Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gretsch

Experience using shims for skates

Years ago, I agreed to a suggestion to have 1/8th" shims installed under the rear holders of my skates (Bauer MX3s) Upon having experimented with a different profile-rocker, the sharpener recommended I remove the shims as this would be "better."

While I have gotten used to it, I began wondering how much I'd notice them being removed. Out of curiosity, has anyone here shimmed skates only to remove them later and prefer the feel without the shims? 

adding shims and profiling both achieve the same thing: adjusting pitch. only difference is profiling can do more than just pitch.

when it comes to shims vs profiling, one is more permanent than the other. as your sharpen a blade, the profiling can be worn away, and consequently alter the pitch. if you're only shimming 1/16 you probably won't notice it wearing down. 1/8, maybe. 1/4 yea you'll notice it. especially if you're taking Tuuks to +1 pitch. 

personally i had 1/8 shims on my tuuks, switched to CCMs with no shims. 

35 minutes ago, innotastic said:

personally i had 1/8 shims on my tuuks, switched to CCMs with no shims. 

Do the CCMs have a more aggressive pitch to the holders (like Grafs)?

16 minutes ago, Gretsch said:

Do the CCMs have a more aggressive pitch to the holders (like Grafs)?

they're quite neutral. pitch 0 basically. not back on your heels like bauers (thats why i needed shims), but not on your toes like grafs either. 

12 minutes ago, innotastic said:

they're quite neutral. pitch 0 basically. not back on your heels like bauers (thats why i needed shims), but not on your toes like grafs either. 

Yeah, I never cared for the Grafs. I felt like I lost a lot of power in the stride. I didn't realize the Bauers put you on your heels without the shims.