Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I sent my skates back to Scott but now I've been not able to receive reply from him.

This is very rare for Scott.

I'm waiting my skates for changed flexible tendon guard and thicker tongue.

It's a long weekend here in Canada, be patient.

Tendon guard on my left skate broke about 10 skates in. :sad: Concerned if this will be a 1 time issue or ongoing. Would be quite expensive to repair over time with shipping and repair costs.

More bad news from my end... the tendon guard on my left skate is already becoming loose. Looks like the average life-span for this tendon guard is 3-4 months before it snaps.

Damn shame! Because, without a doubt, this is the most comfortable boot I've worn. But, as is, has a major design flaw that renders the boot useless. Scott should consider redesigning the mounting system to a 3-point (like the MLX) instead of the 1-point.

As of now, the left skate is still in tact, but if it fails, I'll be forced to abandon these skates and instead go custom Bauer. I can't afford to keep sending them back to have the tendon guard fixed!

Edited by mc88

As stated earlier, tendon guard issue here too. (cant remember if the site ate that post when it went down).

Fixed once on my own (the copper came loose and was angled into back of my ankle), now the other guard is broken but otherwise still affixed to the skate.

A lot of people in Canada Monday off because Canada Day fell on a Tuesday. Many decided to just take the whole week. Scott may either be off for the week or he was off Monday and Tuesday and came back to a pile of emails he has to dig through. Vacation season has begun.

So obviously this thread will have a lot of people with their VH issues. Just wondering if there are people out there WITHOUT any long term issues on these skates?

Since I ordered my skates I've had to get them tweaked. Scott has been super responsive and I appreciate him helping out. With that said I have not been using them regularly because they've been getting tweaks here and there. But reading through these posts makes me worried that after 6 months they will fall apart.

Anyone been using these for more than 6 months without issues?

Happy 4th by the way!

I sent my skates back to Scott at 13, June.

I was taught from some people on this thread that Scott might be in his long vacation.

I don't know that detail.

But I think now is the term of beginning conditioning camps in Canada, isn't it?

Of course vacation or holiday need for him.

But I wanted to be taught if he already had a plan for the vacation.

If I knew that schedule, I didn't send my skates back and continued using because it is not repair but just customize.

Probably I sent after his vacation would be over.

I checked VH's website though I couldn't find something like schedule information.

Does anyone know about his vacation term?

Scott isn't the only person who works at VH... Others are seen working on skates in his videos, for example. Chances are there's just some backlog/or his vacation at the moment. Scott is the only one who answers the scott@ email address though.

If you can't get a hold of Scott, perhaps try Shawn shawn@vhspeedskating.com

He's only on the speed-skating side though (in Calgary) and won't be able to help you with your skates, but maybe he knows if Scott is on vacation, sick, or can provide some more information to put your mind at ease.

Hi Kaku,

this is Scott and I am just catching up on the thread. I haven't received an email from you. I apologize if they maybe got sent to my junk folder.

We are adding a new customer service director to our team and his email will also be added to the site if you have issues reaching me.

FYI we are just waiting on the steel that you ordered.

Regarding the tendon guard: For the guys that are having issues could you please email (scott@vhfootwear.com) me pictures. If it is the copper rivet coming loose this can be replaced at your local pro shop with a new copper rivet. You just need to make a small hole through the vibram to expose the crimp end of the old copper rivet (outside of skate), pop out the old loose rivet, and install the new one through the same hole with the copper crimp end now outside of the vibram.

Thank you Scott,

Also I have received a reply from the other VH person.

I have sent you emails twice but it might not reach for you.

I was worried about perhaps you were sick!

I just wanted to post my thoughts on my VH skates. I've had the skates for a few months but it has been tough to for me to find ice time outside of games to try them out and subsequently send them back to Scott for tweaks. Finally had some extra ice time over the past few weeks and I did not like the width of one of the skates. So the last thing I had Scott do was widen my right skate a tad and I sent it back. The right skate came back to me today. I baked it as soon as I got home and then used them about 2 hours later for my adult house league game.

This is the first time I have skated on them and felt that BOTH skates were a PERFECT fit. As someone had previously stated before, its like having gloves on your feet. The skates are so damn comfortable. Since it is carbon fiber and the boot truly is one piece for the most part, they are extemely responsive. There is no slop at all during crossovers in the toebox area. I actually tried on a pair of graf 9035's this past weekend and they are nowhere near as perfectly fitting as the VHs. If you think about it the VHs are not that much more expensive than top of the line graf's or bauer's etc. but they are essentially exact fits to each individual foot! Well worth the extra 100-200 to purchase these over a top of the line graf/bauer/ccm/rbk in my opinion.

My only concern is the longevity of the skates. I suppose only time will tell. I know people have been having issues with the tendon guard. Hopefully those are the exceptions rather than the rules.

I hope these VH skates catch on more. They are amazing skates and I look forward to the improvements Scott will make over time.

Edited by uclaman

Can you describe the ordering process a bit? I'm considering going down the VH route because no modern skates really fit my feet right now. Mako's do, but I worry about the skimpy level of protection they offer.

Pretty much as described on the vhfootwear website. You perform the measurements and tracings and send the files to them. If you have any special requests or need to accomodate an injury, bone spur, etc, you mark these items on your sheet or discuss them with Scott.

He's good at working with you to get the right solution. You can specify any blade or holder. Once he reviews your order, he'll send you an online invoice that you can pay with paypal or whatnot. Then you wait for the skates to arrive. Pretty easy and straightforward.

14504042907_141e2147c3.jpg

Finally I completed tuning.

Boots... VH Footwear custom with flexible tendon guard
Tongues... cut off VH's genuine tongue around toe box and top
Holders... Tuuk Lightspeed2 263
Edges... Step Steel V-Speed XL
Shoelaces... nowaxed 96"
Insoles... Sidas Conformable
Contouring... 13' radius, +1 pitch and slide center point 1mm forward by Blademaster machine
Sharpening... BFD X7
Shims... 3mm heel lift shim and 2+1mm medial side shim

If I want more than this, I may keep them when I will order new skates for me, probably 1or2 years after.

14710369143_c95d8f980c.jpg

How about a picture of the tendon guard from the back of the skate...

Actually, I thought nothing have changed seemingly from normal tendon guard to this flexible one.

And I felt it's not softer than Mako's.

Also I realized that we have to change the form from more bottom area of heel if want to achieve more kicking amount of ankle.