Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

17 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Skatepal pro 3 - I have to sharpen rentals with one of these, first time user of a Pro 3.

they say the skate is self centering, I gather this is just self centering to the holder and not the wheel? You still have to adjust the wheel to the skate, this is why the machine has the ability to move the wheel? If you have used these machines, how often did you have to reset the wheel alignment ie did the alignment tend to wander over time? 

Is the alignment tool worth getting for the machine?

The alignment tool makes things much easier. Without it centering the machine/wheel is a nightmare. The self-centering mechanism centers the steel to the center of the wheel. Assuming you have the clamp and wheel centered. 

Hi, have the Ellipse profiles become popular yet in the hockey community?  I haven't heard of many that have it for some reason.

For a 254mm holder I'm in a quad 0 and thinking of switching to a quad XS or one of the Ellipse profiles. 

Wondering if people had a hard time switching to Ellipse?  Or is it pretty seamless transition coming from a quad profile?  Is the Ellipse actually superior to quad as advertised?  

22 hours ago, pol13 said:

Hi, have the Ellipse profiles become popular yet in the hockey community?  I haven't heard of many that have it for some reason.

For a 254mm holder I'm in a quad 0 and thinking of switching to a quad XS or one of the Ellipse profiles. 

Wondering if people had a hard time switching to Ellipse?  Or is it pretty seamless transition coming from a quad profile?  Is the Ellipse actually superior to quad as advertised?  

I have the ellipse 1 on my 288 runners and am very happy with them.  Some have said that the ellipse profiles are an easier profile to get used to than the quads.  For me, a constantly changing, seamless arc of an ellipse made more sense than trying to blend together 4 radius' like the quads do.  Again, this was just my rationale in my own head.  I almost went down the rabbit hole of trying a bunch of different profiles and pitches to find the "perfect" one, but in the end, after a couple of weeks of skating on my ellipse profile, i felt it was a noticeable improvement for me in terms of feeling more balanced, stable and agile like it was marketed as.  A year and a half later, I am happy with what i have.  

Mind you, I also spoke with the shop owner Anthony @kkskate who did my profiles to try and get them dialed in.  I told him what skate I had ( Graf Ultra G75's that have a built in forward pitch / lean ), the runner size ( 288 ) and my skating style ( bit more upright D man ) and we altered the pitch that the profile comes with so that I wouldn't be leaning more forward than what I was used to.  As I said, they came to me and I felt good from day 1.  A month later, I felt even better.

I also think pro-sharp could do a better job marketing the ellipse profiles if they would disclose the radius of each area.  Even if it was just an approximate number from toe to heel, they should how 5-6 radius in each area, again, even if its just a close approximation.  With all the other profiles, you know what that the radius is in each zone............ the ellipse, its a mystery.

Edited by noupf
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2022 at 8:39 AM, noupf said:

I have the ellipse 1 on my 288 runners and am very happy with them.  Some have said that the ellipse profiles are an easier profile to get used to than the quads.  For me, a constantly changing, seamless arc of an ellipse made more sense than trying to blend together 4 radius' like the quads do.  Again, this was just my rationale in my own head.  I almost went down the rabbit hole of trying a bunch of different profiles and pitches to find the "perfect" one, but in the end, after a couple of weeks of skating on my ellipse profile, i felt it was a noticeable improvement for me in terms of feeling more balanced, stable and agile like it was marketed as.  A year and a half later, I am happy with what i have.  

Mind you, I also spoke with the shop owner Anthony @kkskate who did my profiles to try and get them dialed in.  I told him what skate I had ( Graf Ultra G75's that have a built in forward pitch / lean ), the runner size ( 288 ) and my skating style ( bit more upright D man ) and we altered the pitch that the profile comes with so that I wouldn't be leaning more forward than what I was used to.  As I said, they came to me and I felt good from day 1.  A month later, I felt even better.

I also think pro-sharp could do a better job marketing the ellipse profiles if they would disclose the radius of each area.  Even if it was just an approximate number from toe to heel, they should how 5-6 radius in each area, again, even if its just a close approximation.  With all the other profiles, you know what that the radius is in each zone............ the ellipse, its a mystery.

Thanks for sharing!  What you say makes sense.  I live in a hockey city but the Ellipse has not taken off here.  Every skate shop I talk to has told me the Ellipse is not popular at all for various reasons but I suspect you're correct about the lack of marketing.  Some of the people who work at these shops have tried the profile and generally like it.  It might be worth a try when I get new runners.

On 10/8/2022 at 2:53 PM, pgeorgan said:

The Ellipse is nothing like what the marketing would have you believe. It feels more like a zuperior than a quad. Felt like I was on rails when I tested it. If you do a search for it on here, you'll find that many users reported feeling like they could go 1-2 sizes down from the runner size recommendation, which is a testament to how long and flat it feels.

👍

On 10/5/2022 at 6:52 PM, pol13 said:

I had Quad XS, Quad Zero, Ellipse XS, Ellipse Zero and Zuperior XS on my 254mm TF7. I´m happy with  Quad XS, but I went the wrong way and testet the Quad XS at last. I burnt two sets of runners testing the profiles vice versa. Agility of Ellipse XS is more like Zuperior XS or Quad Zero. Try the Quad XS and then think about the rest if you want to have less agility and acceleration.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 5:53 AM, pgeorgan said:

The Ellipse is nothing like what the marketing would have you believe. It feels more like a zuperior than a quad. Felt like I was on rails when I tested it. If you do a search for it on here, you'll find that many users reported feeling like they could go 1-2 sizes down from the runner size recommendation, which is a testament to how long and flat it feels. 

Thats exactly what it felt like to me. 👍🏼

• Like 2

So the biggest thing I like about my Quad 0 is the asymmetrical profile, the flatter rear and smaller radius front.  So wouldn't a key decider between these be symmetrical vs.  asymmetrical?  I don't really care about the argument of continuous blending, the quads have easements, you don't pop from one section to the other.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

So the biggest thing I like about my Quad 0 is the asymmetrical profile, the flatter rear and smaller radius front.  So wouldn't a key decider between these be symmetrical vs.  asymmetrical?  I don't really care about the argument of continuous blending, the quads have easements, you don't pop from one section to the other.

The SSM profiles are slightly more symmetrical. I find they are more favored than the standard Quad profiles for players that are transitioning from a standard single radius profile. 

It really is a personal preference for the player. I think a more aggressive toe and longer heel feel better personally, but others might want less of a heel and thus a symmetrical profile will feel better to them. 

On 10/9/2022 at 8:03 AM, hockeydad3 said:

👍

I had Quad XS, Quad Zero, Ellipse XS, Ellipse Zero and Zuperior XS on my 254mm TF7. I´m happy with  Quad XS, but I went the wrong way and testet the Quad XS at last. I burnt two sets of runners testing the profiles vice versa. Agility of Ellipse XS is more like Zuperior XS or Quad Zero. Try the Quad XS and then think about the rest if you want to have less agility and acceleration.

I did go with the Quad XS.  It definitely has a different feel than Quad 0.  Less blade on the ice for sure (especially at the back).  More "rockered".  Better transitions and maneuverability, bit better agility.  Less glide and power off the stride or crossover.  I was surprised at how different it feels from Quad 0 given the numbers don't seem too different.  I've yet to try Zuperior.  Although some other profiles I've had might be similar.  I've heard either great things about Zuperior or horrible things.  No in between.  Prosharp advertises Zuperior is the agility profile, but from what I hear, based on real experiences, it's more for stability and speed.  Which makes sense looking at the profile radii.  Most people I know think Quads are the agility profiles, not Zuperior.