Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Oh, I read that wrong. Thought you were saying MLX website was back. LOL

Nothing wrong with your reading, I take the blame on that one, I wrote it very sloppily and ambiguously. I saw how I made it out to be when I reread it :facepalm:

I've been focused on art detail work all day, so my language brain has been all over the place.

It would not be needed for most as the ramp angle is set to be the most effective. That being said I do have one VH client that has them and really likes them!

I'm curious because I really liked the past-vert vamping on my Mission roller boots from 20-years ago and from looking at Cruikshank's prototype skate in the making of the Mako video, it appears the boot has roughly the same forward angle as 55-flex, and it looks a lot more aggressive than the standard VH-cut.

Edit: on looking at it with 55-flex in mind, it's more that the whole boot is tilted forward, the achilles area as well as the vamping, so it's not a perfect analogue.

Edited by flip12

My take on the 55 flex for VH skates is that because the top wraps so well, the 55 flex doesn't add a ton of forward flex. The plastic pieces (for me) almost touch together and I don't tie my skates that tight. I did see a video where they suggest moving the 55 flex down an eyelet so the top one is undone, which I may try.

I'm thinking the expansion into the junior market, and junior pricing for custom skates is a solid move for VH.

It really opens up options for younger players, or adult men and women with smaller feet looking for customs or a better fitting skate.

Compared to the top of the line non-custom skates from other brands, most people I've spoken with say it's almost a no-brainer to get the VH customs if they're already making the financial commitment to the top of the line, off-the-shelf boot.

I'm thinking the expansion into the junior market, and junior pricing for custom skates is a solid move for VH.

It really opens up options for younger players, or adult men and women with smaller feet looking for customs or a better fitting skate.

Compared to the top of the line non-custom skates from other brands, most people I've spoken with say it's almost a no-brainer to get the VH customs if they're already making the financial commitment to the top of the line, off-the-shelf boot.

VH is making a junior skate with a price point comparable to the top CCM and Bauer junior skates?

VH is making a junior skate with a price point comparable to the top CCM and Bauer junior skates?

VH JR Custom w Edge holder and LS3 steel $709 cdn

Bauer 1X JR Off-the-Shelf w Edge holder and LS4 steel ~$649 cdn

Bauer MX3 JR Off-the-Shelf w Edge holder and Fusion steel ~$599 cdn

CCM Jetspeed Off-the-Shelf ~$499 cdn

For a custom skate, I'd say the price isn't too much more than a 1X or MX3 - perhaps the Jetspeed is a bit different.

Depends what you're looking for...

VH JR Custom w Edge holder and LS3 steel $709 cdn

Bauer 1X JR Off-the-Shelf w Edge holder and LS4 steel ~$649 cdn

Bauer MX3 JR Off-the-Shelf w Edge holder and Fusion steel ~$599 cdn

CCM Jetspeed Off-the-Shelf ~$499 cdn

For a custom skate, I'd say the price isn't too much more than a 1X or MX3 - perhaps the Jetspeed is a bit different.

Depends what you're looking for...

I am offering an in-house rebate on old VH's when buying a new pair of VH's. (when purchased originally through the Toronto Fit Center's)It's a personal thing and has nothing to do with VH. However they applauded the idea as there is little wear on the smaller pairs. Of course for people that have large discrepancies in there feet it will be a little bit of an issue. Hopefully that wont be to many. So next spring I will have about 20 pairs of used VH JR skates for sale !!

I am offering an in-house rebate on old VH's when buying a new pair of VH's. (when purchased originally through the Toronto Fit Center's)It's a personal thing and has nothing to do with VH. However they applauded the idea as there is little wear on the smaller pairs. Of course for people that have large discrepancies in there feet it will be a little bit of an issue. Hopefully that wont be to many. So next spring I will have about 20 pairs of used VH JR skates for sale !!

One of my sons wants to move out of the Mako skate and is considering going back to Bauer Supreme which is a good fit for him other than the lack of pitch. Would the VH skate be a better option especially if we threw on a CXN holder to keep the pitch similar?

You can always install heel lifts like I did or profile the runners.

One of my sons wants to move out of the Mako skate and is considering going back to Bauer Supreme which is a good fit for him other than the lack of pitch. Would the VH skate be a better option especially if we threw on a CXN holder to keep the pitch similar?

Right! OrrSmith, don't chose the boot for pitch. Think of the pitch on the boot as it comes off the shelf as though it were a "suggested serving" like you see on a cereal box or something. You can eat it with those things if you like, but if you want to go a different direction, that's entirely possible. Essentially: pick the boot for what fits your son's feet best.

From what I think I remember you posting in other threads, he was ok with the Mako, but now the boots are too shallow for his feet. If he wants to go back to Supremes because he prefers the more traditional feeling of that kind of boot compared to the Mako, then go with those. If he actually prefers the feeling (and by "feeling" I mean the ride/skating-experience) of the Mako and just wishes they were deeper, then VH might be a more satisfactory solution. Since they're tailored rather than ready-to-wear, it's possible to have a similar feeling boot with the right volume.

It's really no problem to swap holders or install heel lifts, change the pitch of the steel, and so on.

It's really as simple as going to your LHS and having the runners profiled. That's what I do, and there is no tinkering with heel lifts. The only downside is you have to do this every time you get new steel

If he plays travel or goes through steel quickly heel lifts would be best though.

Funny you mention this, I was discussing this with one of my guys last night and we decided to do the same thing (like a consignment/rebate) for VH junior models where growth may be a major consideration.

When I switched from Mako to VH I had mine made with CXN holders. The pitch feels identical to the Mako (in my opinion). However, I did have to go to a shallower hollow due to the more responsive boot (Scott Van Horne says a lot of the Jets had to do the same).

Right! OrrSmith, don't chose the boot for pitch. Think of the pitch on the boot as it comes off the shelf as though it were a "suggested serving" like you see on a cereal box or something. You can eat it with those things if you like, but if you want to go a different direction, that's entirely possible. Essentially: pick the boot for what fits your son's feet best.

From what I think I remember you posting in other threads, he was ok with the Mako, but now the boots are too shallow for his feet. If he wants to go back to Supremes because he prefers the more traditional feeling of that kind of boot compared to the Mako, then go with those. If he actually prefers the feeling (and by "feeling" I mean the ride/skating-experience) of the Mako and just wishes they were deeper, then VH might be a more satisfactory solution. Since they're tailored rather than ready-to-wear, it's possible to have a similar feeling boot with the right volume.

It's really no problem to swap holders or install heel lifts, change the pitch of the steel, and so on.

For sure pick the right fit. My son had Supreme's for four seasons prior to the past two with Mako's and we had 1/8" shims under his Supreme skates but I found that they loosened a bit and it was like he pushed off and there was two movements in his stride. I was thinking of CXN holders on Supreme skates as an option because the shim's didn't seem to work great for him in the past or VH skates with CXN holders.

When I switched from Mako to VH I had mine made with CXN holders. The pitch feels identical to the Mako (in my opinion). However, I did have to go to a shallower hollow due to the more responsive boot (Scott Van Horne says a lot of the Jets had to do the same).

Thanks for the info. My son is finding that his Mako's aren't responsive enough on his first three strides so it is nice to hear that the VH skates are better in that area. Also nice to know that the CXN holders feel similar on the VH skates.

For sure pick the right fit. My son had Supreme's for four seasons prior to the past two with Mako's and we had 1/8" shims under his Supreme skates but I found that they loosened a bit and it was like he pushed off and there was two movements in his stride. I was thinking of CXN holders on Supreme skates as an option because the shim's didn't seem to work great for him in the past or VH skates with CXN holders.

Thanks for the info. My son is finding that his Mako's aren't responsive enough on his first three strides so it is nice to hear that the VH skates are better in that area. Also nice to know that the CXN holders feel similar on the VH skates.

Ah, I missed that part about the shims moving on his old Supremes. I'm pretty sure heel lifts don't need to move like that. Maybe a different place could install them. But, yeah, in that case, I can see why you want to find a holder with the pitch built in. Cobras are another option, but they're not as popular.

my son has had heal shims in his bauer vapors for several years. He's now on his second pair of VH skates. They build the shim right into the boot, no shim needed. He's been happy with the pitch, just like his bauers with shims.

Edited by lohnman

Ah, I missed that part about the shims moving on his old Supremes. I'm pretty sure heel lifts don't need to move like that. Maybe a different place could install them. But, yeah, in that case, I can see why you want to find a holder with the pitch built in. Cobras are another option, but they're not as popular.

Yeah, the shop who installed them likely used rivets that were too short, and with the added height of the shims, there wasn't enough to grab on, and the lifts/shims started moving. Typically, they don't move if installed properly.

• Like 2

Just received my new VH skates. Rob was a miracle worker once again and accommodated me immensely with regards to the qualms I had with my previous pair. I didn't think VH Skates could fit better, but here they are:

Specs:

- Junior Size Priced Skate, new toecap

- Enhanced Tendon Guard

- New Enhanced Tongue

- LS Edge Holder, LS3 Runners (Profiled to 11' +1 Forward Pitch)

- 1/8" Heel Lift built into skate

Modifications:

- Built off of a smaller last than my actual skate size. The wrap of my first pair of VH Skates were incredible, but completely hampered my forward flex no matter how much I heated and bent the top 3 eyelets outward. Rob suggested building the skate off a smaller foot last, thereby reducing the volume at the ankle and giving me more forward flex (I likened it to how Bauer built their boot ankles in that the wrap came from laces more than material), while maintaining that gorgeous wrap around the rest of my feet.

- The smaller last also slimmed up the areas around my midfoot and arch and felt much snugger and more wrapped, a lot like my old Mako skates.

- The enhanced tongue was chosen to compensate for the lacebite that could arise from my preferred ankle wrap, as well as giving me a "diving board" tongue that snaps back into place after I've flexed into it.

- I asked for no logo nor embroidery to give the skate a more minimalistic look.

These feel even better than my old pair. Rob was even kind enough to source light blue laces for me when I asked. It's the little things in life. ;)

2lt546e.jpg

• Like 3

They look pretty good (but not a fan of those baby blue laces!! LOL) Rob at VH is great - so is the entire team. Very accommodating and do a great job with customer service.