Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Canadian Tire acquires Sher-Wood

I don't think Canadian Tire would buy Sher-wood to ruin the brand name recognition that comes with the Sher-wood products. 

I just bought a BPM 150 stick. It's quite light.

25 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

I don't think Canadian Tire would buy Sher-wood to ruin the brand name recognition that comes with the Sher-wood products. 

I just bought a BPM 150 stick. It's quite light.

You’d be surprised. There are plenty of brand names out there that used to be bigger but got less popular over time and eventually surfaced as the store brand somewhere. Both in the hockey world and not.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:21 PM, Monty22 said:

Sher wood shot themselves in the foot back when composites first rolled out. They appeared to look at that development as a fad and ignored that market segment until they couldn't any longer. By that time it was too late and they were well on their way to being irrelevant in the market. Much like Graf, I'm surprised they hung on for as long as they did.  

Maybe so, but they're proving to the be come back kid of composites with their current line of sticks.

55 minutes ago, FlyingDutchman said:

Maybe so, but they're proving to the be come back kid of composites with their current line of sticks.

Not so sure about that. The EK line was pretty good, well priced, and still didn't do especially well. I don't see the newer revisions of that line doing any better, especially if Canadian Tire is the only place you'll be able to get them.

2 hours ago, FlyingDutchman said:

A day late and a dollar short. 

11 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Not so sure about that. The EK line was pretty good, well priced, and still didn't do especially well. I don't see the newer revisions of that line doing any better, especially if Canadian Tire is the only place you'll be able to get them.

Canadian Tire also owns FGL Sports (Sportchek and ProHockeyLife), so they cover a big piece of the hockey market in Canada.

colins

• Like 2

14 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Pro Hockey Lifes have gotten a tonne of Sherwood sticks since the purchase. A lot of goalie sticks specifically.

9 minutes ago, Hills said:

Pro Hockey Lifes have gotten a tonne of Sherwood sticks since the purchase. A lot of goalie sticks specifically.

While I really liked the EK series, I'm less than thrilled with their goalie sticks. I was using a GS350 for Winterfest, and the heel was in splinters after one skate. I was hoping to use that stick at every Winterfest, but I guess not (I might still use it even if it isn't in great shape, just because it still looks good and of course that's what matters!) 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

While I really liked the EK series, I'm less than thrilled with their goalie sticks. I was using a GS350 for Winterfest, and the heel was in splinters after one skate. I was hoping to use that stick at every Winterfest, but I guess not (I might still use it even if it isn't in great shape, just because it still looks good and of course that's what matters!) 

Grab some Gorilla Glue! Seals that up like new.

6 minutes ago, Hills said:

Grab some Gorilla Glue! Seals that up like new.

Yeah that would at least enable me to keep using it! I still wouldn't buy another one, though. Warrior have still held up better than anything else I've had. Even the Passau had paint issues very quickly (otherwise I've really liked them, though)