Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theinfamoust94

HECC Helmet Certification Longevity

Hey Dudes

I had a quick question about getting a new helmet. My current bucket's HECC certification expires in about a month and its not that comfortable anyway so I'm on the market for a new one

I noticed the higher end helmets are ranged to just under 300$ and some are less than 100$

I obviously know that higher end helmets have nicer foam on the inside and are better for protecting your head and such, but I was curious if I was to buy a more expensive helmet do they have a longer HECC certification since they have better tech and materials into them to keep them safe?

Wondering because my league cracks down on the HECC dates and more certification longevity would make more sense for getting the nicer helmet.. Plus they look better 

Thanks guys

On 12/02/2018 at 2:41 PM, goalieman39 said:

Longevity is the same to my knowledge.  HECC certification is for 6.5 years past genesis date

This is correct. The same time frame for all helmets. 

15 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

What's the theoretical time life of a helmet? In other words, at what point can the plastic and inner foams be considered so old that they're no longer protective?

I would expect this to vary from helmet to helmet...  Surely, different materials will break down at different rates...

17 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

What's the theoretical time life of a helmet? In other words, at what point can the plastic and inner foams be considered so old that they're no longer protective?

While I would personally expect that number to be longer than what’s on the sticker, the only official answer we can give you is to follow the date on the sticker for replacement. 

Depends on the foam, some only last 1 impact like EPP others like VN will wear down over use & time (sweat). I'm no expert but pretty sure plastic doesn't expire, if its not cracked & no components are compromised, the shell will still be fine. 

3 minutes ago, Axxion89 said:

Depends on the foam, some only last 1 impact like EPP others like VN will wear down over use & time (sweat). I'm no expert but pretty sure plastic doesn't expire, if its not cracked & no components are compromised, the shell will still be fine. 

Plastic can become more brittle with age.

Howdy,

Re: longevity reality vs. certified...  From the motorsports world we have things like harnesses (seat belts) age out.  The time limits for that are influenced by 'real' things like how long a car is expected to be in direct sunlight (which damages the material over time, and I would expect that would apply to plastic as well) as well as 'marketing' things like manufacturers having every incentive to want you to replace your helmet more often.  All of those factors are going to vary based on the particular materials used, etc.

Outside of a study using your specific helmet model simulating your specific usage, you're not going to narrow it down more.

And even if that happens, lots of people will disagree with the study because they know better.

Mark

Just because you don't play full-contact doesn't mean you won't take blows to the head. Another person tripping, a hothead wanting revenge, catching an edge close to the boards...

Your head is probably the most sensitive vital part of your body, so I wouldn't necessarily cheap out in that regard "because I don't need it". Just because an old Jofa bucket is light, comfortable and sits well doesn't mean I'd trust it to protect my head well over 20 years after it has been produced.

35 minutes ago, GoalForFun said:

I'm just curious because I don't see myself playing any full-contact hockey ever again so do I really need a helmet that's HECC and CSA compliant?

Well, USA Hockey apparently agrees with you - which is why adults aren't required to have HECC certified helmets. That said... 

12 minutes ago, gosinger said:

Just because you don't play full-contact doesn't mean you won't take blows to the head. Another person tripping, a hothead wanting revenge, catching an edge close to the boards...

Your head is probably the most sensitive vital part of your body, so I wouldn't necessarily cheap out in that regard "because I don't need it". Just because an old Jofa bucket is light, comfortable and sits well doesn't mean I'd trust it to protect my head well over 20 years after it has been produced.

... is absolutely right. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Well, USA Hockey apparently agrees with you - which is why adults aren't required to have HECC certified helmets. That said... 

... is absolutely right. 

All a helmet in good shape will do is prevent a skull fracture.  Nothing more. 

1 hour ago, GoalForFun said:

I'm just curious because I don't see myself playing any full-contact hockey ever again so do I really need a helmet that's HECC and CSA compliant?

My linemate in my Monday night 40 and over league was slew footed Monday and fell backwards, landing on his back and had his head bounce off the ice HARD.  Has a concussion, and is out a couple weeks at least. While he had a newer helmet which I'm sure prevented a fracture, some of the antiques I've seen guys wear would have turned to dust with the same impact. 

Yea but I’m not wearing a helmet that had questionable protection even when it was HECC certified re: Jofa. I have a Re-Akt 100 and a Tacks 710. I’d imagine the plastics and foams in these helmets would last at least a good decade before any sort of structural comprise was significant enough, no?

I just bought a Reebok 11K VN helmet that was a pro stock from the Olympics, I'm guessing from 2014. It's date on it is April 2020. I plan on wearing it until my league says I can't or that it starts feeling janky since this was largest helmet that I could find new. I sure hope that I can get more than a couple of years out of it...

4 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

All a helmet in good shape will do is prevent a skull fracture.  Nothing more. 

Correct. Is anyone suggesting otherwise?

3 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

Yea but I’m not wearing a helmet that had questionable protection even when it was HECC certified re: Jofa. I have a Re-Akt 100 and a Tacks 710. I’d imagine the plastics and foams in these helmets would last at least a good decade before any sort of structural comprise was significant enough, no?

Maybe, but there is no way anyone can answer that, and on this site we generally avoid recommending practices that are potentially unsafe so again it's the same answer: follow the dates on the sticker. 

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Maybe, but there is no way anyone can answer that, and on this site we generally avoid recommending practices that are potentially unsafe so again it's the same answer: follow the dates on the sticker. 

Actually im on the CSA board for Helmets and we have a HECC person on the board. Plastics tested after the best by date tended to fail the same tests of certification at a rate that was high enough to say no a helmet is not structurally safe after that date. However, if say a helmet was not on a shelf in sunlight the helmet was stored with the utmost care then yes it coukd be safe. But most likely woudnt pass certification 

Just as I suspected. Well that’s as close to a definitive answer as one could possibly receive so we’ll go ahead and leave it at that.