Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Siponarius

The Search for Skates

So, the question everyone always asks "What's the best skate for me?"

Background:

I had ankle surgery back in 2010. At the time, I was wearing Supreme One60 9EEs. My ankle had been swollen, and after the operation, had gone down. A LHS had set me up in Nexus Elevates (a SMU in 2012 which are Nexus 400, with some upgrades from 600 and 800) in a 9.5D. Been wearing them, and still are wearing them, they are awesome. But I've put some miles on them. In 2015, I was at a LHS a few hours away, putzing around, and expressed an interest in some new skates. The guy there was super knowledgable, and tried to put me into some Nexus 7000s. Something didn't feel right, so he tried to put me into some Jetspeeds (This was right after they switched from RBZ to Jetspeed, so he was under the impression they were still a wider skate). He tweaked them a bit, shims and what not, felt awesome. Sold half price since had over stock. I get home, get them baked at the local sports store (whom suck) and went out for my first rip in them...felt ok. After 2 or 3 skates, because unknowingly how narrow they were and the baking... it changed the fit, and aggravated the injury I had had repaired in the ankle. Puts me out for the entire season. I give them to a friend who plays Junior, and he loved them, so at least they went to good use. 

Fast forward to last Christmas, I notice an online store is having a Boxing Day blowout, and they have Nexus Elevates on sale, which are now a version of the N7000 with some upgrades from the N8 and N9000s. I order the 9.5D, because I think "Hey, self, it's the exact same line, what could go possibly wrong?" Ended up with another injury, couldn't skate that season as well. 

Fast forward to now. I finally have a change to bust out my new skates. Throw them on. Go for a skate. What the serious hell? These feel nothing like my old Nexus. I go to stop, fall over. My ankles wobble in them. So i switch back to my old pair, everything is good. 

I start doing some research here, there, and everywhere. Find out in 2014 with the Nexus 4000-8000 line they changed the way the boot is built and it doesn't fit the same as the old one does. Peachy. So I'm stuck with a set of skates way too big. Not a big deal, I'll sell them privately, but would still like to get some new ones. Also on the boards here saw some posts from a fella who indicated the newer nexus boots 'point up', and if you're used to the older ones, need to be shimmed in the rear. Which is weird, I guess. 

So the big question (after a long story) is: what fits like that old Nexus line? I did get a 3D Skate Lab scan done, and they said either Supreme 9EE or Nexus 9EE. Is the solution just to go down that half size and go wider? I tried both the S160 and S170 in store, and even in 9EE they don't fit right. Tried the N8000 in 9EE and it felt close, and I suppose I could get a few punches done, but is that the solution? I did find a pair of RBZ 9EE on clearance online that I ordered (and can return) to see if they would fit. 

Sorry for the long story. Any help would be appreciated! 

If you have the budget for it, you could talk to True/VH about fitting you in skates that are built around your injury area. 

I can sympathize with your situation as I had a broken ankle last year. I got really lucky though that I had no plates or screws or anything. 

I think the old (2014) CCM Tacks line may have what you're looking for - they're a little bit wider than a Supreme. Something like the 4052 would probably work.

I think the Trues are a little outside my price range. I wish I could!

As for the Tacks, I will take a look and see what kind of info I can find. 

Thanks so far!

Rbz in 9EE will be too long if you're a 9 in Bauer. The Rbz line fit at least a half size longer and sometimes one full size vs Bauer. So you would want an 8 or 8.5 in that line for length. 

The 2014 Tacks fit about a half size down from Bauer.  So look for 8.5 in those. The 2016/17 Tacks are now supposed to fit the same lengthwise as Bauer skates.

So I got a hold of a pair of 9EE RBZ 90s that were on clearance. I put my Superfeet in, and tried them on after they arrived and they fit decently, I had to put on thinner socks then I wear in my Elevates.

A couple minor issues. First, I notice my little toe in both feet touch where the cap and quarter package meet, just slightly. How critical is it that it does not?

Second, on my "good" right foot, it's a little tight on the outside of the foot. Would baking and wear help with this, or is it something that could be punched out?

Third, the ankle is tight, not snug, but not excessive like my previous Jetspeed experiment. Would this also be solved by baking the skate? I notice quite a bit of ankle padding in that area. 

On 2018-01-22 at 9:25 AM, Jamarquan said:

I think the old (2014) CCM Tacks line may have what you're looking for - they're a little bit wider than a Supreme. Something like the 4052 would probably work.

So I picked up a pair of 4052 in 9EE. The small toe brushes the toe cap and the outside of the forefoot pinched slightly. Would 9.5D be a better bet? It’s hard to pin down n exact size as I’m ordering online from clearance sites. 

23 hours ago, Siponarius said:

So I picked up a pair of 4052 in 9EE. The small toe brushes the toe cap and the outside of the forefoot pinched slightly. Would 9.5D be a better bet? It’s hard to pin down n exact size as I’m ordering online from clearance sites. 

I don't have an ankle injury.  But had a fit issue. I had 1998 ish bauer 3000 11ee . I blew the side out.  Money was lean . I just bought another sharpener.  I ordered CCM 3052 11.50ee  way too big . I order another pair at 11ee  still to big .  Also I skate with no socks .  Any how I ordered some used skates that could be sent back  . The best fit out of anything was a size 10ee rbz but still not perfect.   I am using them now .

if your ankle pain now is from pressure yes baking will help. And also punching while warm.  Or even taping foam to your ankle where it hurts then put the skates on and lace them up , in theory this should give you relief exactly as needed depending on how thick the foam padding used. It will give you more of an organic shaping.   ......  also I have some skates coming from a eastern European company that I think are going to be great but won't know until I try them 

On 2/2/2018 at 10:25 PM, Siponarius said:

hey @Siponarius how have the RBZ's worked out for you? I sympathize with your foot problems as I am running into the same ordeal over here. I fit into the Reebok line of skates the best but obviously that is no longer an option! I have tried a pair of Nexus 8000's and a pair of Supreme 180's and couldn't last more than 20 minutes on the ice. I Was told the RBZ's would be a good fit for me but finding a pair of those is next to impossible. If those RBZ's didn't work for you, i would love to give them a try as it looks like a size 9 EE is the right fit. Shoot me a message if you are willing to part with them.

I already returned them back to the  store. They were just too tight in the critical spots. They still have them there sitting on their clearance rack, tucked away. 

I ended up cruising to two different LHS and in the one they wouldn’t fit me for anything decent. In the other, they set me up with a pair of Ribcor 68ks, and they fit like a dream. Tonight is my first game in them and I’m super nervous, especially about the weird memory foam (instead of the pump), but they fit very similar to my first gen nexus skates. 

I’ll let you know how they turn out!

@Siponarius Congrats on finding a pair of skates that fit! I pulled the trigger on a pair of 60k's assuming they would fit like the 16k's i have now without realizing they changed the mold of the skates. was really bummed out about that one.

Shoot me the info on the store that has the skates if you would. i would like to reach out and see if they will ship them to me! I am desperate over here!

15 hours ago, Siponarius said:

I already returned them back to the  store. They were just too tight in the critical spots. They still have them there sitting on their clearance rack, tucked away. 

I ended up cruising to two different LHS and in the one they wouldn’t fit me for anything decent. In the other, they set me up with a pair of Ribcor 68ks, and they fit like a dream. Tonight is my first game in them and I’m super nervous, especially about the weird memory foam (instead of the pump), but they fit very similar to my first gen nexus skates. 

How did the new skates go?

Overall the skates went very well! They are perhaps 1/4inch too long, but I put Powerfoot inserts in the toe caps and don’t know the difference.

My only complaint is I’ve put super feet carbon in them, and the bottom of my feet hurt, as a few years ago I switched from super feet for the same reason to speed plates. My current speed plates are too short because I trimmed them, so I either have Frankenstein them back together, or get new ones when I have $ (lost the receipt for my carbons).

i also need to spot heat two spots on the quarter package that didn’t suck in, buy I may also rebake them because the initial time the oven tripped the breaker lol

Otherwise great skate!

On 2/16/2018 at 2:54 PM, Siponarius said:

Don’t worry about the ankle foam in the Ribcors. It’s the same setup many pros use/request. Same setup in their top end 70k skate.

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

Don’t worry about the ankle foam in the Ribcors. It’s the same setup many pros use/request. Same setup in their top end 70k skate.

They just felt weird lol. And I’m a little worried they won’t be super stable when I need them to be. And ankle stability is huge for me. 

On 2/18/2018 at 10:53 PM, Siponarius said:

They just felt weird lol. And I’m a little worried they won’t be super stable when I need them to be. And ankle stability is huge for me. 

Stability should come from the outer boot, not the inner foams. It's a fairly proven setup, don't worry about it, just go out and skate.