Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

If the holder and boots were too stiff, to contour the edges around toe area more rounder.

If the holder had different pitch and you felt it not comfortable, to put shims between boots and holder.

• Like 1

Hey guys

I know that it is stupid question, but sorry one more time -)))

I'm between easton cxn holder and ccm sb4.0 for my new pair of VH

I was fine with both of these last 2 years (cxn on makos and vhs, and sb on ccm tacks)

I like "soft" feeling of cxn, but at the same time I like edge hold of sb, and I believe that SB holder exactly lighter than cxn...

I'm affraid of the stiffness of sb holder + stiffness vh carbon boot will bring too much stiffness for me

As well, I'm not sure that geometrical parameters of cxn and sb are the same, I feel that cxn has a little bit aggressive stance..

Thanks in advance!

I have the CXN on my VHs and the pitch feels the same to me as my Mako's did (which is what I was going for). However, in addition to what laserrobottime suggested, since you are concerned that the CXN might be too much forward pitch and since some of the pitch in the CXN comes from the holder and some from the blade and since it has been said here that the Step CXN runner does not have the forward pitch in it that the stock CXN runner has, using the Step runners should back you off from the overall +3 of the stock CXN to APPROXIMATELY +2.

When I buy my next pair of VHs, if the future of the CXN holder is in question or if the CXN steel becomes hard to find, I'll probably just go with Bauer holders with a heel shim or +3 profiled steel.

• Like 1

Think I have to change the laces out as the ones that come with skates seem to come loose very quick.

I've had better luck with these unwaxed laces (not sure if this will benefit you, but after skating in VHs for awhile, I found that what best works for me when tying them up is to go relatively loose from eyelets 1-4, then tighten up eyelets 5-9 and lastly finish off with a double loop):

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EWIDE

EWIDE-BW-1.jpg

• Like 1

I've used their wax laces before, but will give the unwaxed a try. I have to have the top eyelet left a bit loose or else the skate rips my leg up.

I've had better luck with these unwaxed laces (not sure if this will benefit you, but after skating in VHs for awhile, I found that what best works for me when tying them up is to go relatively loose from eyelets 1-4, then tighten up eyelets 5-9 and lastly finish off with a double loop):

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EWIDE

EWIDE-BW-1.jpg

I use those same laces in my Makos. For my VH I use what I USED to use in my Makos, the Sport Mate unwaxed gorilla laces. But I don't need laces with a lot of grip in my VH since there's so much wrap I barely have to tighten them anyway.

My laces have been going loose and sloppy within 10 to 15, even with the great wrap, the skate feels too sloppy once this happens. I had to lift the eyelet cuff a bit, like mc88 suggested, as the tongues weren't sitting flush and I was getting brutal numbness in my toes and the balls of my feet.

Haven't posted in a long time. MSH was really helpful when I got my one95's nearly 7 years ago but it's finally time to replace them. Read through all these posts and just submitted my tracings to VH. I'll update on the process!

Skated a college series this weekend in my VHs, and am noticing a pronounced pain above my left kneecap. It's a nagging, dull ache that goes away when I apply pressure to the quadriceps tendon. This is the same pain that made me stop using them for awhile last season, too.

It sucks, because I get amazing performance out of these skates and my feet feel great, but I can hardly bend my leg without dosing up on ibuprofen immediately the next day.

Skated a college series this weekend in my VHs, and am noticing a pronounced pain above my left kneecap. It's a nagging, dull ache that goes away when I apply pressure to the quadriceps tendon. This is the same pain that made me stop using them for awhile last season, too.

It sucks, because I get amazing performance out of these skates and my feet feel great, but I can hardly bend my leg without dosing up on ibuprofen immediately the next day.

Maybe see a physical therapist? That might be overkill, but what if you're bending your knees more or something when wearing the VH and that's what's causing the strain? Maybe some exercises for building up knee strength could help. You could check to see if your skating is different with a friend catching video of you in your VH vs your other skates. That's just a guess, but I had similar knee soreness when I was starting out in cross-country in high school. Our coach always checked new runners for strain there and had us do some really light weight reps on the leg curling machine. We weren't supposed to do a full curl, only from legs extended fully straight, down a few degrees (10-15 max.) and then back up to extended. I did that a few times and the soreness went away and never came back.

Put my custom SIDAS insoles into my VH skates tonight (along with the red insole). Much better. Still a little sore, but I'm guessing that's just because it wasn't fully healed up from last week yet. Nowhere near the pain I had after last week. I'm now confident that the yellow insole was the issue.

I looked on MSH and found a 63 page thread on VH Footwear. Admittedly, I didn't read it all, but did read the first few pages and then again the last (newer posts).

I've recently heard about VH Footwear and started doing some research and I am highly contemplating getting a custom made pair very soon. I've read reviews and watched some videos. I am coming to MSH to see if I can get any real world, unbiased reviews from those that have skated with them or currently skating on them. Also, I believe they will put on the LS2 or Edge holders and steel. Which do you recommend and why?

Any other info/opinions you want to provide would be greatly appreciated before I make my final decision and pull the trigger on $900 skates.

I am coming off Graf G35 with an 8'/12' radius with a FBV 9/16" cut from No Icing Sports. I play in 2 different mens leagues at this point of my life, as a 40 year old.

Thanks guys

I looked on MSH and found a 63 page thread on VH Footwear. Admittedly, I didn't read it all, but did read the first few pages and then again the last (newer posts).

I've recently heard about VH Footwear and started doing some research and I am highly contemplating getting a custom made pair very soon. I've read reviews and watched some videos. I am coming to MSH to see if I can get any real world, unbiased reviews from those that have skated with them or currently skating on them. Also, I believe they will put on the LS2 or Edge holders and steel. Which do you recommend and why?

Any other info/opinions you want to provide would be greatly appreciated before I make my final decision and pull the trigger on $900 skates.

I am coming off Graf G35 with an 8'/12' radius with a FBV 9/16" cut from No Icing Sports. I play in 2 different mens leagues at this point of my life, as a 40 year old.

Thanks guys

Moved to aforementioned thread, that is what this thread is for. It is loaded with info to answer all of your questions. Take your time and read it through.

I can definitely attest to the comfort of these, I've been on them 3 times and no pain in any of my previous areas in other skates. I have noticed some performance increases with these but still to new to really give info. I would recommend going with the LS2 holder and the Step Steel for that reason of getting Step Steel quality, also the edge holder didn't have any relevance for me as I've never broken steel and I live close to my sharpener.

I didn't include any upgrades such as the added shot blocker or upgraded tongue to the boot when I ordered mine based on info given to me by the person that did my tracings, so far I'm glad I didn't as the boot is right up there in construction with any top of the line retail skate. That brings me to another point, if your somewhat hesitant about spending that kind of money on something you've never seen before you can check VHs website for a fit center near you and go check the skate out first and have your tracings done there if that's another area your unsure about. But definitely read through this thread and take it for what is worth, a lot of great info!!

• Like 1

I can definitely attest to the comfort of these, I've been on them 3 times and no pain in any of my previous areas in other skates. I have noticed some performance increases with these but still to new to really give info. I would recommend going with the LS2 holder and the Step Steel for that reason of getting Step Steel quality, also the edge holder didn't have any relevance for me as I've never broken steel and I live close to my sharpener.

I didn't include any upgrades such as the added shot blocker or upgraded tongue to the boot when I ordered mine based on info given to me by the person that did my tracings, so far I'm glad I didn't as the boot is right up there in construction with any top of the line retail skate. That brings me to another point, if your somewhat hesitant about spending that kind of money on something you've never seen before you can check VHs website for a fit center near you and go check the skate out first and have your tracings done there if that's another area your unsure about. But definitely read through this thread and take it for what is worth, a lot of great info!!

Thanks Nicker and Greyskull. I really do appreciate the feedback.

Unfortunately in the NY area there are no fit centers. I am ok with doing the tracings myself, especially after reading the detailed instructions from MC88 post and the videos and instructions on the VH site. I was going to see if I can get a 3D photo of my feet from a physical therapists office by my house that does 3D Custom Printed insoles for a company called Sols. I don't know if that's something VH would accept, but I figured it's worth an ask.

Have you tried playing with the pitch of your steel? That may solve your issues.

Did you rebake the skates or was it fine just chucking them in?

Put my custom SIDAS insoles into my VH skates tonight (along with the red insole). Much better. Still a little sore, but I'm guessing that's just because it wasn't fully healed up from last week yet. Nowhere near the pain I had after last week. I'm now confident that the yellow insole was the issue.

• Like 1

I want to post my experience transitioning form my older VH skates from 2013 to the new version that I received a month ago. My original pair fit my feet perfectly right after the first bake. I baked them put them on and skated a few hours later with no issues at all. The only thing that I did to adjust the fit was get a set of Graf Sidas insoles. The truth is that my original pair still have some life left in them but I wanted to get a new pair and keep the other pair as a backup. This way I am never without skates if something needs to be fixed or whatever.

I ordered my new skates on 09.24.2015. Standard black skates with the new toe cap,new tendon guard and tan clarino liner. No additional options. Luckily for me one of my feet fit under the threshold for junior size skates and they only charged me $600 for the new pair. I wasn't expecting that and didn't even ask for that pricing but the invoice was made out for junior size skates so I didn't argue.The new pair came on 10.08.2015. I did the same routine as before. Baked them and used them a few hours later. I had a new set of Graf Sidas insoles made for the new skates as well. The skates were made from the exact same measurements as the first pair. They fit perfectly after baking. Or so I thought. On the ice my feet went numb right away and there was pain in the ball of my right foot. These skates seemed to have much less volume than my original pair. I tried loosening the laces and while this worked for the pain and numbness the boots felt too sloppy and loose for me. I tried to use mc88's method of using a heat gun to adjust the lower eyelets so the tongue would sit more flat but this did not work for me. Same issues as before. Another issue I was having was that I could not get proper knee bend. It seemed as if the boot was cut higher than before and the top of the boot was farther up my ankle. I tried not lacing the top eyelet and this did help some but I was still having the other issues still. I emailed Rob and explained the situation I was having and suggested that the new thicker tongue may be the culprit. He agreed and said he would send out a new set of the thinner tongues at no cost.

The thinner tongues arrived about a week later and I re-did the baking process. What a difference. I skated that night and had no more numbness or pain. The only issue I had now was that the tongues seemed to be a bit too thin as my skates loosened up as I was skating. My next time out on the ice I added the red insole along with my Graf Sidas and that issue was gone as well. The skates feel exactly as my first pair did. Perfect!!

The new pair of skates definitely seem built more solid than the original. Its hard to explain but they just have more of a solid feel to them. They do weigh a bit more as well. I think it was about 90 grams or so more per skate. Generally the finish of the new skates seem to be better than my original pair. The stitching seems better and there is no excess glue anywhere.

Happy to answer any questions about the difference between the newer and older version.

• Like 1

Update after a month (~6 games and 10 coaching sessions)

Positives:

• Performance : Best I ever had, fantastic energy transfer, I have a better acceleration in those, better edges as well.
  • Protection : I have taken a few hard shot to the ankle and toe cap, and I was impressed on how well it dissipated the impact, especially on the ankle.
  • Fit : I had to bake them a second time but they fit both my (odd) feet perfectly.
  • Boot quality : Other than a small cut on the toecap, no wear at all so far.
  • Liner : The clarino liner is great and dries very fast, much better than the Graf foam & felt stuff I had.

Negatives:

• Rivets : Already lost one ! Those black "rivets" don't look sturdy much. Guess I'll replace them over time with stainless steel T-nuts and hex screw as I had done on my Grafs.
  • Tongue protection : Took a slapshot to the instep Sunday and my foot is still swollen, the much thicker Graf tongue was better here. Maybe I should have went for the re-inforced tongue ....
  • Comfort : They are good but I'm not to sure I would say that they feel like a sock, they fit like a sock, but as far as comfort I think my Grafs where more comfy, but I'll take the much better performance over a bit more comfort.

Overall I do love them other than the rivet thing.

vh_rivets.jpg

Edited by tcolar

Update after a month (~6 games and 10 coaching sessions)

Positives:

• Performance : Best I ever had, fantastic energy transfer, I have a better acceleration in those, better edges as well.
  • Protection : I have taken a few hard shot to the ankle and toe cap, and I was impressed on how well it dissipated the impact, especially on the ankle.
  • Fit : I had to bake them a second time but they fit both my (odd) feet perfectly.
  • Boot quality : Other than a small cut on the toecap, no wear at all so far.
  • Liner : The clarino liner is great and dries very fast, much better than the Graf foam & felt stuff I had.

Negatives:

• Rivets : Already lost one ! Those black "rivets" don't look sturdy much. Guess I'll replace them over time with stainless steel T-nuts and hex screw as I had done on my Grafs.
  • Tongue protection : Took a slapshot to the instep Sunday and my foot is still swollen, the much thicker Graf tongue was better here. Maybe I should have went for the re-inforced tongue ....
  • Comfort : They are good but I'm not to sure I would say that they feel like a sock, they fit like a sock, but as far as comfort I think my Grafs where more comfy, but I'll take the much better performance over a bit more comfort.

Overall I do love them other than the rivet thing.

vh_rivets.jpg

After around a year I noticed a couple of rivets loosening at the toe. I had the rivets on the 4 corners of the front tower replaced by copper ones. I've just started a 3rd hockey season with them and I haven't had any more rivet problems. Since you already have copper rivets at the back of the front tower. you could have the 2 at the toe replaced. I would have it done before they get loose, because once they are loose it puts more strain on the adjacent rivets, loosening them too.

Yeah I had skates with all copper in the past, and never lost one. I have heard all copper might not be good because it's maybe not stiff enough ? But it worked great for me.

The stainless steel hardware(Ace) I had put on my Grafs worked great as well, never rusted or got lost.

FYI: I had asked VH about all copper rivets and they where OK with doing it, but I figured it was probably not needed.

I want to post my experience transitioning form my older VH skates from 2013 to the new version that I received a month ago. My original pair fit my feet perfectly right after the first bake. I baked them put them on and skated a few hours later with no issues at all. The only thing that I did to adjust the fit was get a set of Graf Sidas insoles. The truth is that my original pair still have some life left in them but I wanted to get a new pair and keep the other pair as a backup. This way I am never without skates if something needs to be fixed or whatever.

I ordered my new skates on 09.24.2015. Standard black skates with the new toe cap,new tendon guard and tan clarino liner. No additional options. Luckily for me one of my feet fit under the threshold for junior size skates and they only charged me $600 for the new pair. I wasn't expecting that and didn't even ask for that pricing but the invoice was made out for junior size skates so I didn't argue.The new pair came on 10.08.2015. I did the same routine as before. Baked them and used them a few hours later. I had a new set of Graf Sidas insoles made for the new skates as well. The skates were made from the exact same measurements as the first pair. They fit perfectly after baking. Or so I thought. On the ice my feet went numb right away and there was pain in the ball of my right foot. These skates seemed to have much less volume than my original pair. I tried loosening the laces and while this worked for the pain and numbness the boots felt too sloppy and loose for me. I tried to use mc88's method of using a heat gun to adjust the lower eyelets so the tongue would sit more flat but this did not work for me. Same issues as before. Another issue I was having was that I could not get proper knee bend. It seemed as if the boot was cut higher than before and the top of the boot was farther up my ankle. I tried not lacing the top eyelet and this did help some but I was still having the other issues still. I emailed Rob and explained the situation I was having and suggested that the new thicker tongue may be the culprit. He agreed and said he would send out a new set of the thinner tongues at no cost.

The thinner tongues arrived about a week later and I re-did the baking process. What a difference. I skated that night and had no more numbness or pain. The only issue I had now was that the tongues seemed to be a bit too thin as my skates loosened up as I was skating. My next time out on the ice I added the red insole along with my Graf Sidas and that issue was gone as well. The skates feel exactly as my first pair did. Perfect!!

The new pair of skates definitely seem built more solid than the original. Its hard to explain but they just have more of a solid feel to them. They do weigh a bit more as well. I think it was about 90 grams or so more per skate. Generally the finish of the new skates seem to be better than my original pair. The stitching seems better and there is no excess glue anywhere.

Happy to answer any questions about the difference between the newer and older version.

Do you have a pic of the new tongue? I've had a bit of the same issue but found moving the tongue up higher helped by creating more space in the toe cap and I didn't tie them as tight and it helped but created a little to much play in the boot. I'm gonna try them a little tighter but if the problem continues I'm thinking about emailing them about a new tongue and very interested in this thiner one.