Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Quick question:

For those of you in the US, did the skates all ship via USPS or was it Fedex/UPS (just wondering because USPS at my works sucks, they leave the packages in a "common" area).

Also did you get a notification email when it shipped ?

Thanks

Quick question:

For those of you in the US, did the skates all ship via USPS or was it Fedex/UPS (just wondering because USPS at my works sucks, they leave the packages in a "common" area).

Also did you get a notification email when it shipped ?

Thanks

My most recent pair shipped via Fedex. I received a shipping notice from Fedex and from VH. I Hope this helps.

This worked like a charm! Skated in them again today and finally got to see how great these skates really are! Was able to skate in them hardly laced up and using outside edges in them is so good! Tight turns, backwards crossovers, etc... feel amazing in these!! I still had slight pins and needles in my left pinky toe,but not enough to matter!

If you're getting numbness in the lower portion of your foot (ball of foot to your toes), then you'll probably need to do what I did:

You'll need a heat gun for this...

1. Remove the laces from the boot

2. On the low setting, heat up the in-step sidewall (out-step as well... if needed) between eyelets 1 to 4 (near the toebox) by continually moving the heat gun in small circles about 6 inches away from the boot

3. When the material becomes soft and malleable, roll the sidewall up and outward

4. While still warm, place your foot inside the boot, and tuck in the tongue

5. Look along the eyelets to see that tongue is flush and flat across the foot

6. If not, take off the boot, and continue to roll it up and out until desired (re-heat the sidewall if necessary)

7. If you're still getting pressure after rolling the walls outward, then remove the red insoles if you haven't already... OR... use a thinner insole

What the tongue should NOT look like (notice that you'll see the foot through the eyelets--the arrows in the diagrams below represent pressure when the laces are tied; yellow arrows represent excessive downward pressure since the tongue can't sit flat; green arrows represent pressure spread evenly across the flattened tongue):

BUfQIn2.jpg

What it should look like:

eg3dff9.jpg

I'm getting more and more excited about these skates, especially now finding out the shop that sharpens my skates is a VH fit center (jakes pro-shop in El Segundo, CA) I've been through the ringer with skates lately. Total Ones that I modified to fit better (increasing the size of the tongue and boot modification) to Mako II's that had great wrap but I didn't feel super secure laterally and had tons of numbness due to most likely over-tightening, so I got rid of those and I'm in Bauer x100's which I mostly like but I'm constantly re-tying them on the bench. I generally skate 3-4 days a week but am still pretty afraid of taking the plunge on these guys. It seems like they are stiff enough laterally, like they will fit my thin ankles, and it seems like most of the quality issues have been handled. I've definitely read this thread from start to finish, How are the guys with the newer design feeling?

Seems that may have been short-lived. Giordano and Kulikov both Bauer reverts.

Wideman and Ryan Garbutt back in Vapors as well. Colin Wilson in Makos.

Wilson's the only one I know of who went from VH to Mako, and not the other way around. Kulikov had Makos for a minute too. It'll be interesting if Bauer comes out with a direct competitor to the VH/Mako in a few years or so. I can't really decide if I see that happening or not.

My shooting has been off for some reason since I've been wearing these

Skate Pitch? Skate Height? Feel of skate bothering you?

For me, I found that the biggest difference I felt from my previous VHs to these was the shim height. Since I had 1/16th shims built into my boot, my stick sat differently, so I needed to bend my knees more. In addition to that, since I'm no longer using custom insoles (which lifted my heel and put my weight toward my toes), I noticed my acceleration was slower, albeit I was much more stable on my heels. Every once in awhile, I'd catch my outside heel edge when trying to stop on my left side. However, since using these insoles, I haven't had that problem!

Try to give it some more time (took me about three 1½ hour skates to get comfortable). If it doesn't feel/get better, start adjusting: Switch from a ROH->FBV (I just switched from a 5/8ths ROH to a 90/75 FBV, love it), Runner radius (I use a combination radius 8'/12'), runner pitch (I use a slightly forward pitch), hotspots, stick height, and/or stick lie.

Edited by mc88

Wonder if it has anything to do with possible endorsement issues? (Any of the players getting money from the former skate company? Hence switching back?)

Wideman had an endorsement deal with Graf. After that, I don't think he had one with Bauer. Kulikov seemed like he was in the works on one with Easton at one point. He had Easton cuff rolls on Covert gloves and wore Makos instead of VH, but that didn't last long. This is from New Year's Eve, 2014:

460941104_slide.jpg

So this is probably more directed at people who use shoe horns or have knowledge of them.

When I'm putting on my skate with a shoe horn, do I still need to rotate the skate to the side and then slide my foot in, like shown in this video:

Or does the shoe horn eliminate the need to do so?

I only used the shoehorn during heat-molding to protect the thick foam in the lining at the heel which is susceptible to permanent deformation when it's hot. I've never needed the shoehorn to get them on during normal use. I admit that the area around eyelets 3 and 4 rubs the top of my foot very hard when I put the skate on, but it's not enough to cause any kind of damage to the foot unless I put them on and remove them 10 times in a row.

I had to heat that area to get my feet in, it was tearing my skin up.I as well had to heat and lift the eyelet cuff near the toecap so the tongue would sit flat and stop the bad numbness I was getting.

Edited by BRUINS_FAN_74
  • Like 1