Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johndeere506

Higher End Skates for a Recreational Player

If you are just a once a week skater with your kids, and a game here and there, are the higher end skates worth buying? I like better stuff like everyone else, but Im wondering if I personally will ever see the benefits. So I guess I'm not asking about actual high end skates, but just going up a few models. I do want and good fit and fairly comfortable.

For example, I can get a current model year Jetspeed in a FT360 (which are in stock local) vs old model  290 for the same price. Im told the FT360 is equal to an old model 270.  The Tacks 6092 were pretty nice too, didn't try any lower Tacks.

I think alot of guys will say.  You dont need high end skates for once a week skating.  That being said.  Once a week skating can turn into 3 times a week skating (happened to me) and buying something a little better might be worth it then.  I would say first thing to think about is fit, buy what ever fits you best.  Then I would say buy what ever makes you happy and gets you out skating more.  Sometimes its nice to spoil yourself. 

In my opinion unless you are a high level skater the top of the line skates don't give you any benefit and can hurt your skating. High end skates are stiff and the thing I have found is you can't be lazy in them. You need to be more aggressive in your skating style because the stiff boot reacts to every move you make. Years ago when the 9k's came out and were RBK's top skate I switched from my old, worn 652 Tacks with the Prolite 3 holder. When I stepped on the ice it felt like I never skated before because I had gotten lazy. When I started being more aggressive and using good form everything straightened out. I think for most beer league players and people who don't skate a lot a mid to upper mid level skate works best. You can by last years (or the year before) upper mid level skates for less money than the current year skates and not loose any performance.

My personal opinion is that you should get the best value in a skate that fits you correctly that you can. That would mean I would tend to lean toward the higher model in lineup in the previous model year. The skate materials are better quality and are more likely to respond better to heat molding through baking them, giving you a more customized fit.  The skate liner is also likely to be more comfortable and better at moisture wicking. The steel might be better quality as well. Just make sure that which ever skate you buy, that they fit you the best, so if the lower model of this year fits you better, then go with that one. That is the most important thing and should be your main concern. You want them to be as comfortable as possible and not cause you any pain while skating and afterwords when you take them off. Good luck. 

Going with previous model skates is always the best value if they fit you well. The 2nd or 3rd model from the top is often the best value. I'd definitely go for the Jetspeed 290 in the old line vs. the FT360 in the new line. If you do though, just remember to drop down a half size in the old model from whatever fits you in the current line. The fit profile stayed the same, but the sizing was adjusted with the current line. 

The Tacks 6092 would also be a good value skate, but the fit profile of the Jetspeed and Tacks aren't the same. You'll have to figure out which one fits your foot better (as little negative space as possible without major pressure points, good heel lock, proper depth, toes brushing the cap when standing ect.)

Not sure I agree with the notion that stiff skates force you to be "less lazy".  Generally speaking stiff skates can compensate for a lack of ankle strength or proper knee bend vs. a softer alternative. 

I think it really depends on the type of skater one is when you're talking about whether stiffer or softer skates would help or hinder. For some a stiff boot is the answer and for others a softer boot does the trick. That is why there are NHLers in all manner of construction out there.

2 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I agree with Chippa.  All depends on the type of skater you are.  There are NHLers who skate in softer boots, and others who skate in extremely stiff boots.

Phaneuf is a notable example for stiffer skates - apparently he went through ~20 pairs a season because he liked them fresh.

Well I'm not sure if I like the stiff or loose skates, but my guess is stiff being that I used to tape my air 90s near the top to limit flex to what I liked.

I tried on some last years Jetspeed 300's tonight, side by side with an FT360. The FT was a little more comfortable and softer, but kind of felt like a bit light duty to me, and that's only in the store. I'm 210 lbs so that may be making that more noticable to me. Im not sure if heavy guys will wreck a skate faster, but seems like it could happen based on the feel. 10 EE seems to fit in all the jetspeeds, just need to decide what model now.

If you're a 10EE in the current Jetspeeds then you should be a 9.5EE in the previous line. The Ccm product manager posted in another thread that the sizing changed with the new lines (new Tacks, Jetspeeds and Ribcore skates fit a half size smaller than the previous models). 

At over 200lbs, I would definitely look for mid to high end skates. Lower end skates don't hold up well for heavier players unless you're hardly using them. Skates with an original price point of around $350 or more are probably where you should look. Luckily, older models are often discounted very heavily. 

18 minutes ago, johndeere506 said:

The 300s did have pressure on the inside on my arches whcih the FT360 didnt have. Im not sure if that would break in or is ok.

Baking will help with mild pressure. The higher up the line you go, the more responsive to heat the skates. If you have extreme pressure then it's likely not the right skate for you, but mild pressure is OK.

11 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

If you're a 10EE in the current Jetspeeds then you should be a 9.5EE in the previous line. The Ccm product manager posted in another thread that the sizing changed with the new lines (new Tacks, Jetspeeds and Ribcore skates fit a half size smaller than the previous models). 

At over 200lbs, I would definitely look for mid to high end skates. Lower end skates don't hold up well for heavier players unless you're hardly using them. Skates with an original price point of around $350 or more are probably where you should look. Luckily, older models are often discounted very heavily. 

Yes seem to be some good deals on last years, but hard to find. One here, one there, but I know what fits now at least. 

At that price level yeah Ill probably be getting last years. Thanks for the guideline to shoot for.

It didnt seem extreme or painful, just pretty noticeable. I have flat feet or low arches, so maybe thats why. Maybe a bake and an insert would help.

Now if I can just find whats the lowest last years model, that retains MOST of the high end stiffness and features, Ill get them.

Someone mentioned the 290, so Ill check those first.

I appreciate all the info guys, I really didnt expect this to be so difficult. It will be more fun to pick a new stick I bet.

I have average arches, but have read that people with flat feet have had some success with the Ribcore line. You may want to try some of those as well. Skates are definitely the most challenging piece of equipment to fit. At least you seem to have access to stores to try on multiple lines and get help from fitters in person. You're doing the right thing by asking questions and trying on multiple skates. 

I tried a ribcore (10D?) yesterday too and had 2 to 3 spots of pressure that didn't feel great. It just didnt follow my side foot profile I guess. I think the closer fit was Tacks in a 10D, would have worked ok, but had some pressure on the start of the toebox. Otherwise they were a nice in between for everything, but I didn't think the box fit can be changed.

I think my arches will get over it, and the support there may actually be a good thing, as opposed to ankle or toe pain.  Even toe pain I can handle but ankle pain bothers me a lot. Like mentioned above too, maybe the arch tightness in the mid to high end JEtspeeds can be more easily adjusted. 

To echo what everyone else said.  Go with what is comfortable and fits right.  I usually recommend if you're going to be playing hockey not going lower than the $200 price point.  Those are when you start to see some of the features of the better models.  

I think Ive decided on the last years Jetspeed 290 or 300. The 300 barely costs more since they are on clearance.

There are some upgrades to the 300. I cant try the 290 in person but the 300 I have. Its a good fit just a little snug in the arch.  I assume they fit the same in a 10EE for each.

Double check the sizing. Try on a 9.5EE before buying anything. You said this years model fit in 10EE; the previous line fits a half size longer. 

This post is directly from a CCM Product Manager:

I recognize that sizing has been something we've been inconsistent with over the last few years, mostly due to varying fits that played tricks how long a skate would feel. Now that our subbrands fits are perfected and anchored in (JetSpeed, RibCor and the upcoming Super Tacks/Ultra Tacks line), here's some clarity on sizing. I will use my own skate size as the example:

RBZ : I wear a size 6

Tacks (2014): I wear a 6.5

RibCor (2015-16): I wear a 6.5

JetSpeed (2015-16): I wear a 6.5

Super Tacks and Ultra Tacks (2016) : I wear a 7. 

The change in the 2016 line is a means for us to be equal in sizing to other popular subrands, so that hockey players who wear a size 8 skate will be a size 8 in any skate they choose moving forward, regardless of which brand they prefer. That means that our 2017 lines of JetSpeed and RibCor will also be adjusted then, so that we can all be equal going forward.

Here's the full thread: 

The fit of the same line shouldn't change - the skates usually get stiffer as you move up the line; so it can feel a bit different, but the last is the same. 

I havent found the 9.5EE to try. However, in the 10EE, I can lean forward and scrape my toes while laced up tight, so I should be ok right? If the 9.5EE gets ANY skinnier, that wont be good. The 10 EE has literally zero slop movement feel to me.

Anyone know if the Jetspeed EE width is a "B" heel? Just wanting to know why these fit so much better than the bauers I tried (supreme D and vapor D,EE), and the new 160s I have at home. Its the same bad pressure spot for me on all bauers, 1 inch below my ankle bone.

You are right I did say the current model 10EE fits (in the sotre), but I can scrape toes on a 10EE Jetspeed FT360 and on the 10 EE Jetspeed 300, with one on each foot. The 300 barely felt longer, but only by a mil or two.

No offense to CCM but the 360 felt like very light flex wise compared to the 300 side by side. Clearly just a totally diff level of skate. I like the higher end feel personally, and hope I get to notice the benefit on the ice.

A stiffer skate can put more pressure on the side of your foot and elongate it which makes the skate feel shorter. The lower model skate is softer so won't resist your foot as much.

CCM has officially indicated that there's a half size difference. After baking and breaking in the skates, the heel padding will compress a bit and your foot will fit further into the heel pocket. This means you'll gain a few mm of room. 

Also, you shouldn't have to "lean forward" to scrape your toes. You should be able to brush your toes when your skates are just laced up and you're standing straight. When you bend your knees and get into a hockey stance your toes can just come off the cap (when you bend your knees your foot will press back into the heel of the skate).

3 hours ago, althoma1 said:

A stiffer skate can put more pressure on the side of your foot and elongate it which makes the skate feel shorter. The lower model skate is softer so won't resist your foot as much.

CCM has officially indicated that there's a half size difference. After baking and breaking in the skates, the heel padding will compress a bit and your foot will fit further into the heel pocket. This means you'll gain a few mm of room. 

Also, you shouldn't have to "lean forward" to scrape your toes. You should be able to brush your toes when your skates are just laced up and you're standing straight. When you bend your knees and get into a hockey stance your toes can just come off the cap (when you bend your knees your foot will press back into the heel of the skate).

One thing i have noticed stepping into the newer model stiff skates game  is - coming from the x60's 2009 model i think when they were top of the line , is how much stiffer the newer 1x's are . I am now in a 15 1x retail skate w/ factory tongues , and not sure if its the tongue design or what. While breaking them in currently, im getting the very top of the boot digging into the side of my ankle above the ankle bone . Anyone else experience this ? common while breaking in ? or are the sides of the tongue not wide enough . Longer socks alleviated this somewhat but still irritates . Moving the tongue closer to that side helps but but happens everytime I skate