Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Where do the different radii get placed on the blade for the Quad, Zuperior, and Dual profiles?  The only illustration is with the quad where you essentially have a heel, full arch (base radius), Ball of foot, and toe roughly.  Is that accurate?  And how do the Zuperior and Dual space out those radii?  For example, is the Detroit I mostly a 20ft up to the ball of the foot, or split right in the middle of the arch, or is it a mostly 10ft and the heel gets a 20ft?  If I decided to get say a medium forward pitch to it as well, does that shorten the 20ft area or prevent me from settling on the 20ft when at speed?   The pitch concept is also really throwing me off when it comes to multiple radii.  I've had a 13ft single with a forward pitch, but how does the smaller front profile effect that idea?  Would the Detroit I be a faster profile for crossovers and top end speed than the Quad 2 or Quad S (non prosharp profile/unknown specs)

Edited by McJesus

@JR Boucicaut a buddy of mine is considering an at home sharpener, do you think I should steer him towards this one or a Sparx? How technically proficient does one need to be with the Prosharp home unit versus the Sparx? I am actually considering one of these if I end up liking the Channel Z hollow; do you like that hollow for a goalie?

Same proficiency.  Has a wheel calibration tool, individual hollow wheels and a start button.

Can't say I have experience with a Channel Z on a goalie...I guess when you think about it, it can work.

6 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Same proficiency.  Has a wheel calibration tool, individual hollow wheels and a start button.

Can't say I have experience with a Channel Z on a goalie...I guess when you think about it, it can work.

Channel Z on a goalie works fine, lots of grip. That being said, I only know of one goalie that has tried it and keeps using it despite everyone claiming to like it. 

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

I may have to have you sharpen a pair of steel with that and see how I like it, JR.

Thanks for the answer!

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

Channel Z on a goalie works fine, lots of grip. That being said, I only know of one goalie that has tried it and keeps using it despite everyone claiming to like it. 

I imagine it to be a love or hate proposition, no?

On 12/28/2018 at 12:19 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

Prosharp has released Zuperior and Quad profiles for smaller sizes.

I'll reach out to them and see if I can get those in.  

Nice

On 12/28/2018 at 6:19 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

Prosharp has released Zuperior and Quad profiles for smaller sizes.

I'll reach out to them and see if I can get those in.  

Hi, do you have any experience with the junior sizes ie. XXS? My 10 year old son's 212mm skate (kid is 30kg) had been profiled with an adult Quad 1. The improvement was immediately noticable: more knee bend, higher top speed, more stability.

Wondering if the XXS would be a better fit?

23 hours ago, AJ0005 said:

Hi, do you have any experience with the junior sizes ie. XXS? My 10 year old son's 212mm skate (kid is 30kg) had been profiled with an adult Quad 1. The improvement was immediately noticable: more knee bend, higher top speed, more stability.

Wondering if the XXS would be a better fit?

He would likely need to be in the Quad 3XS which is for size 1-2 skates. If he is using 212 steel that typically corresponds to a size 1. Would he notice a difference, absolutely.

13 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

He would likely need to be in the Quad 3XS which is for size 1-2 skates. If he is using 212 steel that typically corresponds to a size 1. Would he notice a difference, absolutely.

yes the schematics will fit better with Quad 3XS 4-5-7-10

On 11/13/2021 at 11:08 PM, 3rdLineCentre said:

Does the Prosharp Home really only use 30W? I can't see how such a small motor would be able to cut steel especially compared to the Skatepal at 150W and the Sparx at 200W/140W.

It's a 24v DC power supply, not 120v AC like the sparx. That's probably what's throwing you off. The math checks out.

Edited by stick9

18 hours ago, stick9 said:

It's a 24v DC power supply, not 120v AC like the sparx. That's probably what's throwing you off. The match checks out.

I'm not talking about voltage. Prosharp's website says it uses 24v, 1.2A, 30W.

The Sparx also uses DC but the power supply is internal and its specs are not publicly available, it only says 200W (first gen.) or 140W (second gen.) on the back label.

1 hour ago, 3rdLineCentre said:

The Sparx also uses DC but the power supply is internal and its specs are not publicly available, it only says 200W (first gen.) or 140W (second gen.) on the back label.

I'd trust they published the correct info. Though their may be some grey areas. Check out the section labeled Voltage Rating. 

https://incompliancemag.com/article/product-markings-and-labels/

8 hours ago, 3rdLineCentre said:

24v x 1.2A = 28.8W. That can be rounded off to 30W so I assume it's correct. Whether it's mechanically powerful enough for quality sharpening is beyond me.

11 hours ago, Larry54 said:

24v x 1.2A = 28.8W. That can be rounded off to 30W so I assume it's correct. Whether it's mechanically powerful enough for quality sharpening is beyond me.

Prosharp Home does a great job.  I've even had it checked by my most trusted LHS and they were impressed and they do the best sharpening in the state from my experience. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Prosharp Home does a great job.  I've even had it checked by my most trusted LHS and they were impressed and they do the best sharpening in the state from my experience. 

If you don't mind could you take a picture of the label on the power adapter?

On 11/16/2021 at 9:05 PM, 3rdLineCentre said:

If you don't mind could you take a picture of the label on the power adapter?

The rating of the power adapter won't tell you how much power the machine consumes. It will be rated higher than the machine so it can supply the required amount. As long as the adapter supplies 24VDC at the required current (and thus power), it could be a 1000000000W adapter and it would do the job as long as it isn't rated lower than the machine. And if you look at the label on the machine in that same picture, you can see that it says Ptot:30W. It may however be more of an average power rating and the adapter is oversized to handle current surges like when starting up the machine.

On 2/14/2018 at 8:44 AM, Shayne Toporowski said:

I am here to answer any questions you may have regarding ProSharp and performance of ProSharp profiles and machine operation. 

Kind Regards,

SHAYNE TOPOROWSKI
Chief Sales Officer Prosharp INC 
Head Coach Mens Ice Hockey, Worcester State University
Director of Player Development/Head Coach, Competitive Goals
HP1 High Performance Certification, Hockey Canada

Are you still able to answer questions on prosharp machines or has that ended since the Bauer takeover?

7 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Are you still able to answer questions on prosharp machines or has that ended since the Bauer takeover?

Shayne doesnt work for Bauer/ProSharp anymore. 

What question do you have?

12 minutes ago, PBH said:

Shayne doesnt work for Bauer/ProSharp anymore. 

What question do you have?

Skatepal pro 3 - I have to sharpen rentals with one of these, first time user of a Pro 3.

they say the skate is self centering, I gather this is just self centering to the holder and not the wheel? You still have to adjust the wheel to the skate, this is why the machine has the ability to move the wheel? If you have used these machines, how often did you have to reset the wheel alignment ie did the alignment tend to wander over time? 

Is the alignment tool worth getting for the machine?

Edited by Vet88