Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Just found out you can order sizes 7-10 now. I may be putting in another order soon.

The vh footwear facebook page has pictures of the black skate(new versions). Their twitter feed also has a skate with blue accent.

Edited by uclaman

Just confirmed that the pair i ordered will be made to the new design. I will post some pictures when they arrive. I'm pumped!

• Like 1

Just confirmed that the pair i ordered will be made to the new design. I will post some pictures when they arrive. I'm pumped!

Did you make any custom changes unique for yourself?

Anyone have "must do" recommendations based on their previous experiences? Wondering if the bottom, side piece of leather on the middle/ bottom of the boot, could use a row of stitching.

Edited by mxpowder

Did you make any custom changes unique for yourself?

Anyone have "must do" recommendations based on their previous experiences? Wondering if the bottom, side piece of leather on the middle/ bottom of the boot, could use a row of stitching.

After reading this thread, i had a couple changes. Like the coating on the toe cap, flexible tendon guard etc. But since it seems the new model takes care of most of these things, i just kept it the way it is. Also did not get any additional colours. I think the all black boot looks pretty slick. Main thing for me is the fit, and that's what i am looking forward to the most. Also would like to note, i really like how they went to a flat head screw for the velcro instead of the button head.

After reading this thread, i had a couple changes. Like the coating on the toe cap, flexible tendon guard etc. But since it seems the new model takes care of most of these things, i just kept it the way it is. Also did not get any additional colours. I think the all black boot looks pretty slick. Main thing for me is the fit, and that's what i am looking forward to the most. Also would like to note, i really like how they went to a flat head screw for the velcro instead of the button head.

Did you ask if the new tendon guard is mobile or fixed? I'm curious about that.

Sent my tracings and measurements. Excited to see how these come out, hope they fit as well as described. I'm a little freaked out about the new toe cap design, but the consensus seems well received.

Did you ask if the new tendon guard is mobile or fixed? I'm curious about that.

Just e-mailed Rob. Tendon guard is more flexible than Bauer's, but not as flexible as the Mako. Interpret that as you may.

• Like 1

My low-end Reactor goalie skates are starting to break down, and have actually started digging into the area where the eyelets are on my right skate. Wife gave me the green light to buy something nicer because "it appears you might actually stick with the goalie thing". Apparently she had doubts... lol.

So, time to take tracings for VH.

I'm debating whether I want the tan clarino or black wicking liner... Can anyone who has VH skates provide recommendations?

I'm also thinking of the stiffer tongue. Since its a goalie skate it's really just an anti-lacebite consideration more than an actual flex thing.

Personal recommendations?

I love the tan clarino in mine. It's held up well. In goalie skates, maybe I'd try the black wicking liner... Might be a bit "grippier".

I'd also recommend the regular tongue for goalie. I like the forward flex while wearing pads and I'd hate to be restricted or pinched if it's too stiff. I don't think lacebite would be an issue if you have the right depth/fit.

I just got an email back from them:

"Two liners - our tan clarino is our most popular. It is antimicrobial, and very durable. The black wicking liner is great if you play barefoot or sweat a ton."

I think I'll probably go with the clarino, just because that seems to be what works for them and their customers. Since I don't care either way, I'll just go with their recommendation.

They also said the comfort edge and lundqvist loops are both standard, and they CAN make a maltese gel tongue though it will be quite thick. I'll just go with the stock one and change it if I want/need to (yay easily changeable tongues!)

"Two liners - our tan clarino is our most popular. It is antimicrobial, and very durable. The black wicking liner is great if you play barefoot or sweat a ton."

I think I'll probably go with the clarino, just because that seems to be what works for them and their customers. Since I don't care either way, I'll just go with their recommendation.

They also said the comfort edge and lundqvist loops are both standard, and they CAN make a maltese gel tongue though it will be quite thick. I'll just go with the stock one and change it if I want/need to (yay easily changeable tongues!)

You sound like me, I ordered a player skate but same options as you. Just ordered a couple days ago. I went ahead and used acrylic black paint to stamp my footprint, then did a tracing.

Awesome. Sounds like good choices. I still really want to try the black wicking. Maybe I'll order it on my goalie set.

I got mine a few weeks ago (old toe cap / design). I got them because I have terrible arch pain all the time. I've gone through several other skates and finally decided that if anything was going to fix my issue, it was these. They have not been magic, but they have significantly reduced the pain I experience to at least bearable. In fairness, we have been tweaking and trying different things and are still working on it and the latest round of suggestions had a positive impact. I have to say both before and after the sale, Rob from VH has been great.

The fit is amazing. My last skates were Bauers and I always felt like my feet inside the skates were set funny. No matter what I tried they always felt like they were sitting part of the way on one side. Also, if I tied them tight enough to keep my foot from feeling like it moved a little, the arch pain was excruciating. With the wrap of the VHs, I don't really have to have them that tight at all and my foot feels like it is in the right spot and perfectly connected to the ice when I turn, etc. The fit alone improved my skating and turning.

The skates are very comfortable. In fact, just before they arrived I banged my ankle on something that took a good chunk of skin. I hadn't skated since it happened and it scabbed over, so when the skates arrived I figured I was in for some pain there. Nope. Didn't even notice it at all.

I have the clarino liner. It is what they recommended when I asked about the two different ones also. I have nothing to compare it to, but I like it. My feet probably sweat above average but I feel like the clarino does a good job.

As for accuracy of the measurements, I think close is good enough. I found it hard to get the drawing perfect. I did also send a number of pictures of both feet like they tell you to do. I also did a couple where my foot was on the tape measure lengthwise and width for extra information. Took some pictures with the tape measure next to my very high arches, etc. Like I said, the fit has been perfect.

I did the middleweight felt tongue. It gives a little extra padding to guard against the lacebite. It's been great. Very happy with it. I think the thick one would have been too much. Hope all of this helps.

• Like 1

I'd say very since that is how you're getting the measurements for length and width.

Sure, but I mean theres a lot of room for error in just simple things like at what angle you have your pen at when tracing, etc. At what point does the heat moldability start to compensate for some imperfect measuring? Within 1/8"? Obviously the more accurate the better.

Just use a thin writing instrument and avoid angling inwards or outwards excessively and should you be all set. It's easy to overthink the tracing.

• Like 1

Just use a thin writing instrument and avoid angling inwards or outwards excessively and should you be all set. It's easy to overthink the tracing.

Exactly. This..