Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nyquil

Shin guards for wide calves

So I am going to get back in to playing after a 10-12 year hiatus and my old shin guards were sold years ago to Play It Again Sports.

So my calf is 21.5 inches (54.6 cm) around at the widest point when completely relaxed. I went to my LHS to try on shin pads and both the Tacks and Nexus pads would not fit. The Nexus came the closest, I could attach the behind the knee strap but neither calf strap would reach.

Now I know that you don't technically need straps on your shin guards with socks and tape but does anyone know of a wider model on the market?  Do you guys who play without straps notice slipping during play?

I am not opposed to getting something preowned if there is a wider one I could get on eBay. Play It Again only have a Vapor in my size which did not fit.

Thanks.

With regards to slippage: many people cut / remove the straps from their shins and only go with tape over the socks. While I don't do that to my shins, I keep the straps rather loose simply so they stay in place while getting dressed, 3 wraps of tape around the lower portion and 3 wraps just below the knee do the trick for me so the shins don't go anywhere.

Are you mainly concerned about the strap being too short or are you looking for "all around" protection (meaning a bigger calf wrap)?

I have big calves as well and have used the Nexus 4000 shins and currently in the Vapor X80’s. I found that the mid to lower end models have a little less cushy padding which helps with the fit for people like me while still offereing pleanty of protection. You might want to look at the Sherwood 5030 HOF or Traditional shins as well. I’ve never tried them but they look like they would fit a wider leg.

2 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

You might want to look at the Sherwood 5030 HOF or Traditional shins as well. I’ve never tried them but they look like they would fit a wider leg

I thought about this but they changed the strapping system for the HOF this year and I can't find a 14" Tradition model anywhere so I don't know if the strapping will have enough elastic.  I've got a couple months so hopefully someone else (I've already seen Ice Warehouse's) does a review before I get them.

Edit:  And my LHS only has Bauer and CCM in protective so I can't just go and check myself.

2 hours ago, nyquil said:

I thought about this but they changed the strapping system for the HOF this year and I can't find a 14" Tradition model anywhere so I don't know if the strapping will have enough elastic.  I've got a couple months so hopefully someone else (I've already seen Ice Warehouse's) does a review before I get them.

Edit:  And my LHS only has Bauer and CCM in protective so I can't just go and check myself.

Check Ice Warehouse and Hockey Monkey. I remember seeing them on their websites 

1 hour ago, tpedersen3118 said:

Check Ice Warehouse and Hockey Monkey. I remember seeing them on their websites 

I have and I’ve done google searches.  It seems every retailer has the new version so It looks like I’ll be doing weekly eBay checks.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:15 PM, CigarScott said:

I'm in the same predicament...I'm curious, as well of what people suggest...

I tried on the Supreme line (the 170s, didn't have the 150s in adult sizes) when I was at the pro shop earlier and it fit.  Just so you know.

I am currently in Supreme S190 shin pads.  They are the widest shin pad I've come across.  I had nexus shins before and they were wide but not nearly as wide as the supremes.

So I decided to bite the bullet and get the new HOF shins from Sherwood a couple days ago.  I figured if the calf strap didn't reach I would just cut it and use power some straps.  I went to Ice Warehouse and when I clicked on Sherwood Shin Guards both the HOF pad and the old 5030 pad popped up.  The old two elastic pad strap the fits across my calves  I had checked their website multiple times and these didn't show up so someone must have found these in the back corner of their warehouse.

Grabbed the 15" 5030 as fast as I could.  They also still have one of the 16" left.

10 hours ago, nyquil said:

So I decided to bite the bullet and get the new HOF shins from Sherwood a couple days ago.  I figured if the calf strap didn't reach I would just cut it and use power some straps.  I went to Ice Warehouse and when I clicked on Sherwood Shin Guards both the HOF pad and the old 5030 pad popped up.  The old two elastic pad strap the fits across my calves  I had checked their website multiple times and these didn't show up so someone must have found these in the back corner of their warehouse.

Grabbed the 15" 5030 as fast as I could.  They also still have one of the 16" left.

I tried the 5030 earlier tonight at Pure Hockey. The calf part and the strap was fantastic but the knee cap on it was way too small especially with the giant, non-removable pad in it. The Supreme S190 was the closest I found that felt decent but they didn't have the right length, I think in that model I needed 17". I'm going to hit up the other two Pure Hockey's while in the area to see if what they have.

So I ended up going with 16" Supreme S190, the 17" we just a tad too long for me. I'm glad to have found a complete set of gear that I can actually use. Thanks everyone for the tips.