Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

Teach me about girdles

Howdy,

I didn't manage to find anything with search, though I expect that's more about me being incompetent vs. the info not being there....  If there's a link I should be reading, please post it?

Considering going to a girdle.  I'm currently using Easton Pro 15 pants.  I like the protection, but I'm wondering if I might be a bit faster without the bulk.  Questions:

* how is the protection as compared to a high end pant like the Pro 15?  Recommendations for particular girdles with good protection?

* How do girdles work with jocks/socks?  Today I use a jock with velcro for socks and no tape.  I don't want to have to deal with taping socks, that just seems annoying.

* Do shells attach to the girdle, or just cinch down over it?

* Shells are unpadded, right?  Just a canvas (or whatever) cover?

* Girdles have nothing to do with a two piece upper / lower pant style, right?

And of course:

* What else don't I know that always comes up when someone switches from pants to a girdle?  :-)

Thanks!

Mark

1. You're going to sacrifice protection for mobility. I've used girdles forever and never noticed the lack of protection. 

2. Wear your jock and socks under the girdle. Either pull it over or wrap it around depending on the style. 

3. Some shells have Velcro tabs that attach to the corresponding girdle. Most do not. Those are kept in place by the belt. 

4. Shells can be padded or unpadded depending on what you buy. If you get the bottom of 2 piece pants, you can keep the padding in but that would be redundant and negate the advantages of mobility   

I wear this one. 

gprjk.jpg ** - This particular model is no longer available. 

Like it a lot. It's mobile. Offers decent protection for beer league and shinny. Don't play contact...so I can't speak to that at all. It actually has the pocket for the cup in the girdle rather than having to wear it under. I use an old school garter for socks. I don't like the bulk of those jock shorts with velcro on the legs. I just wear Under Armour compression shorts under it. Shins. Socks. Garters. Pull girdle up over everything and then the pant cover. 

I wear the Pure hockey SMU tacks girdle. I like it a lot, but one of the manufacturers has one coming out soon that I may look into when it releases.  I agree that you will sacrifice protection over a high end pants, but I haven't really had any ill effects yet. When I was young, I always used girdles, but when I re-started playing, I was in pants for years until the recent switch back. I prefer the mobility, and the lack of bulk. 

Howdy,

How to girdles work with shins?  With my current pants, the bottom of the pant overlaps the shins by an inch or two.  Looks like with a girdle, the bottom part of the thigh pads would be tight to my leg... Is the idea that the thigh pad rides above the shin guard, with no overlap?

Also, I currently put my socks on, then skates, then shins (and cover with socks), then pull pants up over all of that.  I assume if jock/shins/socks go on under the girdle, that I won't be able to do that unless I get a wrap style, right?  I can't imagine a pull on girdle will have room to fit my skate through?

Mark

12 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I didn't manage to find anything with search, though I expect that's more about me being incompetent vs. the info not being there....  If there's a link I should be reading, please post it?

Considering going to a girdle.  I'm currently using Easton Pro 15 pants.  I like the protection, but I'm wondering if I might be a bit faster without the bulk.  Questions:

Good info in these two threads:

colins

10 hours ago, marka said:

Also, I currently put my socks on, then skates, then shins (and cover with socks), then pull pants up over all of that.  I assume if jock/shins/socks go on under the girdle, that I won't be able to do that unless I get a wrap style, right?  I can't imagine a pull on girdle will have room to fit my skate through?

It depends on the type of girdle that you use... There is the wrap-style and the pull-on style. I cut the crotch mesh/spandex on my Super Tacks girdle to make it into the true wrap-style that I was used to with my CCM Pro girdle and the Bauer TotalOne I had been using for a long time before that.

I go:

1. Jock/Garter Belt Combo
  2. Skates & Socks
  3. Shins
  4. Girdle
  5. Shell

The Pull-On Style would change things, I'd imagine.

I go:

Jock/garter belt
Shins/socks
Shell
Skates
Drop shell, girdle

You can use the lowers of your Pro15 as a shell.  And if you're concerned about protection, you can keep the thigh pads in.

I switched to a girdle/shell a few years ago and I'm never going back. for one thing, shells are a LOT cheaper than pants and easier to store. I have about 65 various NHL and college shells right now. 

for another, on days when I Have multiple games at the same rink with a break in between it's easy to take the upper body gear off, slide down the shell and unwrap the girdle (I wear Bauer TO), slide the shell back up and sit around in the lobby more comfortably.

Howdy,

Recommendations for a wrap style girdle that has really good tailbone and hip (i.e. "fall) protection?

Mark

I don't feel like I sacrifice any protection at all (although it's been a little while since I wore one piece pants).

Thigh pad wraps around your thigh, I'm tall and skinny so it doesn't interfere with shinguard at all. I just keep shell on the girdle and basically dress with them like i would with pants. jock/unders, shinguards, socks (which attach to my compression jock, girdle has sock attachments also but i don't use them) then I pull the girdle/shell combo on as a set. From there I can adjust thigh pads to my liking (i tighten/loosen when i put them on/off) and waist adjustment obviously.

It's totally a preference thing. Personally I find that the additional adjustments that a girdle allows to be very helpful since i'm not an average body type and i am difficult to fit properly.

Little late to this party but my 2 cents as I made the switch recently. I picked up the MX3 (medium) a while back but kept on going back to the APX2s (small) because I couldn't get used to the tightness of the MX3. I got over it by wearing them for a 3 hour stick and puck. I only had to adjust the thigh pants to make them looser . No issues with tail bone protection. I'm 5'10 and 160. Only concern is the foam liner inside the Bauer shell is falling apart due to the velcro from the girdle rubbing on it. I don't think the MX3 will last a long time.

On 2/16/2018 at 2:36 PM, 02m3smg said:

Little late to this party but my 2 cents as I made the switch recently. I picked up the MX3 (medium) a while back but kept on going back to the APX2s (small) because I couldn't get used to the tightness of the MX3. I got over it by wearing them for a 3 hour stick and puck. I only had to adjust the thigh pants to make them looser . No issues with tail bone protection. I'm 5'10 and 160. Only concern is the foam liner inside the Bauer shell is falling apart due to the velcro from the girdle rubbing on it. I don't think the MX3 will last a long time.

Go to a fabric store and buy some loose velcro pieces. Mate whatever area there is exposed velcro with the loose velcro you bought from the fabric store.