Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jpeaslee

Physical Play in C League

Again, thanks for the feedback.  This:

3 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

We're saying the same thing.  It's ok to lean on a guy or use a hand to guide ("push") him.  You're staying in your space.  Once you start pushing or using your body hard enough to knock someone down, especially by taking a stride towards them, it's not.

I used to get called for angling all the time, and couldn't figure out why.  I was entitled to that space, and never even changed my skating lane, and rulebook specifically says it's ok even in non-checking classifications.  Eventually a teammate told me to just "guide" the player towards the boards "gently" and always make sure you get control of the puck at the end.  (He actually said make love, dont F@%$ him)  I rarely get called for it now because I just skate parallel to him and the boards and step in front when he's out of room, lift his stick, and take the puck.  He can stop if he wants, but if wants to skate into the boards, that's on him.  It not always about what you do, but rather how you do it.

is a much more helpful answer and what I was looking for and asking for in the first place than:

18 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

No one ever accused someone of playing too physical because they got pinned on the boards.  You're doing more than just getting yourself free, or just pushing in front of the net and you know it.  Period.  End of story.  You're looking for someone to tell you that what you're doing is ok like the other johnny try hards that have posted the same questions.  You know what you're doing wrong, it's up to you to decide whether to accept it or not.

I don't need justification for what I'm doing, if that's all I needed, I would have stopped with teammates saying I'm fine.  I do appreciate some of the feedback from you and the other guys.  I think I might also try asking some of the opposing captains and refs for some more specific feedback and advice on what specifically to change from people seeing what's going on rather than going off of my (probably poor) explanation of the situation or observations.  Not doubting you guys, but they potentially can give me a better answer than "and you know it.  Period.  End of story." 

24 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

If you're questioning what's okay, then you already know the answer. That goes for most things in life. 

Absolutely, I can concede to that.  What I'm trying to figure out is where the line is, where different people's opinions are with it.  That's one of the major perks of forums.  

• Like 2

Howdy,

Talking to the other teams / refs (in a non-confrontational way) sounds like a great approach.  Seeing/Experiencing is believing for this stuff.  And folks in your league will know the 'norms' for that league regardless of how they map to the general case, rulebook, etc.

My only remaining comment on this is that the line between when something goes from "guide" to "shove" to "I'm gonna fucking kill you!" depends on the other person's ability too.

I still remember one of my very first pickups and I was skating to the puck in the corner and a guy was coming in after me.  He very lightly shoved my shoulder.  Today, it would have been firmly in the "totally fine" / "even good, because now I know where he is for sure" camp.  But at that time... My skating was much worse.  That light touch ended up overbalancing me and I went head first into the boards.  I was fine.  The guy was clearly extremely surprised that I fell and immediately checked to see if I was ok and apologized.  But it has served as a reminder to me when I'm playing in true beginner leagues now* to be pretty careful about any contact at all, particularly with someone noticeably weaker.

Mark

* If you're curious, I'm playing in a true beginner league because my wife just started playing and we go together.  Its quite a change for me to be the player out there that is actively working to keep things in check so that I'm not a dick.  :-)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Talking to the other teams / refs (in a non-confrontational way) sounds like a great approach.  Seeing/Experiencing is believing for this stuff.  And folks in your league will know the 'norms' for that league regardless of how they map to the general case, rulebook, etc.

My only remaining comment on this is that the line between when something goes from "guide" to "shove" to "I'm gonna fucking kill you!" depends on the other person's ability too.

I still remember one of my very first pickups and I was skating to the puck in the corner and a guy was coming in after me.  He very lightly shoved my shoulder.  Today, it would have been firmly in the "totally fine" / "even good, because now I know where he is for sure" camp.  But at that time... My skating was much worse.  That light touch ended up overbalancing me and I went head first into the boards.  I was fine.  The guy was clearly extremely surprised that I fell and immediately checked to see if I was ok and apologized.  But it has served as a reminder to me when I'm playing in true beginner leagues now* to be pretty careful about any contact at all, particularly with someone noticeably weaker.

Mark

* If you're curious, I'm playing in a true beginner league because my wife just started playing and we go together.  Its quite a change for me to be the player out there that is actively working to keep things in check so that I'm not a dick.  :-)

Just like everything, there are lines there too.  Someone who was taught to check would know that in "no man's land" you want to guide the player all the way into the boards when making contact.  So in those situations when you are approaching the boards from behind someone, you want to make contact in such a way that you carry the person to the boards.  So the contact has to be gradually increased, and you have to going for the puck.  Too often you see someone make contact from behind way too far from the boards and in an attempt to knock the player off the puck (rather than retrieving it, there's a difference).  That's where you see the bad crashes into the boards, especially when the player ins't a good skater and any little nudge will send them flying.  So again, not what but how.

On 2/20/2018 at 12:15 PM, psulion22 said:

Typically, when someone posts something like this, they're wrong.  It's just the way it is.  It's always the same also - "I'm not using my hands/elbows/stick", "My teammates say it's ok", "I'm not getting penalties", "it's just a few guys that seem to complain about everything".  You don't want constructive advice on what's ok, you want someone to tell you it's ok to do what you're doing.  You've had more than one tell you it's probably overly aggressive, but you keep trying to justify it and say you're still looking for advice.  If people are telling you that you're playing too physical, you're playing too physical.  According to the USA Hockey rulebook, it's your job to refrain from all avoidable or deliberate physical contact.  Would you say that you are doing that?  Is the body contact you are making unavoidable?  It doesn't sound like it to me.

I immediately thought of that other thread too, except the vibe I get from this OP is totally different from that previous OP...and I don't think anybody gave that guy more shit about it than I did.  In terms of usable body mass, one of the absolute strongest tanks in my league is about 5-11 and a solid thick (not fat) 250.  He could easily steamroll most of us if he wanted to and he's also usually a first-line scorer. If he goes into the boards against 3 guys, the puck always comes out the other side on his stick; but anytime he anticipates a collision, he becomes a big pillow...absolutely never skates through people aggressively. The only time he uses his size is to keep his stick from being lifted or turning hard into a power move holding the defender off with his inside hand. This OP sounds like this kind of guy to me.

Conversely, there's a guy who's about 6-3, 240 who doesn't do anything so blatantly illegal to get called, but he uses his size obnoxiously and he plays with a totally unnecessary chip on his shoulder. On face-offs he's lost to me he's shoved me right over backwards instead of trying to skate around me when I'm just holding my position. When I covered his stick totally legally in my slot with his teammate behind my net with the puck, he lifted my stick with his until it was all the way over my head and torqued me over backwards over his leg...as though that's "equal" to having his stick legally  covered by mine. He'll also "retaliate" with a slash to the stick or gloves when the puck turns over if I did exactly what I was supposed to do to create that turnover by lifting his stick just as the puck was getting to him. That's the kind of asshole this OP is worried about being perceived as; but to my read,he sounds much more like the pillow guy. We also have a couple of Napoleon Complex idiots who glare at you for any (genuinely) incidental contact; and they're always the same guys actually throwing cross checks in front of both nets while also complaining constantly about everybody else. The guys who take the most physical liberties always seem to be the ones inappropriately outraged anytime someone does half as much to them.

If you're pinned on the boards or surrounded, you have every right to skate as hard to get free as possible, even if someone goes down in your wake. You can also skate as hard as you want to directly toward the puck. If someone else gets there at the same time coming from the other direction and he goes flying, that's not on you. I once posted a clip in a thread about cages protecting you from hard unintentional collisions...Both the other guy and I knew the other was coming for the puck and both of us just tried our best to get there first...we happened to get there at the exact same time, both went flying backwards and he was out cold for a few seconds.  Every player makes that decision for himself and part of that is knowing to be more careful if the other guy's twice your size. But we all know there's a big difference between that and just saying "Hey, I was just going for the puck!" when you're really purposely knocking guys away like curling stones even though your simultaneous intention was also to get to the puck. One guy once said that on the ice at a league scrimmage where he and the guy on my team who he'd almost knocked the F out checking him to get to the puck all sat together in the dressing room afterwards. My first words to him were "Hey, Dennis..." I reached into my bag and held up a puck "This is a puck"...then I pointed to the guy he blew up "This is a dude, OK?"

My read on this OP is that his head's in the right place but he's second guessing himself because guys keep bouncing off him. 

Edited by YesLanges
  • Like 1

In our C league, we play "physical" but not checking. Just simply bumping into guys while playing for the puck along the boards, or trying to move guys out from in front of the net. I play D and I'm not a big guy at all (5'9" and 155 lbs), and when guys trying to dangle and do their toe drags I simply step up and bump into them. I don't hit, I just step up and get in their way. I find the only guys that usually bitch and moan about this stuff are smaller guys in the 20-25 age range who try to dangle the whole time. When you start playing physical with them and they can't dangle, it ruins their whole game.

Last game I played, there were two pretty skilled guys on the other team. I was playing hard on both. They played hard back. One whined like no other and had a tantrum on the bench. The other shook my hand at the end of the game and we joked how it was a good hard-fought game and left on good terms. Guess which one of these two guys tried to toe drag about 50-75% of the time he came into the zone?

FWIW, I haven't taken a penalty in about 15 games...

4 hours ago, YesLanges said:

I immediately thought of that other thread too, except the vibe I get from this OP is totally different from that previous OP...and I don't think anybody gave that guy more shit about it than I did.  In terms of usable body mass, one of the absolute strongest tanks in my league is about 5-11 and a solid thick (not fat) 250.  He could easily steamroll most of us if he wanted to and he's also usually a first-line scorer. If he goes into the boards against 3 guys, the puck always comes out the other side on his stick; but anytime he anticipates a collision, he becomes a big pillow...absolutely never skates through people aggressively. The only time he uses his size is to keep his stick from being lifted or turning hard into a power move holding the defender off with his inside hand. This OP sounds like this kind of guy to me.

Conversely, there's a guy who's about 6-3, 240 who doesn't do anything so blatantly illegal to get called, but he uses his size obnoxiously and he plays with a totally unnecessary chip on his shoulder. On face-offs he's lost to me he's shoved me right over backwards instead of trying to skate around me when I'm just holding my position. When I covered his stick totally legally in my slot with his teammate behind my net with the puck, he lifted my stick with his until it was all the way over my head and torqued me over backwards over his leg...as though that's "equal" to having his stick legally  covered by mine. He'll also "retaliate" with a slash to the stick or gloves when the puck turns over if I did exactly what I was supposed to do to create that turnover by lifting his stick just as the puck was getting to him. That's the kind of asshole this OP is worried about being perceived as; but to my read,he sounds much more like the pillow guy. We also have a couple of Napoleon Complex idiots who glare at you for any (genuinely) incidental contact; and they're always the same guys actually throwing cross checks in front of both nets while also complaining constantly about everybody else. The guys who take the most physical liberties always seem to be the ones inappropriately outraged anytime someone does half as much to them.

If you're pinned on the boards or surrounded, you have every right to skate as hard to get free as possible, even if someone goes down in your wake. You can also skate as hard as you want to directly toward the puck. If someone else gets there at the same time coming from the other direction and he goes flying, that's not on you. I once posted a clip in a thread about cages protecting you from hard unintentional collisions...Both the other guy and me knew the other was coming for the puck and both of us just tried our best to get there first...we happened to get there at the exact same time, both went flying backwards and he was out cold for a few seconds.  Every player makes that decision for himself and part of that is knowing to be more careful if the other guy's twice your size. But we all know there's a big difference between that and just saying "Hey, I was just going for the puck!" when you're really purposely knocking guys away like curling stones even though your simultaneous intention was also to get to the puck. One guy once said that on the ice at a league scrimmage where he and the guy on my team who he'd almost knocked the F out checking him to get to the puck all sat together in the dressing room afterwards. My first words to him were "Hey, Dennis..." I reached into my bag and held up a puck "This is a puck"...then I pointed to the guy he blew up "This is a dude, OK?"

My read on this OP is that his head's in the right place but he's second guessing himself because guys keep bouncing off him. 

Does anyone ever tell the first guy that he's playing too physically, especially if he's the one with the puck?  My guess is no.

I'm taking it as more of your last paragraph.  Using excessive force in the act of playing the puck.  I really don't see any other way a player pinned on the boards can be told he's playing too rough.  He's Forsberg-ing it - forcefully and agressively leaning into a player to create space.  He's the guy in your second paragraph, using his size obnoxiously - just without that dirtyness and use of his hands and stick.

Obviosly we're not there to see for sure.  But I just don't see this as a passive problem.  When you have a guy who is being told he's playing too rough when in possession of the puck asking exactly how much contact he's allowed to use, it's more than a guy just being bigger than his opponents.

In beer league I don't think there are any lines. The refs don't call anything consistently so you may play less physical and get a penalty because of your size where a smaller player or (don't kill the messenger) a women can hack, slash, hit without consequence. I try to just play my normal game at the start and go from there. If the refs are letting more physical play go, I'll play that way. If they are calling everything, then you have to tone it down. I have always said that the lower levels and newer players are more dangerous to play because they don't have a sense of where the line is, have the skills and think it's game 7 for the cup. Higher levels and players move differently, see the game different and have more control. If you rub them out on the boards they don't become a yard sale like a player who doesn't skate well or has never played contact. Not every (legal) push from behind or hard play in the corners that makes someone fall over is a penalty. 

35 minutes ago, chk hrd said:

In beer league I don't think there are any lines. The refs don't call anything consistently so you may play less physical and get a penalty because of your size where a smaller player or (don't kill the messenger) a women can hack, slash, hit without consequence. I try to just play my normal game at the start and go from there. If the refs are letting more physical play go, I'll play that way. If they are calling everything, then you have to tone it down. I have always said that the lower levels and newer players are more dangerous to play because they don't have a sense of where the line is, have the skills and think it's game 7 for the cup. Higher levels and players move differently, see the game different and have more control. If you rub them out on the boards they don't become a yard sale like a player who doesn't skate well or has never played contact. Not every (legal) push from behind or hard play in the corners that makes someone fall over is a penalty. 

I just wish the refs would call more in lower levels so players DO learn where the line is. Unfortunately they just don't seem to care. 

We got lucky. The manager of the rink I skate at has been involved in our city's hockey for many, many years and also use to ref ECHL games. A couple of weeks ago Tuesday hockey was short a ref so he stepped in. It was quite a difference compared to the normal ref's. It worked so well that he has been reffing the games since then to help the refs learn how to be better. He shows how to get and give respect, how to communicate with players and how to keep the game under control. He talks with his reffing partner during the game to let them know how they are doing, good or bad. His old coaching habits come out and he'll talk to players about what they are doing or why something happened, he even tells you nice play, which is always good to hear. He is secure in his knowledge of reffing, playing and coaching and has earned the respect of most of the people in our hockey community. The last three weeks have been the best reffed games I can remember, all because of one person. Hopefully it rubs off on the other refs.     

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I just wish the refs would call more in lower levels so players DO learn where the line is. Unfortunately they just don't seem to care. 

Yea, there seems to be the sediment with the majority of officials doing lower-level adult hockey. It isn't fair to players and I try as much as possible to respect the players with appropriate effort.

2 minutes ago, chk hrd said:

We got lucky. The manager of the rink I skate at has been involved in our city's hockey for many, many years and also use to ref ECHL games. A couple of weeks ago Tuesday hockey was short a ref so he stepped in. It was quite a difference compared to the normal ref's. It worked so well that he has been reffing the games since then to help the refs learn how to be better. He shows how to get and give respect, how to communicate with players and how to keep the game under control. He talks with his reffing partner during the game to let them know how they are doing, good or bad. His old coaching habits come out and he'll talk to players about what they are doing or why something happened, he even tells you nice play, which is always good to hear. He is secure in his knowledge of reffing, playing and coaching and has earned the respect of most of the people in our hockey community. The last three weeks have been the best reffed games I can remember, all because of one person. Hopefully it rubs off on the other refs.     

That's pretty cool. I always enjoy working with officials who work higher levels than I (NCAA/Pro). You get to learn from them just by watching. The ones who give back their knowledge obtained are keepers. Those are the guys/girls who make the grassroots better for officiating. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, jpeaslee said:

I definitely get that.  I'm not reckless or uncontrolled.  I don't ever knock anyone around, but I'm definitely an aggressive player.  Often guys will try an do similar things to me, and end up on their ass.  Last night I had a guy push me from behind in front of the net, he fell on his ass, and then was screaming at me.  I literally did nothing.  Didn't push, didn't use my arms, I just didn't give.  I think I'm going to move up to d2 next session and hopefully that will fix some of that.  A vast majority of guys in our league learned hockey at a later age, so this is not only the highest level of hockey they've ever played, but also they're coming from football, basketball, etc.  

I'm huge guy 6'8" 295 now . I'm old I played pro in the mid to late 80's played center   . When I became a rec league player here is how I played:  I adjusted my play relative to the opposing team. I played in a generous way ; I allowed others to enjoy the game on both sides.  I either dialed back the speed or didn't shoot.::: try this mind set or move up a level.  It sounds like you have alot of athleticism. Another thing is honestly evaluate your self : is the way I'm playing changing the outcome of the game. Am I just knocking someone on there but to do that. Or did you create an opportunity?    Pretty much @ rec league level D in front of the net you are limited  to stick on the ice under the opposing players but and push out or tie up the stick or give the player no room to move.  Unless you are lifting guys off there skates and tossing them ; that's what you should be doing  .     Depending on your speed and lateral mobility you may create break out opportunity by tying up the other guys stick ,this way five fast strides and you create an opportunity verses just a prevention.   Thinking like a forward  I personally wouldn't be trying to set up close to the net and I would be in motion and use you covering a wing as a screen  or use a point.  Trying to show you playing physical in this situation actually shackles you and takes you out of making opportunity.   Take the opportunity to be a better tactician  . Play chess out there . 

On 2/20/2018 at 11:29 AM, Haggerty said:

Don't have to deal with people posting up normally most guys in higher levels find open areas to be not sitting in front of the net.  All depends on the talent level on the ice really, obviously if you are a weaker skater posting up in front of the net is a good idea to get goals, dino ciccarelli and phil Esposito made a hall of fame game out of it.  Most guys that have played at a higher level don't feel it necessary to grind away in front of the net on something you are doing for fun. 

If someone is sitting in front most people just tie up the stick, if you really want to move the guy where ever his torso goes he goes so just think of that.

Yes exactly it's flat footed play  . A really doing the goal tender no favors.  Back in my beer league days there was just age brackets so you could have someone that'that's just starting or ex pro or division 1 players . There was a certain kind of player that seemed to always knocking the beginning players over when they could have backed off still end up with the puck and not make the other person spin like a top . Nature of the game this will happen on accident sometimes but not continuous.     Used to try and police this myself along with couple other guys . 

I was watching the US vs CA women's game last night. I think the way they played was a good example of how upper level beer league hockey should be played. Physical without hitting (although there were some good hits). They rubbed players out on the boards, worked hard in the corners and on the boards, held their ice and played strong in front of the net. Dial it down a little and it works for the mid-lower levels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chk hrd said:

I was watching the US vs CA women's game last night. I think the way they played was a good example of how upper level beer league hockey should be played. Physical without hitting (although there were some good hits). They rubbed players out on the boards, worked hard in the corners and on the boards, held their ice and played strong in front of the net. Dial it down a little and it works for the mid-lower levels.

Um they are playing for gold, we are playing for the beer and bullshitting after the game; upper level beer leagues aren't played like that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chk hrd said:

It is funny that people believe this. If you watch a truly high level beer league game you'll see that pretty much the only contact at all is by accident.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chk hrd said:

No. Just no. People need to ignore what they see on TV when it comes the physical aspect of hockey. The girls were throwing body checks out there and had something to play for. There is NOTHING to play for in beer league haha. 

On 2/20/2018 at 12:38 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Agree with every word you said. This thread reminds me so much of the other one we had a few months ago with the former football player that wanted to be "an energy guy" in beer league. 

At least he learned from it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

No. Just no. People need to ignore what they see on TV when it comes the physical aspect of hockey. The girls were throwing body checks out there and had something to play for. There is NOTHING to play for in beer league haha. 

Beer league is no check...........don't hip check, don't body check, don't back check.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I guess you missed the part that said physical WITHOUT THE HITTING. If your think it is remotely possible to play hockey without any contact what so ever please tell me about it. I don't recall ever seeing or playing in a game where there was no physical play. My point is you can still play a fun, physical game within the rules without cross checking, boarding, or trying to take the opponents head off.  

19 minutes ago, chk hrd said:

I guess you missed the part that said physical WITHOUT THE HITTING. If your think it is remotely possible to play hockey without any contact what so ever please tell me about it. I don't recall ever seeing or playing in a game where there was no physical play. My point is you can still play a fun, physical game within the rules without cross checking, boarding, or trying to take the opponents head off.  

Of course you can. The problem is that the majority don't know the rules and take what they see on TV is the same precedent as USA Hockey Youth/Adult legislation haha.

40 minutes ago, chk hrd said:

One of my favorite weekends used to be when I'd referee the Super A and A divisions of the Chowder Cup in Marlboro. You only needed the whistle for offsides and icings and barely even that. Those guys could play and never touched each other.

3 hours ago, chippa13 said:

One of my favorite weekends used to be when I'd referee the Super A and A divisions of the Chowder Cup in Marlboro. You only needed the whistle for offsides and icings and barely even that. Those guys could play and never touched each other.

Well that's where you see honed refined skills and speed .You pass to a spot and you know the team mate is going to get it .     ...  I think what is happening in beer league play is the inexperienced players are trying very hard and they don't know the game all that well. They are reacting to what happened . When in possesion of the puck they feel hurried or even frantic . I think the majority of the infractions happen with in these categories and not malicious intent .     @ the c level are there players that really really know the game?  I'm not asking to be a smart ass . I truly don't know how these groups are put in classifications ? Who says what group a player goes with?  Maybe it was better when everyone was put together and there were experienced players to teach his or her team mates.  ?   Because how is the  c player going to learn or maybe even told only partially correct?  

3 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

@ the c level are there players that really really know the game?  I'm not asking to be a smart ass . 

Sometimes you have to make the decision that it's time to move down a level. I would love to still play in an A-B level but my age caught up to my body and I had to accept that I can't physically keep up with guys more than half my age that just aged out of Juniors. Now I play in an B-C level which allows me to enjoy the game more. I still have the same abilities, their just not as fast as they need to be. I still see the ice but my reactions are a little slower. It sucks and sometimes gets frustrating not being able to do some of the things you use to do. All you can do is accept it and do what you need to if you want to keep playing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chk hrd said:

Sometimes you have to make the decision that it's time to move down a level. I would love to still play in an A-B level but my age caught up to my body and I had to accept that I can't physically keep up with guys more than half my age that just aged out of Juniors. Now I play in an B-C level which allows me to enjoy the game more. I still have the same abilities, their just not as fast as they need to be. I still see the ice but my reactions are a little slower. It sucks and sometimes gets frustrating not being able to do some of the things you use to do. All you can do is accept it and do what you need to if you want to keep playing. 

So it's highly likely there are folks like yourself that can guide these  new to the game players  .  Thank you