Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leif

Headaches when playing, helmet fit?

The last three hockey sessions I did were unpleasant due to bad headaches. I realised today that they started after I'd adjusted my helmet. Before it could wobble back and forth easily which I assumed was too loose, and I didn't like the fact that horizontal cage bars could fall down into my field of view. Now it is a tight fit. It's a Bauer 4500, and the adjustment is pretty coarse. Anyone else come across this? I wear a large helmet, and I have a large head. Maybe I need a wider width?

I had this for years with a CCM HT2. Your head expands as you play (especially if you score a goal) and also I tend to bite down on my mouthguard/grit my teeth at times so that also increases the tightness near my temples, where the headaches were. This was made worse by the fact that the cage I was wearing at the time was on the narrow side so when i secured it it would pinch on the sides of the helmet also.

I'd look for a different helmet with a different fit, and don't discount the possibility of a different cage/facial setup helping also.

2 minutes ago, DRR said:

Your head expands as you play (especially if you score a goal)

:4_joy: Thanks for the information, darn, looks like I need a new helmet. However I was toying with the idea of a new helmet as the 4500 is not the best protection according to some (contentious) sources. I do coincidentally have a new Bauer titanium cage, but that is a bit too wide, so it's not easy to close correctly, and the pain did not correspond to using it.

Helmet models have different fits and are sized to fit specific head shapes. I used a 4500 forever and it fit my head great. I tried a couple other helmets but found many of them where too tight in the temple area for my head shape and would cause headaches. 

I eventually moved to a 5100 since it was similar head shape the 4500 and that helmet fit great but I had an issues with sweat dripping into my eyes and I have recently switched to a Re-Act 75 that has solved that issue and not caused any fitment pain.

Best advice I can give you is to try a bunch of helmets on and find one that fits your head the best.

19 minutes ago, getthekidthepuck said:

get your blood pressure checked!

It's at the low end of normal, and my resting heart rate is around 38. I did wonder about a health issue, but the fact that others have suffered headaches from an ill-fitting helmet is reassuring.

3 hours ago, Miserable said:

Helmet models have different fits and are sized to fit specific head shapes. I used a 4500 forever and it fit my head great. I tried a couple other helmets but found many of them where too tight in the temple area for my head shape and would cause headaches. 

I eventually moved to a 5100 since it was similar head shape the 4500 and that helmet fit great but I had an issues with sweat dripping into my eyes and I have recently switched to a Re-Act 75 that has solved that issue and not caused any fitment pain.

Best advice I can give you is to try a bunch of helmets on and find one that fits your head the best.

This is the best advice. The overall size of the helmet doesn't correlate to the head shape it's meant for. I wear a large 5100 myself. I tried a 4500 on in the store about a year ago. It felt like a top hat. I had to move to an XL to even get it on my head. Ultimately, I stuck with the 5100. Miserable's advice is right on the money.