store and ended up going with a pair of tacks (not because I was set on it, it was genuinely the best fit). Jetspeeds were too narrow and hurt when I walked in them although I liked how they locked my ankle in. I got a 30 day warranty at the store in salt lake where I can return it and they took 200 US off the price and I just sold my 1S’ for a good price. I skate tomorrow and hope they work out!!

2 hours ago, theinfamoust94 said:

Tried the ribcors on and they felt way too wide for me. I went to a store and ended up going with a pair of tacks (not because I was set on it, it was genuinely the best fit). Jetspeeds were too narrow and hurt when I walked in them although I liked how they locked my ankle in. I got a 30 day warranty at the store in salt lake where I can return it and they took 200 US off the price and I just sold my 1S’ for a good price. I skate tomorrow and hope they work out!!

Were you trying a D or a EE in the Jetspeeds? What Tacks did you end up with, Supertacks? If you do try something else then a EE in the FT1 line may fit you well. The new Ribcor line fits wider, you would want to try a something from the previous model 50k line.

11 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Were you trying a D or a EE in the Jetspeeds? What Tacks did you end up with, Supertacks? If you do try something else then a EE in the FT1 line may fit you well. The new Ribcor line fits wider, you would want to try a something from the previous model 50k line.

I didn’t try the jetspeeds in E or EE, just d but if these don’t work out I still have a 30 day warranty so I will hit the ice as much as possible to give it appropriate time to break in so I know for sure if they’re solid or not. Tried the ribcors but I felt like my heel was swimming in them. Not for me. Ended up with supertacks and I am fairly optimistic about them because I feel it keeps that anotomical fit I liked in my one95s while keeps the eyelets near the ankle wrapping around more unlike the 1S’ that seemed to be going straight out and we’re very stiff. Also in the supertacks I felt like all of the parts that had pressure were very softly cushioned pre-bake. I’m playing tonight and expect them to hurt as any will in your first couple skates.