Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Just received my new VH skates. Rob was a miracle worker once again and accommodated me immensely with regards to the qualms I had with my previous pair. I didn't think VH Skates could fit better, but here they are:

Specs:

- Junior Size Priced Skate, new toecap

- Enhanced Tendon Guard

- New Enhanced Tongue

- LS Edge Holder, LS3 Runners (Profiled to 11' +1 Forward Pitch)

- 1/8" Heel Lift built into skate

Modifications:

- Built off of a smaller last than my actual skate size. The wrap of my first pair of VH Skates were incredible, but completely hampered my forward flex no matter how much I heated and bent the top 3 eyelets outward. Rob suggested building the skate off a smaller foot last, thereby reducing the volume at the ankle and giving me more forward flex (I likened it to how Bauer built their boot ankles in that the wrap came from laces more than material), while maintaining that gorgeous wrap around the rest of my feet.

- The smaller last also slimmed up the areas around my midfoot and arch and felt much snugger and more wrapped, a lot like my old Mako skates.

- The enhanced tongue was chosen to compensate for the lacebite that could arise from my preferred ankle wrap, as well as giving me a "diving board" tongue that snaps back into place after I've flexed into it.

- I asked for no logo nor embroidery to give the skate a more minimalistic look.

These feel even better than my old pair. Rob was even kind enough to source light blue laces for me when I asked. It's the little things in life. ;)

2lt546e.jpg

Just received my new VH skates. Rob was a miracle worker once again and accommodated me immensely with regards to the qualms I had with my previous pair. I didn't think VH Skates could fit better, but here they are:

Specs:

- Junior Size Priced Skate, new toecap

- Enhanced Tendon Guard

- New Enhanced Tongue

- LS Edge Holder, LS3 Runners (Profiled to 11' +1 Forward Pitch)

- 1/8" Heel Lift built into skate

Modifications:

- Built off of a smaller last than my actual skate size. The wrap of my first pair of VH Skates were incredible, but completely hampered my forward flex no matter how much I heated and bent the top 3 eyelets outward. Rob suggested building the skate off a smaller foot last, thereby reducing the volume at the ankle and giving me more forward flex (I likened it to how Bauer built their boot ankles in that the wrap came from laces more than material), while maintaining that gorgeous wrap around the rest of my feet.

- The smaller last also slimmed up the areas around my midfoot and arch and felt much snugger and more wrapped, a lot like my old Mako skates.

- The enhanced tongue was chosen to compensate for the lacebite that could arise from my preferred ankle wrap, as well as giving me a "diving board" tongue that snaps back into place after I've flexed into it.

- I asked for no logo nor embroidery to give the skate a more minimalistic look.

These feel even better than my old pair. Rob was even kind enough to source light blue laces for me when I asked. It's the little things in life. ;)

2lt546e.jpg

Rather than a built in heel lift, why not go with the CXN holder with Step v-steel? Not a criticism just a question.

Rather than a built in heel lift, why not go with the CXN holder with Step v-steel? Not a criticism just a question.

There was just something about the feel of CXNs I wasn't a big fan of. Plus I travel a lot and carry extra steel with me and the availability of Edge runners just made life easier.

• Like 1

There was just something about the feel of CXNs I wasn't a big fan of. Plus I travel a lot and carry extra steel with me and the availability of Edge runners just made life easier.

Any idea what it was you didn't like about the CXN?

Where are your heel lifts built in?

Any idea what it was you didn't like about the CXN?

I'm not entirely sure, but there was something off during my stride. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I swapped to LS Edge holders on both my Makos and Mako IIs.

Where are your heel lifts built in?

No idea. Rob just built them into the boot for me.

Try step steel, it's a bit taller. That may help.

I'm currently using Step Steel Black and it's not helping.

You could start with 4mm, as that's what Bauer, CCM, and Easton all selected for the new generation holders...

Thanks bud, I appreciate the help!
  • Like 1

There's that video where SVH talks about modifying Blake Wheeler's boot in that spot to accommodate his tight turning radius. Maybe the new toe cap design improves on that problem area? It seems to be right where the arrow portion of it extends over to the side of the boot.

I'm planning on ordering a new pair, so I'll ask Rob/Scott their recommendation.

I was planning on going back to retail, but when switching to Vapor 1Xs, they were just too shallow to accommodate my foot and gave me lace bite. Even though I'm a bit disappointed that I have to pay in USD, I think in the long run, it'll be worth it for the fit and comfort of the boot (since I'll be wearing them practically 7 days a week).

On another note, the Wiz going VH:

zUT6ft9.jpg

Edited by mc88

The red carbon fiber patch (tape or whatever it is?) is what makes the skate look good. I never liked the old material that VH was using for custom colors, but that red material looks awesome.

The red carbon fiber patch (tape or whatever it is?) is what makes the skate look good. I never liked the old material that VH was using for custom colors, but that red material looks awesome.

What red?

What is this coating?

I'm considering to take almost carbon look, less leather wrapping for my new pair though, also I'm worried about this area's friction with the ice.

Is this the same material as dip toe cap?

Looks like the hard plastic coating they use to protect the toe cap.

Alright! Put in an order, let's see if they'll be able to accommodate the design requests (mock ups I created in about a night):

• LS Edge 263mm Holders pre-installed (without the steel, I'll be installing my own)
  • Built-in 4mm shims??? -- I kept bottoming out on my current VH skates near the forefoot areas, please recommend a proper height adjustment or solution
  • VH Logo Blacked Out (Instep & Outstep logos) but keep "VH Footwear" text
  • Black Wick Liner
  • Nylon Plastic Toe Cap Overlay
  • Enhanced Sidewall Protection
  • One-Piece Polymer Tendon Guard
  • "VH" logo on back of Tendon Guard in a gold metallic -- similar to the silver metallic material you use for the VH logo along the instep/outstep of the boot, but in gold
  • Black felt tongue with Black Enhanced Metatarsal Guard with white "MC 88" embroidery
  • White-accented leather on front of Tongues -- White accents along the sides, with a black middle section
  • Rust-Resistant Eyelet Coating -- Preferably an all black coating. Here in California, we have very humid weather and my current VH skates didn't withstand the humidity and developed a lot of rust in a short amount of time.
  • White accented leather material down eyelet 3 and black leather material down eyelet 4 and around the back of the boot
  • Black on Black and White on White Stitching Thread

NNr5BhG.jpg

LUaQdDN.jpg

Edited by mc88
  • Like 1

You have great presentation skills.

But how do you think about the new plastic toe cap from view point of your current bottom-out problem? The new toe cap looks good but also thicker than normal carbon toe cap. Of course probably your 4mm up tuning will help the problem though.

You have great presentation skills.

But how do you think about the new plastic toe cap from view point of your current bottom-out problem? The new toe cap looks good but also thicker than normal carbon toe cap. Of course probably your 4mm up tuning will help the problem though.

That's exactly what I'm worried about and put a note on that request for them to make a recommendation or offer a solution. Also, I'm a bit worried that if they don't make the toebox wide enough, would I still be able to punch the area out with the new toebox covering (since it extends pretty far back)?