Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tvguy

Quad Zero profile

If I'm correct the Blademaster sharpener uses bars that are pre-set with the specific radius at a specific transition location on the skate?  If that's the case and Blademaster's own website says that certain patterns are for certain skate sizes I would think using a pattern on a different skate size would alter the transition points for each zone.  I'm banking on the manufacturer to have done their homework and know what is optimal.  If I am off in my understanding of the use of "bars" please let me know.

Thx

7 hours ago, Cbass93 said:

If I'm correct the Blademaster sharpener uses bars that are pre-set with the specific radius at a specific transition location on the skate?  If that's the case and Blademaster's own website says that certain patterns are for certain skate sizes I would think using a pattern on a different skate size would alter the transition points for each zone.  I'm banking on the manufacturer to have done their homework and know what is optimal.  If I am off in my understanding of the use of "bars" please let me know.

Thx

Both systems use bars.  You find the center point of the steel you're putting the profile on.  So when the profile is applied, both points match.

A larger radius provides stability.  A shorter radius provides maneuverability.  You're looking for the optimal setting to you and your skating style.

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Both systems use bars.  You find the center point of the steel you're putting the profile on.  So when the profile is applied, both points match.

A larger radius provides stability.  A shorter radius provides maneuverability.  You're looking for the optimal setting to you and your skating style.

So then the center point and the places where the transitions start are based on a designated length.  Therefore the patterns are size specific.  If you could use the same pattern on any size skate there would have to be adjustments at every transition, otherwise your losing the toe and heel.  Think of a Quad Zero on a youth size skate, simply wouldn't work.

There are limitations, yes.  A Q0 becomes usable at 230mm.

The zone that is profiled starts about 2-3" in from the toe and 2" in from the heel - roughly 65% of the overall runner.  That's what is referred to as the working radius - you then blend the transition into the heel and toe by hand.  If the radius spills out beyond that, then it's not effective.  But to say that you can only use certain radii on certain sizing is not telling the whole story there.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:44 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

There are limitations, yes.  A Q0 becomes usable at 230mm.

The zone that is profiled starts about 2-3" in from the toe and 2" in from the heel - roughly 65% of the overall runner.  That's what is referred to as the working radius - you then blend the transition into the heel and toe by hand.  If the radius spills out beyond that, then it's not effective.  But to say that you can only use certain radii on certain sizing is not telling the whole story there.

So here is my question.  Regardless of system are we trying to make a profile fit the skate and skater?  Or should we be trying to find a profile to best suits the player, size height weight arena they play in skating style?

I'm going for option 2. 

On 5/14/2019 at 6:11 PM, Cbass93 said:

So then the center point and the places where the transitions start are based on a designated length.  Therefore the patterns are size specific.  If you could use the same pattern on any size skate there would have to be adjustments at every transition, otherwise your losing the toe and heel.  Think of a Quad Zero on a youth size skate, simply wouldn't 

Fuck me here in the UK you goto the shop and they still ask if you're on a half inch hollow. Not me though 7/16ths

I'd like to try some of these profiles, but we simply don't have the facilities to do it. I'd assume all our players in the current IIHF Championships are on traditional hollows.

• Like 1

My son just picked up the UltraSonic Supremes (w/stock Q0 blade). He will be skating on them in a day or so, fingers crossed he can keep the speed and agility he had with the Mako II's he has been using for years with great success. He tried the Vapor 2X pros, they were very similar fit to the Ultrasonics with FIT1 sizing (I know the FIT 1 is supposed to be the Vapor Fit and it pretty much was but not exactly, couple slight differences) but the Supremes just felt perfect for him & the Vapors had a touch more wiggle room in toebox and just a bit less snug. Interestingly, he skated in a 9 in the Mako's (admittedly probably a half size too big but worked well) and fit into a 7.5 Vapor 2X Pro, but in the UltraSonics, size 8 felt best. He put his usual 5/8 hollow on them but wondering if now is the time to switch to FBV (don't want to throw too many variables at once and he's gonna be playing in Canada so don't want him to be searching for FBV even-though the team EQ manager probably has the capability, I would think). 

Edited by goodguy

4 hours ago, goodguy said:

My son just picked up the UltraSonic Supremes (w/stock Q0 blade). He will be skating on them in a day or so, fingers crossed he can keep the speed and agility he had with the Mako II's he has been using for years with great success. He tried the Vapor 2X pros, they were very similar fit to the Ultrasonics with FIT1 sizing (I know the FIT 1 is supposed to be the Vapor Fit and it pretty much was but not exactly, couple slight differences) but the Supremes just felt perfect for him & the Vapors had a touch more wiggle room in toebox and just a bit less snug. Interestingly, he skated in a 9 in the Mako's (admittedly probably a half size too big but worked well) and fit into a 7.5 Vapor 2X Pro, but in the UltraSonics, size 8 felt best. He put his usual 5/8 hollow on them but wondering if now is the time to switch to FBV (don't want to throw too many variables at once and he's gonna be playing in Canada so don't want him to be searching for FBV even-though the team EQ manager probably has the capability, I would think). 

Far more places in Canada have FBV capabilities than in he US if I'm not mistaken. 

Depending on where he is playing. Most equipment managers at a jr level use BM or BS stock machines however.  Not FBV. 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:27 AM, Left Wing King said:

Fuck me here in the UK you goto the shop and they still ask if you're on a half inch hollow. Not me though 7/16ths

I'd like to try some of these profiles, but we simply don't have the facilities to do it. I'd assume all our players in the current IIHF Championships are on traditional hollows.

You and just send the steel in the mail to get them profiled...

On 5/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, Left Wing King said:

Ha, just saw this from the recent quote. True in a lot of places but thankfully not all. Find the right places and you can get your preferred hollow, FBV and proper profiling. A lot of the guys on the IIHF team are certainly not all on traditional hollows and profiles. There's been a lot more education recently, the advent of the EDGE and XS holder makes it easier for them to learn, swap and try new hollows and profiles. Given the lack of ice time, it's not as easy for players who don't have the same ice time access. In the past a lot of the Swedish imports that came to the Elite League would ship their steels back to their skate techs in Sweden to let them do their profiles as they didn't trust it over here. Even heard of some that would fly home just for that, but a sign that things have improved is i don't hear those stories now.

20 hours ago, Beflar said:

You and just send the steel in the mail to get them profiled...

This is for sure an option no matter which country you're in...

1 hour ago, 218hockey said:

These comments are making my head spin. Don't confuse hollow with profile.

I don’t think anyone is, but the discussion about hollows is definitely getting to be off-topic.