Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GoalForFun

Super Tacks AS1 Skates

1 hour ago, Chicagodweller said:

Has anyone done the CCM 3D scanner to get a custom pair yet?

That’s how mine were done. Really awesome system. Biggest reason why they fit so nicely even before heat molding. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sbisson91 said:

That’s how mine were done. Really awesome system. Biggest reason why they fit so nicely even before heat molding. 

So do they after 3D automatically assign the right size (7,5 D or EE) and also adapt the volume of the skate? Or do you have to manually tell them about it?

For those in the know- can CCM adjust boot height and stiffness on these as well? The full scan sounds awesome but if I’m spending $1000 id prefer to not be in a ski boot that goes half way up my leg, forcing me to leave the top eyelet undone.

I find a lower cut boot that I can lace all the way up provides way more stability (see: One90). 

• Like 1

Icewarehouse now has the entire Tacks line listed. Some very interesting stuff going on. Most notable, a $399 offering being dubbed Connor McDavid’s 2017/18 spec.

Think they got their price points perfect. $549 for one step down from the top is exactly where that model should be.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, markush said:

So do they after 3D automatically assign the right size (7,5 D or EE) and also adapt the volume of the skate? Or do you have to manually tell them about it?

They automatically assign it based on the scan. My right is an 8.5 D, my left is an 8.25 D. 

27 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

For those in the know- can CCM adjust boot height and stiffness on these as well? The full scan sounds awesome but if I’m spending $1000 id prefer to not be in a ski boot that goes half way up my leg, forcing me to leave the top eyelet undone.

I find a lower cut boot that I can lace all the way up provides way more stability (see: One90). 

You can get the boot taller in 3mm increments (up to 9mm) but you can't get them lower.

You can also adjust the stiffness.

Thanks JR- seems odd that they can go higher but not lower (coming from someone who doesn’t fully get the science behind the construction).

I guess the solution would be to just go with the 70K which is lower to begin with- though it sounds like the scan tech isn’t ready for the Ribcor and Jetspeed lines unless I’m misunderstanding. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

Thanks JR- seems odd that they can go higher but not lower (coming from someone who doesn’t fully get the science behind the construction).

I guess the solution would be to just go with the 70K which is lower to begin with- though it sounds like the scan tech isn’t ready for the Ribcor and Jetspeed lines unless I’m misunderstanding. 

Yes it is, it's available for all skates in their line.

The Ribcor is very similar to the Nexus V-Cut as in it's hand-cut, so there are more options.

Sounds like a One90 height 70k is the move then!

Sorry for the meta-PM: back to our regularly scheduled AS1 programming. 

Edited by Cavs019

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Yes it is, it's available for all skates in their line.

The Ribcor is very similar to the Nexus V-Cut as in it's hand-cut, so there are more options.

What's hard to grasp is, if the other models are machine cut, I'm imagining they're following a digital rendering that is traced into the material to get the final piece (thinking specifically of a video of the original APX being machine cut, via laser I think), then what would prevent CCM/Bauer from dialing back the height somewhat? It's at the most extreme end of the boot, so I can't see how it would affect the interface of the other parts that need to go into the skate anymore than adding height would.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sbisson91 said:

I completely agree. The fit for me was really great and felt really nice. I need a wider forefoot and narrow heel, and the forefoot felt great but the heel was a little too wide for me but not drastic.

It appears that most shops just got their CCM scanners, or at the every least, just got the software update that allows them to do the custom option. For this reason I would maybe wait a few weeks until staff can get more training on the scanners and other guinea pigs like me get the scans done. I was a little over eager and I went ahead and got the 3D scan at a local shop the cost came out to $1154 CAD which is just about $100 + tax over retail. Total custom is $1350 CAD if I recall. 

Apparently my store was only able to do a "pro custom" (stock boot that is 360 degree molded to the shape of your foot) and not the "Total Custom" (360 degree mold plus ability to choose different tongues, and liner among other things.) The XS holder as discussed in this thread is not available at retail regardless if you choose the custom option, or so I was told.  It would have been helpful if I could have seen a catalogue  of potential options to choose from if I wanted to do a Total Custom. Again I may have been over eager and caught the staff before they could really understand the offerings, but if that is an option at the retail level then there should be some kind of options menu. 

Will take 8 days for the Pro Custom to be sent to the store for an in store baking. Really looking forward to these skates they just felt really great from the fit right off the shelf to the feel of moving around in them. 

Lastly, the 3D scan recommended to me a Jetspeed in 6EE as the best fit and Suptertacks in a 6D as the 2nd fit. Ribcor was not recommended as it would be too narrow. I had already felt like 6D was the perfect fit before I go the scan, if that adds anything to the credibility of their system. And for reference I wear a 6.5 D vapor 1X LE and its both too long and too narrow, I do get pain unless I leave them loose up to the 2nd last eyelets but the AS1 felt fantastic from the toe box which feels wider all the way through. 

Edited by Chicagodweller
added info
  • Like 3

On 4/27/2018 at 3:01 PM, chippa13 said:

From what I've heard thru the grapevine, within another year or two all of the top level skates will essentially be "custom" and shops will only be able to stock 2nd from top down, all as part of manufacturers' efforts to manage inventory control.

I feel like this system makes the most sense.  In my area at least, most people don't buy the top of the line until it is on sale.  We sell plenty of the $500 price point ones though.  

Edit: This also gives Brick and Mortar retailers an edge, by being able to do the scans. 

Edited by goalieman39
added info
  • Like 2

I was scanned today and it recommended a size 7D in Jetspeeds. I can easily fit into a size 6 and 6.5 in that skate so that was a little odd. I'm on the cusp of ordering the custom AS1 but the size that the scanner gave me makes me feel a little off from it. Also torn between going full custom vs just the $100 3D boot upgrade. I'm coming from Vapors. My fear is getting a skate that doesn't fit correctly. 

4 hours ago, six501 said:

I was scanned today and it recommended a size 7D in Jetspeeds. I can easily fit into a size 6 and 6.5 in that skate so that was a little odd. I'm on the cusp of ordering the custom AS1 but the size that the scanner gave me makes me feel a little off from it. Also torn between going full custom vs just the $100 3D boot upgrade. I'm coming from Vapors. My fear is getting a skate that doesn't fit correctly. 

My understanding is that a full custom is molded the same way after it is constructed with the specified changes to materials. Is that what you were told as well? The only reservation I have about the AS1s that are coming is that the heel will still remain too wide.

4 hours ago, markush said:

Some more impressions 

Lets hope that the 3D mold as shown in the video actually produces a result expected of a "custom" fitting boot. Now that I see how its done I feel a little skeptical. Does anyone have insight to process that True does to shape the boot to the 3D scans?

17 minutes ago, Chicagodweller said:

My understanding is that a full custom is molded the same way after it is constructed with the specified changes to materials. Is that what you were told as well? The only reservation I have about the AS1s that are coming is that the heel will still remain too wide.

Lets hope that the 3D mold as shown in the video actually produces a result expected of a "custom" fitting boot. Now that I see how its done I feel a little skeptical. Does anyone have insight to process that True does to shape the boot to the 3D scans?

I feel the same way, I worry about too wide of a heel. That is an issue I am trying to go custom so I can no longer deal with. 

17 hours ago, markush said:

Some more impressions 

The take away I get from this clip is that it looks like they make a 3d mold of your foot and bake a retail skate around your mold with some clamps.  Is that all this is?

• Like 2

That scares me as well.

How is this any different than clamping the skate after heating it the traditional way? For guys that need to go wider I’m sure it’s fine but for guys that need to go narrower there’s still all that excess material in play.  

CCM is doing two custom processes; the one you saw in the video, and then the Total Custom process.

The one you saw in the video is the one that is cheaper with the quicker turnaround time - 2 weeks.  It's a retail-spec skate that has been pre-molded to your foot shape.

The Total Custom skate is the one where you choose all of the options and the skate is made off of your mold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

CCM is doing two custom processes; the one you saw in the video, and then the Total Custom process.

The one you saw in the video is the one that is cheaper with the quicker turnaround time - 2 weeks.  It's a retail-spec skate that has been pre-molded to your foot shape.

The Total Custom skate is the one where you choose all of the options and the skate is made off of your mold.

So for a Total Custom you'd likely be able to specify a narrower heel for example, and it would be manufactured to that spec in addition to being heat molded with a last made from the 3D scan? That sounds like what I would have wanted.

In any case, I should have my Pro Custom AS1s by mid-week next week, so for anyone reading that is unsure I will be sure to give some insight to how I feel the custom mold fits vs. off the shelf skate.

Just having something pre-molded to your foot is a nice option. No more scrambling to get your feet in and worrying about how well the pro shop or at home mold goes.

On 4/28/2018 at 7:13 AM, stick9 said:

Icewarehouse now has the entire Tacks line listed. Some very interesting stuff going on. Most notable, a $399 offering being dubbed Connor McDavid’s 2017/18 spec.

Think they got their price points perfect. $549 for one step down from the top is exactly where that model should be.

So the Tacks 9080 is identical to the old JetSpeed? From the gear sightings thread, I think it’s interesting CCM can’t get McDavid to use their current product (or at least something that looks like their current product).

2 minutes ago, CaptainFranchise said:

So the Tacks 9080 is identical to the old JetSpeed? From the gear sightings thread, I think it’s interesting CCM can’t get McDavid to use their current product (or at least something that looks like their current product).

This is absolutely nothing new and definitely not a CCM only kind of thing. Most would be surprised at how far back along the gear evolutionary ladder some pros go for their gear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

This is absolutely nothing new and definitely not a CCM only kind of thing. Most would be surprised at how far back along the gear evolutionary ladder some pros go for their gear.

Fair point- Kane uses an older Supreme model dressed as the current Vapor, for example. But I think it’s interesting McDavid isn’t using old product in a newer graphic, giving that he’s a CCM poster boy. 

Is it common for companies to take older top of the line models (like a JetSpeed skate) and repackage it as a new lower price point product (like a Tacks 9080)?

2 hours ago, CaptainFranchise said:

If it isn't broken, why change? McDavid is just fine in his current skates so I dont see any reason for him to change his equipment.