Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

The logo is gone in all the recent pictures (pro and others). Is that how they come by default now or is everyone ordering them without the logo? I would miss not having the logo on my next pair. I'm not a fan of the big black space that looks like something is supposed to go there.

Makes sense for VH to do so, though. Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of Warrior guys in them this season, figuring they don't make a skate. I like the logo personally.

I like the logo. I can see why some don't though. I think they could sharpen the perception of their skates by trying to make the individual pieces overlap more seamlessly, but that's not as big of a deal for me as how the skate fits and functions. I just know not everyone thinks the same way.

I've always wondered for those people who purchased the VH skates have they made you a better skater than your previous skate? No difference or even worse? I know they are super comfy and they fit great but I just wanted to know if most people who bought them noticed a change for the better out there on the ice?

Edited by SpideyDiG

So for me, with my VH being goalie skates I'm not sure it made a difference in skating because I don't do much, but having skates that don't hurt the entire game is pretty nice.

As far as my player skates when I switched to makos (not VH obviously, but still) it definitely improved my skating. However again, this is more from not being in pain anymore than anything else. I imagine my experience would be similar in VH instead of Mako.

I've always wondered for those people who purchased the VH skates have they made you a better skater than your previous skate? No difference or even worse? I know they are super comfy and they fit great but I just wanted to know if most people who bought them noticed a change for the better out there on the ice?

I went from Bauers to Makos, which changed the way I skated completely - stancing, tempo, stride length, and by the time I got into my VHs I was definitely a much more "complete" skater. The VH had the fit and mobility of Makos with the protection and support of Bauers. I've definitely become a much better player being able to skate more freely as well as not really be afraid to block the shots and play my game.

Baked mine today and jesus, they were hard to get on! Felt awesome once on, but the shoehorn actually made it a pain to get the skate on. Was hard to get them off too. After cooling down for a few hours, I find it hard to get them on, but once my feet get in, they feel awesome. I'm going to have to heat up the area around eyelets 2, 3, 4 and 5 like the video suggested, so I can get them on properly.

Edited by BRUINS_FAN_74

Baked mine today and jesus, they were hard to get on! Felt awesome once on, but the shoehorn actually made it a pain to get the skate on. Was hard to get them off too. After cooling down for a few hours, I find it hard to get them on, but once my feet get in, they feel awesome. I'm going to have to heat up the area around eyelets 2, 3, 4 and 5 like the video suggested, so I can get them on properly.

Had to do the same, and still find them difficult to get on. I actually starting using a long 36" shoehorn when putting my skates on in the locker room. I look like an idiot but it makes them infinitely easier to put on.

I could probably heat them up a bit again and mold out the area that causes the issues getting them on, but with the shoehorn I haven't had much trouble

Had to do the same, and still find them difficult to get on. I actually starting using a long 36" shoehorn when putting my skates on in the locker room. I look like an idiot but it makes them infinitely easier to put on.

I could probably heat them up a bit again and mold out the area that causes the issues getting them on, but with the shoehorn I haven't had much trouble

Editing suggestion: wise ape, not idiot. If something is difficult, we use tools, and not only that (because other animals can do that too), but we use refined tools. If it's the best boot for your foot, and you have to use a shoe horn, so use a shoe horn. A few seconds of standing out of the crowd is worth an hour+ of being able to do your thing comfortably.

• Like 1

Haha I agree, and I guess I can't look too dumb since nobody has ever chirped me for it. But if they ever did I'd just give them the honest answer.. the skates fit so well that they're hard to get on without it :)

Besides, after the earlier issues about ripping that area of the liner I'd rather be safe than risk doing it again even if the glue HAS held up since I did it.

I don't care what anyone says, these skates are 100% worth any of the minor issues or annoyances we have with them.

I don't know how Scott puts his on so easy in the video. Tried putting my foot at an angle like he does, then twisting my foot, but still a struggle to put them on. Might be different once I tweak the eyelet area later today. I really hope it helps or it's going to rip my skin up in that area everytime I put them on.Feels odd (not in a bad way) having my toes on my left foot touch the end of the toecap, as they never do in retail as my right foot is bigger than my left.

For once my arches feel like they line-up properly in skates, also feels like I'll have good arch support even though the footbeds are pretty flimsy. I can tell, once I get the little issues dialed in, they are going to be awesome. Can't wait to get out on the ice with them, but won't get the chance until Friday...

Edited by BRUINS_FAN_74
  • Like 1

I believe Lemieux was in Graf at some point.

Bauer Nexus 7000 before VH.

Right on both counts. He was in Napor 7000s last year and Graf G9035's his draft year, while Claude was trying to run the ship.

I could never take Claude seriously in that role. I don't think he ever wore Graf as a player.

1297542876095_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

Brendan's got smooth wheels. Happy to see he's in VH, where they're better suited.

Hi, about to place an order to replace my beat-up Graf supra 735.

I think those would be a good replacement, in particualr to deal with my big foot/ankle bump (accessory navicular).

A few questions: (I'm 6'1 / 190, play center 2 or 3 times a week and skating speed is my primary "skill")

- What "options" should I consider, I don't think I need shot blockers and the like, definitely would like coated eyelets if that's not the deafult, and coper rivets if the strandard ones are still an issue (Had installed stainless steel hardware on my grafs).

- Is there a pitch builtin the boot ? My current graf skates with Cobra holder have an "agressive" forward pitch, I don't necessarely need that much, but I definitely like some picth compared to for example the neutral pitch I had on Bauer supremes in the past.

- What's the holder/steel that comes with the skates ? any picth on that and what's the "standard" radius, unless I can specify it. I prefer 11 or 10 to 9.

- I read somewhere that you need less hollow on those skates, is that really true, I mean can you really feel it ? I'm currently using 1/2 but I was already thinking of going shallower anyway (toward 3/8) as ice is often soft here and I like straightaway speed.

- My Grafs have a huge thick felt tongue, how is tne tongue on the VH's ? Now I'm a tobnue flopper and bend my knees a lot, my graf's tongues are flopped all the way over, are the VH tongues too stiff for that to happen ? I like my forward flex! On the other hand I have a tall arch and instep that tends to stick out (ie: tends to fail pencil test at the instep), so good protection there is definitely a big plus, cause a shot on the instep bone hurts like #$%!!

Did most of you buy directly from VH ? I see they have a dealer in the Vancouver, BC area, it's a 3hr drive from here(~Seattle) but it's not clear to me whether there would be much an advantage to head up there or not, other than delicious sushi and dim-sum of course.

Thanks

Hi, about to place an order to replace my beat-up Graf supra 735.

I think those would be a good replacement, in particualr to deal with my big foot/ankle bump (accessory navicular).

A few questions: (I'm 6'1 / 190, play center 2 or 3 times a week and skating speed is my primary "skill")

- What "options" should I consider, I don't think I need shot blockers and the like, definitely would like coated eyelets if that's not the deafult, and coper rivets if the strandard ones are still an issue (Had installed stainless steel hardware on my grafs).

- Is there a pitch builtin the boot ? My current graf skates with Cobra holder have an "agressive" forward pitch, I don't necessarely need that much, but I definitely like some picth compared to for example the neutral pitch I had on Bauer supremes in the past.

- What's the holder/steel that comes with the skates ? any picth on that and what's the "standard" radius, unless I can specify it. I prefer 11 or 10 to 9.

- I read somewhere that you need less hollow on those skates, is that really true, I mean can you really feel it ? I'm currently using 1/2 but I was already thinking of going shallower anyway (toward 3/8) as ice is often soft here and I like straightaway speed.

- My Grafs have a huge thick felt tongue, how is tne tongue on the VH's ? Now I'm a tobnue flopper and bend my knees a lot, my graf's tongues are flopped all the way over, are the VH tongues too stiff for that to happen ? I like my forward flex! On the other hand I have a tall arch and instep that tends to stick out (ie: tends to fail pencil test at the instep), so good protection there is definitely a big plus, cause a shot on the instep bone hurts like #$%!!

Did most of you buy directly from VH ? I see they have a dealer in the Vancouver, BC area, it's a 3hr drive from here(~Seattle) but it's not clear to me whether there would be much an advantage to head up there or not, other than delicious sushi and dim-sum of course.

Thanks

Hey bud. I'm in Vancouver. The dealer simply takes your measurements and orders them in through VH themselves, so I'd say cut out the middle-man and just order them in yourself. You can get the sushi (try Tojo's) and dimsum (try Sun Sui Wah on Main and 23rd Av.) some other time at your own leisure.

With regards to features, the coated eyelets are a good call, as are the new tendon guard as well as the new toe cap. The tongues are fairly thick though if you want some extra padding, the enhanced metatarsal guard works really well, and I've got that on mine. If the skate is built to your tracings and pictures you're not likely to have depth issues.

If you like the stancing on your Grafs, do inform Rob of that in your e-mail and they will install heel lifts if necessary. I was used to skating in Makos with a very aggressive pitch and got a 1/8 inch heel lift as well as a +2 forward pitch on my runners profiled in - and that's because I swapped over to the LS Edge holder for convenience. It is perfectly possible to get Graf holders and runners installed at request, so if the trigger-release of the default Edge holder isn't too enticing, simply request the holders you are used to.

Cheers.

Edited by syinx

@syinx I've been to that dim-sum place it's great, haven't tried Tojo's but will check it out next time I head up north, sadly Seattle's sushi is either lame or super pricey, dunno why but it is.

Couple questions:

- Tendon guard: Is the new one more or less flex ? I don't tape mine so it might not matter too much othr than backward skating support.

- Tongue : Does the metatarsal guard affect flexibility. I flop my tongue and foward flex a lot, I like good padding but not at the cost of flex.

- Holders : Rob said I can get them with Cobra holders, I might juts do that because I do like the longer radius and I'm oretty sure the grafs come profiled at 11'' IIRC, plus I would not need lifts to keep the pitch so that might be easier. Changing the steel on the Graf is not bad, juts one screw. That screw might be the only thing i find a bit annoying on the Graf holder, it tends to get lose sometimes, added a bit of silicon.

- Toe cap : you mentioned a new toe cap, what's changed there ?

Thanks

Hey bud. I'm in Vancouver. The dealer simply takes your measurements and orders them in through VH themselves, so I'd say cut out the middle-man and just order them in yourself. You can get the sushi (try Tojo's) and dimsum (try Sun Sui Wah on Main and 23rd Av.) some other time at your own leisure.

With regards to features, the coated eyelets are a good call, as are the new tendon guard as well as the new toe cap. The tongues are fairly thick though if you want some extra padding, the enhanced metatarsal guard works really well, and I've got that on mine. If the skate is built to your tracings and pictures you're not likely to have depth issues.

If you like the stancing on your Grafs, do inform Rob of that in your e-mail and they will install heel lifts if necessary. I was used to skating in Makos with a very aggressive pitch and got a 1/8 inch heel lift as well as a +2 forward pitch on my runners profiled in - and that's because I swapped over to the LS Edge holder for convenience. It is perfectly possible to get Graf holders and runners installed at request, so if the trigger-release of the default Edge holder isn't too enticing, simply request the holders you are used to.

Cheers.

Edited by tcolar

@tcolar

3/8 is not shallower.

From personal experience with vh I can say I've gone shallower. I've gone from the equivalent of 1/2 to 3/4 and shallower.

The cut I had prior to vh was too deep. I also use black steel so I think that plays in as well. But yes. With vh I've adjusted my hollow to a shallower cut.

Yeah sorry I meant to say 3/4.

@tcolar

3/8 is not shallower.

From personal experience with vh I can say I've gone shallower. I've gone from the equivalent of 1/2 to 3/4 and shallower.

The cut I had prior to vh was too deep. I also use black steel so I think that plays in as well. But yes. With vh I've adjusted my hollow to a shallower cut.

@syinx I've been to that dim-sum place it's great, haven't tried Tojo's but will check it out next time I head up north, sadly Seattle's sushi is either lame or super pricey, dunno why but it is.

Couple questions:

- Tendon guard: Is the new one more or less flex ? I don't tape mine so it might not matter too much othr than backward skating support.

- Tongue : Does the metatarsal guard affect flexibility. I flop my tongue and foward flex a lot, I like good padding but not at the cost of flex.

- Holders : Rob said I can get them with Cobra holders, I might juts do that because I do like the longer radius and I'm oretty sure the grafs come profiled at 11'' IIRC, plus I would not need lifts to keep the pitch so that might be easier. Changing the steel on the Graf is not bad, juts one screw. That screw might be the only thing i find a bit annoying on the Graf holder, it tends to get lose sometimes, added a bit of silicon.

Thanks

Tendon Guard: There's a little bit of give but only enough to increase your range of motion. It's not as flexible as the Mako

Tongue: It will stiffen up the tongue a little bit but it's not something someone of your weight and strength can't deal with. I'm 5' 8" and 145 and it's really not an issue. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way you're going to get flop out of the VH Skates/it's not recommended. It's counterproductive considering the purpose of the boot is a full-wrap.

Toe Cap: Increased durability - it's a hard impact plastic overlay that protects the monocoque carbon toe that was prone to spiderweb cracks beforehand.

• Like 1

TBH I've never tried tucking my tongue, probably it would not bother me unless it affects my forwad flex.

I definitely don't like the taping to the tandon guard thing though.

As long as you don't have extra long shin pads it shouldn't interfere with your forward flex atleast from what I've noticed mind you I've never flopped my tongue

FWIW I'm going to get fitted this week in vh in Toronto as I don't wanna risk messing up my own tracing and spending this kind of money but the place I'm going has demo skates there try before you buy. I don't know if the one in Vancouver has that as well but maybe worth the drive if you have any concerns so maybe give them a call and see

• Like 1

Couple questions:

Thanks

This is why the Fit Centers work so much better than just sizing them yourself. Of course you can do it that's totally up to an individual. However at the Fit Centers you can try on the skates and get an idea. I have both tongues so you can see and feel the difference.

Now being a 3 hr drive it may not be worth your while but then again having a feel for the expense of the skate is not a bad option. And as for the food well it goes without saying they have some tasty places around there.

As for the feel of the hollow and profile. 100% of the pro guys I worked with this summer had to reduce the profile and go a little less sharp as they really felt the boot dig in and really could feel the edges. I personally now skate on them and can not believe how comfy they are and I just use a stock Step Blade with a 90/75 and feels great and lasts.

On a side note it really helps Rob if you have tried on a skate to pick the right last to build your skate off of.

Make a weekend out of it and enjoy your new skates when you get them.

• Like 1

Thanks,

I might head up there but not sure I'll find the time between my games, my 2 kids games and practices and coaching O_0

I usuallly go once or twice each year to by most of our gear but might be tricky at this time.