Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johndeere506

Mid Grade Stick Recommendations

Warrior and TRUE both make really nice low to mid-tier price point sticks. Both companies are dedicated to getting the customer the most "bang for their buck" at all of the price points.

I loved my Warrior Covert DT3LT, which I paid full price for with gift money after Christmas - I thought it was a great stick for the money.  I'm now using some pro stock sticks that I picked up for cheaper, but I still have it as a backup.

23 hours ago, rawkstar said:

From what you're describing you'll be using this for I wouldn't spend more than 100 bux. Literally you just want to shoot around in the garage and play with your kids, maybe do an occasional drop in.

All of this low kick, mid kick, etc. will probably not matter for you at all, in fact I doubt you'll even notice a difference. As for length, its measured from the heel to the top of the shaft, meaning it doesn't include almost the entire blade when you have it just standing there against the wall. A 60" stick is probably 65" tall when you just stand it up on the ground next to you. At 6'1" that's going to be plenty long for you, you may even have to cut it.

stickdiagram2015.jpg

PP92 and 87 flex both seem like great starting points. Just get something thats nicely balanced and won't chip and break in a week on your garage floor.

Personally I've been a big fan of sherwood, I have 2 EK15s and they're amazing. People also like the T90. They even make a T90 with an abs reinforced blade, which would be an amazing stick for your use, but its $130, maybe a bit too expensive. (Note on Sherwood: pp26 pattern is their equivalent of bauer's pp92)

Warrior and True sticks are awesome as well, also frequently found on closeouts. True A4.5 is a really great stick, you really don't need much more than that for any level of beer league play. I bet A1 would be great for just shooting pucks around in the garage.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/True_A45_SBP_Grip_Hockey_Sticks_Sr/descpage-T4SS6.html

http://www.icewarehouse.com/True_A10_SBP_Grip_Hockey_Sticks_Sr/descpage-T1SS6.html

Whats the difference between the A4.5, and the A4.5 SBP? I found the non SBP for 85 bucks, not sure what the differnce is but i like the finish on those as well.

2 hours ago, johndeere506 said:

Whats the difference between the A4.5, and the A4.5 SBP? I found the non SBP for 85 bucks, not sure what the differnce is but i like the finish on those as well.

The SBP has the new BRT tech in the blade. Makes it feel much livelier. Also it has the axenic? tech in it that made the carbon layers more consistent and strong in the construction IIRC.

Overall, it's a great stick. I had mine for a year before it broke from blocking too many shots with it. All the way up till it broke though, it felt strong until the very last game before it broke where it was feeling much whippier than usual, then it gave way on a shot block.

I checked out some sticks today and I narrowed it down to The True SBP line or a Nexus. 

Both on sale the True A4.5 SBP and Nexus N9000 are the same cost. Im sure the N9000 is supposed to be better, but is it (this one is a 2015 2 piece)? The True SBP's seem to be very well liked. I really like the less grip finish on the True also. Id go for the non SBP but heard of some durability issues with those, that were fixed with the SBP line. Going to buy one of them this weekend.

The jump up to the A5.2 SBP seems costly, and if I went that route the 1N is what I would get for that price. 

56 minutes ago, asgoodasdead said:

buy a high end stick on clearance

What is a good price on clearance for high end? I found some high end sticks for 150. The True A4.5SBP looked pretty good for 100.

High end sticks on sale will not always work. I used to do that too but you really get slim pickings when it comes to flex and curve, especially RH. I was looking for a specific 4.5 SBP and had problems finding it a few months back. Now that they’re on clearance, it’ll be even harder trying to find it. And that’s not even a 6.0 or 5.2. 

Always be on a lookout when you know a new model is coming out but you can kind of figure out whether or not the inventory is going to last. I feel like online shops aren’t stocking as much inventory as they used to, so it’s getting tougher to find popular sticks on closeout. At least that’s my experience anyway. Local shops around me aren’t very consistent.

Howdy,

13 hours ago, johndeere506 said:

What is a good price on clearance for high end? I found some high end sticks for 150. The True A4.5SBP looked pretty good for 100.

Those prices are pretty normal in my limited experience.

I really don't think you'll go far wrong with either option.  Put me down as another True A4.5 (SBP or otherwise) supporter.  Warrior also has some good options and you can probably find a pretty excellent deal (like $100 or so) on something like a QR1 these days if you're a leftie.

Mark

In canada here...looking to make a custom order with Sherwood. Thing is they want a min. Order of 6 sticks to get a custom curve. I want the EK365 in the Coffey curve but like I said I need to order 6 sticks. That is pricey. Was wondering if anybody out there would also like the EK365 in the Coffey curve. Left. Im hoping for a 75 flex. If i can find more people to pitch in Hopefully we can make an order. 

Does anyone have any experience with the Warrior AK27 SL stick? Looks like it's around 400g, which is nice. Im currently using a QRL and wouldn't mind trying something a little cheaper if it's worth it.  

On 3/10/2018 at 12:00 AM, seanfku said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Warrior AK27 SL stick? Looks like it's around 400g, which is nice. Im currently using a QRL and wouldn't mind trying something a little cheaper if it's worth it.  

@seanfku Yes, I bought one shortly after it was released. I was using an Alpha QX at the time and wanted another as a backup.

It’s a mid kick, so it will play a bit different than the QRL. It’s a decent stick, definitely worth the money....actually a bit of a steal at $179. Honestly, it’s what the QX Pro should be.

8 hours ago, stick9 said:

@seanfku Yes, I bought one shortly after it was released. I was using an Alpha QX at the time and wanted another as a backup.

It’s a mid kick, so it will play a bit different than the QRL. It’s a decent stick, definitely worth the money....actually a bit of a steal at $179. Honestly, it’s what the QX Pro should be.

Thanks for getting back to me. I always have used mid-kick sticks for the most part but got a QRL on the cheap. I am really digging the quality of warrior sticks. Would like to get a cheap back up. 

7 hours ago, seanfku said:

Thanks for getting back to me. I always have used mid-kick sticks for the most part but got a QRL on the cheap. I am really digging the quality of warrior sticks. Would like to get a cheap back up. 

AK27 SL is a low kickpoint. Its not quite as aggressive as the QRL. However, its certainly not a mid. 

I've used one on and off for a few months. I like it. Its nice and light for its price point. Its a sharp looking stick, albeit the paint chips easily (not a big deal. Purely cosmetic).

I will say that I'm personally not a huge fan of the blade. For starters, I dont find the puck feel to be really great at all. Its not dead feeling, but its just not what I expect from a 2nd tier Warrior stick. Second, not a fan at all of the gloss finish on the blade. I understand all of Warriors 2nd tier and "pro" model sticks have it. I'm just not a fan. Personal preference, and an extremely minor nit pick. Third, I don't feel like the puck "explodes" off the stick like it did with my QR and QRL pro models. It shoots fine. Just felt like I had a better shot with the other sticks (probably just user error though). 

Stick loads and releases quite nicely. As I said, I just wish it felt like it had a bit more "pop".

Overall, great stick for its pricepoint. 

6 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

AK27 SL is a low kickpoint. Its not quite as aggressive as the QRL. However, its certainly not a mid. 

I've used one on and off for a few months. I like it. Its nice and light for its price point. Its a sharp looking stick, albeit the paint chips easily (not a big deal. Purely cosmetic).

I will say that I'm personally not a huge fan of the blade. For starters, I dont find the puck feel to be really great at all. Its not dead feeling, but its just not what I expect from a 2nd tier Warrior stick. Second, not a fan at all of the gloss finish on the blade. I understand all of Warriors 2nd tier and "pro" model sticks have it. I'm just not a fan. Personal preference, and an extremely minor nit pick. Third, I don't feel like the puck "explodes" off the stick like it did with my QR and QRL pro models. It shoots fine. Just felt like I had a better shot with the other sticks (probably just user error though). 

Stick loads and releases quite nicely. As I said, I just wish it felt like it had a bit more "pop".

Overall, great stick for its pricepoint. 

@OzziesDad thanks for the correction on the kick point. 

I never used a QRL, but you analysis translates to the difference between the QX as well. I haven’t experienced the same cosmetic issues though. 

Bottom line, one of the best sticks on the market in the $150-200 range.

If you are looking for Bauer and mid-range, I would recommend taking a look at retailer exclusive sticks from places like Source for Sports or Sports Excellence. They have upgraded features from sticks like the X700 and 800, and sometimes you can even get them on sale. Only problem is this is usually common only in Canada.

http://sportsexcellence.com/product/bauer-vapor-ltx-pro-plus-stick/

Anyone here own a x900 lite? I'm torn between the two. I wouldn't mind trying a true stick either. I can't justify buying top  of the line anymore and waiting for sticks on clearance for my specs are few and far between. 

2 hours ago, seanfku said:

Anyone here own a x900 lite? I'm torn between the two. I wouldn't mind trying a true stick either. I can't justify buying top  of the line anymore and waiting for sticks on clearance for my specs are few and far between. 

You could periodically check Sideline swap or sites like hockeystickman, and prostockhockey. I've seen people selling 1X lites for like $175, or Ribcor triggers for way below retail and getting last years top end model will save you a lot as well.

Waiting for a top end stick with your correct specs to be for sale on one of those sites could take a short while but is bound to appear.

59 minutes ago, g3k said:

You could periodically check Sideline swap or sites like hockeystickman, and prostockhockey. I've seen people selling 1X lites for like $175, or Ribcor triggers for way below retail and getting last years top end model will save you a lot as well.

Waiting for a top end stick with your correct specs to be for sale on one of those sites could take a short while but is bound to appear.

Never used either site but I'll give it a try. I hear mixed reviews of how durable pro stock sticks are. I'll check out sports2k and see what I can dig up. Thanks.