Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I got my VH skates with the new toe cap about a month ago with the stock tongues. The tongue keeps falling to the outside a bit no matter how I adjust the tongue. Also sometimes I get a bit of bite when I tighten the last two eyelets too much. I know I can keep the laces a bit looser, but I like them tight.

For those that have the enhanced metatarsal guard in the tongue, did you also get a thicker tongue? Should I get a wider tongue than stock to prevent the tongue from rolling to the outside?

Ref laserrobottime

I enquired about replacing my original tongue.

Edited by mxpowder

Ref laserrobottime

I enquired about replacing my original tongue.

If you have any degree of over-pronation with or without a certain shape to your foot (thicker on medial side, slimmer on lateral side), the tongue can torque to the outside like that.

If all else feels good on your tongue (maybe aside from the pressure you're having at the top of the boot), I'd suggest trying to tether or have a strap sewn into your original tongue that will help it stay centered (you can run your laces through it in a few places). Or, have someone double check your alignment if anyone in your area is capable of that.

You may also need a bit of a thicker tongue to accommodate your foot shape and skating style. In that case getting a new, thicker tongue is probably your best bet. Tough to say for sure without seeing it in person.

If you have any degree of over-pronation with or without a certain shape to your foot (thicker on medial side, slimmer on lateral side), the tongue can torque to the outside like that.

If all else feels good on your tongue (maybe aside from the pressure you're having at the top of the boot), I'd suggest trying to tether or have a strap sewn into your original tongue that will help it stay centered (you can run your laces through it in a few places). Or, have someone double check your alignment if anyone in your area is capable of that.

You may also need a bit of a thicker tongue to accommodate your foot shape and skating style. In that case getting a new, thicker tongue is probably your best bet. Tough to say for sure without seeing it in person.

Non VH skate, but similar question: my tongue shifts to the outside because my medial malleolus ("ankle bone") sits farther forward than my lateral malleolus and my tongue torques to sit between them.

I had some irritation between the edge of my tongue and my medial malleolus last season that only went away with not skating all summer.

Should I force my tongue to the centerline of the boot so the edge of the tongue completely laps my "ankle bone"?

It's also possible that a Maltese tongue for your VH may be a good option for you if its your foot shape/alignment pushing the tongue to one side.

What is a Maltese tongue?

What is a Maltese tongue?

A tongue that uses Maltese gel instead of felt. It's an option on VH skates. I was going to get it, but Rob recommended trying the stock tongue first so that's why I ended up not going with it. Most commonly used as replacement for foam in goalie masks and neck protectors, Maltese is often also used for other purposes: chest padding in goalie C/A, padding in goalie gloves and blockers, etc.

These aren't VH of course, but you get the idea:

tUYPMrn.jpg

It looks like foam, but its actually a frothed gel (so it doesn't compress over time like foam does, and has better impact properties). I have a Maltese mask kit sitting on my desk, just waiting for the end of the season to put it in.

If you're curious, here's their site: http://maltesesports.com/

Edited by OptimusReim

Does the metatarsal guard make the whole tongue thicker, or just a narrow area in the middle?

It doesn't make it thicker on the portion of tongue that touches your foot. Just a ~1/8" thick piece of material down the centre-middle of the upper half of the outside of the tongue. It's the area on the tongue that appears silver in some pictures (or raised black in some of my pictures) down to the area where the velcro starts. I can post a pic of it later tonight or tomorrow.

It will stiffen up the tongue as well as adding some protection.

Non VH skate, but similar question: my tongue shifts to the outside because my medial malleolus ("ankle bone") sits farther forward than my lateral malleolus and my tongue torques to sit between them.

I had some irritation between the edge of my tongue and my medial malleolus last season that only went away with not skating all summer.

Should I force my tongue to the centerline of the boot so the edge of the tongue completely laps my "ankle bone"?

It's definitely a consideration to look into. Typically that irritation is caused by the friction of the tongue moving and shifting when you're skating (or tongue breakdown from this reason). Preventing this will usually stop the friction and irritation. You could also look into a product like Stable26 or Ezeefit Booties to add some volume into the area where you have reduced volume. This may help prevent the tongue from wandering as much, or stop the area from becoming so irritated.

• Like 1

So after reading this for a while I've decided to order some skates I went with:

Old toe cap (didn't make my size in the new one)

New tendon guard

Silver down the side

Black wick liner as I'm on them 2 hours everyday pretty much

Tuuk edge

Ls4 steel profiled to a custom profile of 9/10

They should be here early next week so I'll have pictures for you guys

They should be here early next week so I'll have pictures for you guys

But, Haley may be an ambassador for women's/girl's hockey through Bauer. So it may not be a team thing or league thing, but rather a personal deal as an ambassador.

As of a few hours ago Wick is now with Warrior. I am thinking it did not sit well about the VH skates and having them dressed like Bauer's. And yes she was the only female Bauer athlete. butttttt no longer.

https://twitter.com/wick_22/status/640275620853710848

It's a shame about my eyelets rusting after just under a year. I used to be happy to pass my skates around to anyone who was interested in looking at them. Now because of the rusted eyelets, I'm a little less eager to do so. I still of course love the skates and will get another pair when these are used up, but I wish he would have used the same eyelets other skate manufacturers do (or do other skates eyelets rust too and I just have forgotten?)

Mine rusted within couple months. Hang my skates to dry inside and in dry climate. No issues with my MX3s, Makos, or u+ pros. Think Scott just needs to use a coated eyelet like other manufacturers and the problem is resolved.

I must admit the eyelet issue is one that has made me hold off on getting a pair so far. I sweat buckets when playing and have had many skates (ice and inline) fail on me because I destroy the eyelets. Paying significant $'s for a custom skate and having them fail on me after a couple of months is something I'm not prepared to do yet.

Yes, you can get eyelets replaced but there is the additional cost, time, hassle and if your LHS has purchased eyelets that aren't properly coated or are made from a poor material then you are in the same boat a couple of months later, been there and done that.....

Best eyelets that I have found (aside from the injected lacing version on my MX3's) are the ones Alkali use on their inline range, these are indestructible. I'd happily pay a few extra bucks to get a quality eyelet put in as opposed to what they use now.

It's a shame about my eyelets rusting after just under a year. I used to be happy to pass my skates around to anyone who was interested in looking at them. Now because of the rusted eyelets, I'm a little less eager to do so. I still of course love the skates and will get another pair when these are used up, but I wish he would have used the same eyelets other skate manufacturers do (or do other skates eyelets rust too and I just have forgotten?)

I've had my skates for a year and a half and no rust issues. skating 3-4 times a week

I had no rust until the summer this year. I always put my equipment on a drying tree with forced air but it is in my garage and the summers can get very humid in St. Louis. Especially this year.

Here is my take on rust on skates. Based on the skates I have sharpened, 6 players about weekly or more since 2008ish. 4 of them all got Mako 2's at the same time. One kid has had to have rivets replaced about 5 times now. His holders have rust pouring out of the towers as well. The others, no sign of rust at all.

I personally think every person has their own unique PH balance. Some peoples sweat is more corrosive than others. Now one other factor could be how you store them, 2 of the 3 others dry their gear in one of those turbo dryer bag things, no rust, less smell.

My 2 cents.

Couldn't agree more. Not only the PH balance but the amount you sweat I think is critical. For example 2 of us purchased some Mission Boss black inline skates at the same time, I killed the rivets in 2 months, his held out for 4 years and were still going strong. I sweat buckets, team mate hardly sweats at all. I wipe down and dry my skates (in a shock doctor bag with a blower) after every game to try and slow the process down but to no avail. Sweat eats away at eyelets and rivets and I've even had the magnesium chassis in my inlines start to delaminate because of sweat. But the equipment some manufacturers use is more resistant to sweat than others so it's not just one factor but a combination of personal circumstances and the quality of material / coating the manufacturer is using.

No rust, and I have acidic sweat -- can't keep lacquer on a trombone to save my life.

No kidding. I built myself a relic'd Stratocaster and I get to that point where I wonder if I should've just Rory Gallagher'd it at let my sweat do the relic job and saved me some effort.