Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Yes it is

Thanks. I was debating silver vs white and ended up choosing white just because I didn't have any idea what the silver would look like.

Got mine Friday, but unfortunately the heel pocket is too big. Baked skate twice but couldn't get the smaller fit I need. VH was very responsive and sent skates back to be remade. Praying next pair fit correctly.

Got mine Friday, but unfortunately the heel pocket is too big. Baked skate twice but couldn't get the smaller fit I need. VH was very responsive and sent skates back to be remade. Praying next pair fit correctly.

How did you do your tracings?

Wow, overnight shipping from Winnipeg is pretty amazing.

Bauer 4mm Vertexx cowling

4mm Step runners

Td9quJ0.jpg

Edited by OptimusReim

How did you do your tracings?

I used paint to do a foot print and a tracing more or less straight down from the widest part of the foot. I have very narrow heel. The foot print of the skate seemed good, but the volume of the heel pocket was too big.

I think it would be easier to get a good fit with a wider foot with more volume. My foot is bony and narrow, so I need the skate to go in more matching my foot indentations.

Wow, overnight shipping from Winnipeg is pretty amazing.

Bauer 4mm Vertexx cowling

4mm Step runners

Td9quJ0.jpg

They came out great, Im interested to hear how you think they fit compared to makos.

I used paint to do a foot print and a tracing more or less straight down from the widest part of the foot. I have very narrow heel. The foot print of the skate seemed good, but the volume of the heel pocket was too big.

I think it would be easier to get a good fit with a wider foot with more volume. My foot is bony and narrow, so I need the skate to go in more matching my foot indentations.

My foot is similar. Really need them to make them almost bit too small (volume wise) for best fit. Mine start to feel bit loose about mid way into a game. I get better fit with my MX3s due to being able to pull the boot closer to my foot via the laces.

• Like 1

They came out great, Im interested to hear how you think they fit compared to makos.

The wrap is incredible. To the point where I actually will have to follow their "adjustment" video in order to spot heat the area around 4-5 eyelets down and pull that area out a bit. The wrap is so good it actually hurts my foot to put the skate on and take it off in that spot.

The tongue is WAY more moldable than the Mako tongue, and the toe box is even more snug (if you can imagine that!).

They also made sure to work around the bump on the outside of my right big toe, and it worked beautifully.

The ONLY complaint I have is that it's almost like the insole is a bit too wide in the heel and its preventing my heel from getting all the way down. Kind of the same feeling when I try to wear Bauer Supreme skates. I took the yellow insoles out and put my foot in with just the red and the feeling went away, so I'm thinking its just the insole needing some trimming.

Planning on getting these things sharpened and on the ice during a public skate tomorrow, in time for my game tomorrow night.

I'm not going to try the Lundqvist loop right away, figuring I'll worry about the different fitting skates first and try that during a pickup where it doesn't matter as much.

Optimus, those look awesome.

Regarding the heel pocket on mxpowder's skates (and anyone else with the same issue), you can always try heating and clamping the heel area of the skate to make it a bit tighter - but VH will also be able to fix this. Instructions are on their heat fitting video on their site.

Do you happen to have the scanned versions of your "paint" tracings? I'd like to see how they turned out.

Optimus, those look awesome.

Regarding the heel pocket on mxpowder's skates (and anyone else with the same issue), you can always try heating and clamping the heel area of the skate to make it a bit tighter - but VH will also be able to fix this. Instructions are on their heat fitting video on their site.

Do you happen to have the scanned versions of your "paint" tracings? I'd like to see how they turned out.

Davetronz, I clamped the whole heel with 3 clamps trying to get the heel and tendon area smaller. Just would not get small enough, and made indentation into carbon fiber leading so hot spots around ankle. After using clamps, I'm not sure how it would work without leaving bumps where the clamps were used, that would be felt once cooled?

I'll have to edit my scans and post once I have a chance. I think the heel pocket area needs to be a bit snug or small in order to form around ankle. Especially if you have a small ankle like me. VH has been very responsive and I'm hoping the next set fit better.

I had the same very small heel/ankle and had to clamp mine originally. I have a slight indentation in those spots and you can visibly see how small my heels/ankles are.

Glad to hear they're fixing things up for you. Mine have held their shape and worked perfectly since clamping.

This is good. When doing more fittings (Had no issues yet) I will make sure to send a picture of the heel to hopefully enable the guys to make them Narrow enough were need be! Been crazy busy with fittings!!!

This is good. When doing more fittings (Had no issues yet) I will make sure to send a picture of the heel to hopefully enable the guys to make them Narrow enough were need be! Been crazy busy with fittings!!!

Indeed!

Hey guys,

Some of you may have read my thread about my pronating right skate. I've been thinking of going the custom route because I have Haglunds on the same skate and then adding shims to help the pronation.

Would you guys still recommend VH over Bauer Custom? If VH is two weeks, what usual production time is Bauer? I'm also putting the Sole Thin Sport footbeds in.

Thanks guys

EDIT: same stiffness as top of the line Bauer MX3? Does VH hold your foot last on file like Bauer does, so you can order future pairs?

EDIT: same stiffness as top of the line Bauer MX3? Does VH hold your foot last on file like Bauer does, so you can order future pairs?

Thanks man. Does anyone know Bauer production time or had experience with them vs VH as well? I'll shoot them an email for the tech questions

Bauer has been typically 4-6 weeks depending on the time of season, but I haven't worked with their customs in a while.

Yes, the stiffness is comparable to the top-line Supreme skate.

And yes, I believe your information is held on file, as well, all custom skates will have a number stamped on the inside to reference the build for future use.

But, I do recommend re-tracing and re-measuring your foot each time you order, just to verify past numbers and ensure nothing has changed.

• Like 2

I had inquired about retention of measurements and order info and was advised that VH does retain this for future orders. I agree with the post above that the tracings should be re done should any real length of time pass between orders.

Edited by Monty22

Need help: I like to tape (firmly, think Gonchar or Fedorov) my shin pads to my tendon guards...usually I can destroy skates fast...how will VH will hold up in this case? Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Need help: I like to tape (firmly, think Gonchar or Fedorov) my shin pads to my tendon guards...usually I can destroy skates fast...how will VH will hold up in this case? Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Not exactly your point, but Fedorov and Gonchar didn't really tape with anywhere near the same firmness, they're pretty much at opposite ends of extremely loose (Fedorov) and very secured (Gonchar).

If you really want to tape and use a boot like VH, I'd suggest you go with the Mako instead, since its tendon guard is replaceable just as it was on the MLX.

Edited by flip12

Not exactly your point, but Fedorov and Gonchar didn't really tape with anywhere near the same firmness, they're pretty much at opposite ends of extremely loose (Fedorov) and very secured (Gonchar).

If you really want to tape and use a boot like VH, I'd suggest you go with the Mako instead, since its tendon guard is replaceable just as it was on the MLX.

The new one-piece VH tendon guard is completely and easily replaceable as well. Anyone with a riveter and a spare tendon guard could do one within 2 minutes.

I've found the new tendon guards more durable, but I'd assume that you'd have tendon guard issues in ANY skate if you have them taped tightly and they're torquing with body movement.

• Like 1

The new one-piece VH tendon guard is completely and easily replaceable as well. Anyone with a riveter and a spare tendon guard could do one within 2 minutes.

I've found the new tendon guards more durable, but I'd assume that you'd have tendon guard issues in ANY skate if you have them taped tightly and they're torquing with body movement.

Good to note, I haven't seen the new boots in person yet so in that way it was unfair to say. Since the replacement isn't as much of an issue now, I'll just add that I like how the Mako/MLX tendon guard sits in the notched area at the back of the boot, so that it twists and pulls lower, closer to the ankle joint, if it is taped. That really comes down to personal preference then. On a scale of tight to loose tendon guard tape, I prefer loose.

Here's a few pictures of the new one-piece tendon guard.

Much easier to replace. New sewing, minimal glue, no removal of Vibram.

The tendon guard is held in place with a single copper rivet. Small piece of material covers the back of the copper.

new_tendon_01_zpstcdpgakr.jpg

new_tendon_03_zpsizi3prax.jpg