Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khard

Help With New Pads (Sizing)

Greetings All,

Apologies for the longer post with images but I could use some help.  I recently went to a local store and they helped me "size" some pads.  They did not have any stock in store so then I ordered from them online.  These are the second set of pads I have, the first set were older Reebok XTK pads that I feel were too large so these obviously feel different and can't tell sizing so if you guys could help I would appreciate it.

I am basically wondering about the "gaps" that I keep hearing about and how there shouldn't be any, yet the guy at the store said there would be gaps so I don't really know who to believe.

FRONT_PROFILE.jpg  BACK_PROFILE.jpg  LEFT_PROFILE.jpg  RIGHT_PROFILE.jpg

Below here are now the new shin pads, basically is my knee lining up where it should be with the knee cap in the pads?:

New:

KNEE_LEVEL_NEW.jpg  Here are my old shin pads>>>:   KNEE_LEVEL_OLD.jpg

Now... gaps of shin pads near my ankle area (is this just a Bauer Supreme style?)

SHIN_GAP_NEW.jpg   Inner>>:  SHIN_INNER.jpg    And here are the old pads>>   SHIN_GAP_OLD.jpg

Here are the levels with my pants with both new (Supremes) and old (Reebok) shin pads:

SHIN_SIZE_FRONT.jpg       SHIN_SIZE_BACK.jpg       SHIN_SIDE.jpg

Finally the gloves,  if the gaps between the gloves and the elbow pads are ok, where should they be in relation to my palm?  The red line represents the round part of my palm

New:

GLOVE_PALM_NEW.jpg     And here are my old gloves>>>:   GLOVE_PALM_OLD.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures, my wife was as annoyed taking them as you are probably now viewing them; but any information would be helpful.  At this point I'm not sure if pads are fitting correctly or if I'm thinking about "it" (gaps/length/etc.) too much.  Thoughts?

Howdy,

I expect someone with more experience will be along but I'll give you my novice thoughts anyway...

First, there will be some gaps.  You don't want to eliminate gaps entirely when you're just standing because then when you move stuff runs into other stuff and can bind / restrict / whatever.  I would say generally speaking you want the gaps minimized, but its unrealistic to expect them to be eliminated.

Second, both of those shins are a decent bit shorter than I wear mine.  For me, my shins go down lower on my skate, with the bottommost part of the shin pad covering up the top of my skate laces.  Doing that gives me more protection in that area, plus eliminates more of the gap you're seeing on the side above the boot.

Nothing else really jumped out to me.

Mark

Unless you are wearing goalie gear, there will be gaps. I'm not sure where you are hearing there shouldn't be gaps. In general the fit seems pretty good. Considering you are going over the skates with your shin pads, I might try a size bigger. Also lot of fit is also personal preference. For example, when playing more competitively I wore longer gloves and beefier elbow pads to minimize bruises and lumps on my forearms. Now playing beer league it's not necessary and I wear a little smaller and more mobile gloves and elbow pads.

Here's a thread where you can see some NHL'ers in their shoulder and elbow pads: http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67908-marty-st-louis-franken-pads/

So definitely gaps. They do generally have no gaps along the outside of the arms from the shoulders to gloves as they would otherwise get banged up from sticks, boards, etc. But this is less important in your average adult non-check league.

Appreciate the feedback guys.  The shin pads did give me a weird feeling.  I really dug how the new ones felt being more snug fit but they just seem a little off, especially my knee cap, when i take a knee I feel like my knee could slide forward out of the pad.  Probably going up a size or so would fix that.

The upper body pads look fine? As well as glove palm area?  The new gloves feel like I have more control over my old pads where before trying to grab my stick after going one handed felt awkward at times.

I'd say your shins might be an inch too short. Nothing else unusual. There are some gaps that are more acceptable to me than others, like between shoulders and elbows.  Some you have to be a little more careful about, like elbows-gloves, because that's a common area for an errant slash. A small gap between the bottom of pants and top of shins is common, for me at least.

If you like to stand in front of the net, make sure you have enough kidney/spine protection.

Aside from that, it's all preference.

I would agree with everything said here.

A few other things you could consider:

1) The bicep protection on the shoulders could be dropped down with the adjustable velcro. At least it looks like you have that feature on those shoulder pads.

2) Many people like shins to end at the top eyelet. This is completely PP. I like to have my shins cover the top two eyelets. I'm a tongue-tucked under guy. If you like to flop your tongue out, shorter shins are needed. You'll also get a bit more calf protection if you size up on the shins.

3) Gloves should fit on the palm width and finger length. Most of the styles these days are short-cuffed. There are some styles with longer cuffs. So if you want more wrist protection, look for one them in the same size. Alternatively, you can buy elastic or velcro wrist guards to wear between your gloves and elbows.

On 2/28/2018 at 4:18 PM, Davideo said:

They do generally have no gaps along the outside of the arms from the shoulders to gloves as they would otherwise get banged up from sticks, boards, etc. But this is less important in your average adult non-check league.

If you watch any given NHL game, you see all sorts of skin at the wrists. Lots of guys are definitely are not body armored up from shoulder to glove.