Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Canadian Tire acquires Sher-Wood

I'm betting this will be the equivalent of Dick's Sporting Goods buying Maxfli or Slazerger. They will produce value price point products for exclusive sale at their stores only.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

I'm betting this will be the equivalent of Dick's Sporting Goods buying Maxfli or Slazerger. They will produce value price point products for exclusive sale at their stores only.

Well that means almost every hockey store in Canada.

6 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Given their track record with similar brand names - hockey industry heaven gained another angel. 

Depressing. The Rekker line of sticks was absolutely my favorite. Great bang for the buck. Sucks. 

• Like 1

Literally just bought a pair of 5030 shins on Ice Warehouse.  I'll have to follow this close to see if I'll need to get a backup pair.

Also, if the 5030 stick goes away I may finally be forced to get a composite.  :laugh:

Edited by nyquil

I'd wait and see how it plays out.  Canadian Tire owns all of the big box hockey retailers in Canada, (Pro Hockey Life, Sportchek and National Sports).  You may see players like Warrior, and STX get squeezed out of those stores.

Oh boy. I'm a fan of their sticks and their price points. I hope they keep mostly hands off what they have going right now. Hopefully it'll be just an instance of them expanding on sherwood's presence in the market. 

I wonder what happens if it becomes a Canadian Tire-exclusive brand for non-Canucks. I know quite a few goalies here who use their sticks, will Americans have to order their stuff from Canada now?

• Like 1

Sher wood shot themselves in the foot back when composites first rolled out. They appeared to look at that development as a fad and ignored that market segment until they couldn't any longer. By that time it was too late and they were well on their way to being irrelevant in the market. Much like Graf, I'm surprised they hung on for as long as they did.  

• Like 1

I wonder if this has anything to do with Canadian Tire taking more control of Pro Hockey Life.

I can see Sherwood being an in house brand, would have to be very price competitive though, more so than they were currently. 

30 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Sher wood shot themselves in the foot back when composites first rolled out. They appeared to look at that development as a fad and ignored that market segment until they couldn't any longer. By that time it was too late and they were well on their way to being irrelevant in the market. Much like Graf, I'm surprised they hung on for as long as they did.  

I remember the Momentum being a real bad "composite" stick and had to battle back and finally re-established themselves with the T90... 8 years later.

14 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Oh boy. I'm a fan of their sticks and their price points. I hope they keep mostly hands off what they have going right now. Hopefully it'll be just an instance of them expanding on sherwood's presence in the market. 

Do you think Canadian retailers would book Sher-Wood knowing it makes their competitor stronger?

It'll become a house brand.  Once again, given their track record.

Do you think Sher-Wood will disappear in the United States? Given that the track record of Canadian tire show's them making Sher-Wood a house brand? 

Edited by LFOD78

42 minutes ago, LFOD78 said:

Do you think Sher-Wood will disappear in the United States? Given that the track record of Canadian tire show's them making Sher-Wood a house brand? 

Yes, they were barely in most of the shops if at all here to begin with. 

2 hours ago, Monty22 said:

Yes, they were barely in most of the shops if at all here to begin with. 

They are in most shops (at least the stick line) up here in NH.

Hello everyone, as it’s been mentioned above, Sher-Wood Athletics Group has sold the Sher-Wood trademark and some of the assets to INA International, a division of Canadian Tire (CTC).

I'll let the dust settle a little bit more before I elaborate on the go forward strategy of the Sher-Wood brand within the CTC portfolio. Personally, I've been retained by CTC as Manager of Sher-Wood for INA. Unfortunately, some very good people from our head office were let go, but the North Americain sales force was retained.

Sher-Wood will be run as in independent brand and will continue to develop, market, and distribute Sher-Wood products to customers in Canada, the United States and internationally. The mandate is actually to grow the brand across all distribution channels as opposed to solely becoming a house brand for just the CTC banners.

Edited by Michael9
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Excellent news! Sherwood and Warrior are my favorite manufacturers in the stick category and I’d hate to lose either of them. Keep kickin ass Michael

• Like 1