Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Yeah I had skates with all copper in the past, and never lost one. I have heard all copper might not be good because it's maybe not stiff enough ? But it worked great for me.

The stainless steel hardware(Ace) I had put on my Grafs worked great as well, never rusted or got lost.

FYI: I had asked VH about all copper rivets and they where OK with doing it, but I figured it was probably not needed.

I wouldn't put all copper rivets. It's better to have a combination of both types of rivets. This is the combination that is working well for me.

VHrivets.jpg

• Like 1

Last years durability:

- Tongue degradation within 6 months

- Rusted eyelets within 8 months

- Rusted rivets within 8 months, replaced after a year and a quarter, but they didn't hold if I took a puck to the holder

- Boot integrity (upper ankle support) soft after a year and a quarter

I've only had my new VHs for a couple months and so far:

- Tiny bit of rust on the rivet spread-ends (my fault for not removing my footbeds when I was placing them on my boot dryer)

- Tongue in tact without any fraying/major creases

- Stiffness in tact (asked them to make the upper ankle stiffer)

- Eyelets rust free (asked them to use a rust resistant coating--I will note that the coating has rubbed off from the interior eyelet from lace friction, but I think the boot dryer drys them well enough to keep them from rusting)

On a side note, I just wanted to add that I've since moved over to bare foot skating and have absolutely no numbness/toe compression issues. As others have mentioned, the tongue seems a bit too thick and too wide near the toe box area, so I may switch to a maltese tongue because felt starts to cause discomfort after skating bare foot for awhile.

Edited by mc88

Did you rebake the skates or was it fine just chucking them in?

I left the red insoles in, so I didn't change the volume much/at all with the SIDAS so I didn't rebake. If I hadn't left the red insoles in, I'd have rebaked because my foot/ankles would have not been in the same place anymore. I just didn't like how loose the skate felt without the red insole.

My VH goalie skates came from VH with all copper rivets. I didn't request that, they just sent them that way. I'm fine with it either way... doesn't matter to me. I also don't have to make the super hard turns a forward makes.

Luckily for me one of my feet fit under the threshold for junior size skates and they only charged me $600 for the new pair. I wasn't expecting that and didn't even ask for that pricing but the invoice was made out for junior size skates so I didn't argue.

What would that treshold be? If you don't mind me asking, what is the length of your feet?

Last years durability:

- Tongue degradation within 6 months

- Rusted eyelets within 8 months

- Rusted rivets within 8 months, replaced after a year and a quarter, but they didn't hold if I took a puck to the holder

- Boot integrity (upper ankle support) soft after a year and a quarter

I've only had my new VHs for a couple months and so far:

- Tiny bit of rust on the rivet spread-ends (my fault for not removing my footbeds when I was placing them on my boot dryer)

- Tongue in tact without any fraying/major creases

- Stiffness in tact (asked them to make the upper ankle stiffer)

- Eyelets rust free (asked them to use a rust resistant coating--I will note that the coating has rubbed off from the interior eyelet from lace friction, but I think the boot dryer drys them well enough to keep them from rusting)

On a side note, I just wanted to add that I've since moved over to bare foot skating and have absolutely no numbness/toe compression issues. As others have mentioned, the tongue seems a bit too thick and too wide near the toe box area, so I may switch to a maltese tongue because felt starts to cause discomfort after skating bare foot for awhile.

Based on your rusting rivets and eyelets I would guess that a lot of those issues are related to the PH of your sweat- sounds like it is more acidic than most. Skating barefoot will not help matters with your new pair if that is the case.

Update after a month (~6 games and 10 coaching sessions)

• Tongue protection : Took a slapshot to the instep Sunday and my foot is still swollen, the much thicker Graf tongue was better here.

Which VH tongue are you using? Is it the standard looking one with felt beyond the edge of the leather middle?

The thinner tongues arrived about a week later and I re-did the baking process. What a difference. I skated that night and had no more numbness or pain. The only issue I had now was that the tongues seemed to be a bit too thin as my skates loosened up as I was skating. My next time out on the ice I added the red insole along with my Graf Sidas and that issue was gone as well. The skates feel exactly as my first pair did. Perfect!!

For the thinner tongues, are they the slim ones seen in this video?

What would that treshold be? If you don't mind me asking, what is the length of your feet?

252mm is the threshold for junior sizes. Below a US 7 or Euro 39. I wear an 8 in one95's and measured 271 right and 267 left. Usually a 9.5/10 in shoes.

Which VH tongue are you using? Is it the standard looking one with felt beyond the edge of the leather middle?

For the thinner tongues, are they the slim ones seen in this video?

Yes. The tongues I received are like the original tongues shown in the video.

• Like 1

The threshold was 252mm. My left foot measured 252mm and my right foot was 260mm.

Do you have a pic of the new tongue? I've had a bit of the same issue but found moving the tongue up higher helped by creating more space in the toe cap and I didn't tie them as tight and it helped but created a little to much play in the boot. I'm gonna try them a little tighter but if the problem continues I'm thinking about emailing them about a new tongue and very interested in this thiner one.

See the tongues in this video.

That is what I received from VH.

• Like 1

Nah I'm going to try no icing sports' sharpen by mail program for a month or two and see if that works out!

I've been using no icing sports for my radius and sharpening for about 5+ years. Bob is a great guy and they provide a great service.

Has anyone had experience with the Maltese tongue option?

I had originally requested it but Rob told me I'd REALLY already know if I needed it (as in, requesting it for a specific reason). He suggested I just stick to the stock tongue.

I had originally requested it but Rob told me I'd REALLY already know if I needed it (as in, requesting it for a specific reason). He suggested I just stick to the stock tongue.

I have a really high instep which is why I'm looking at VH customs. The tendons which run across the top of my feet are very tender and sensitive (even after extended periods of not skating at all) because I've been using retail skates which are much too shallow for such a long time.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the benefit of the Maltese tongue is to relieve the pressure across the top to your foot, which should elevate the issue with the tendons in my feet.

Edited by malcb33

252mm is the threshold for junior sizes. Below a US 7 or Euro 39. I wear an 8 in one95's and measured 271 right and 267 left. Usually a 9.5/10 in shoes.

The threshold was 252mm. My left foot measured 252mm and my right foot was 260mm.

Thank you. damn, so close, my feet are 255 and 257mm, guess no savings for me :sad:

Does anyone have a picture which was taken undersole of the new plastic toe cap like this?

13790464885_97afa7b80d_z.jpg

I want to make sure it before I will purchase for my new pair.

I've been feeling not good at the gap of leather and boot's outsole. So I'm thinking that if the new toe cap will make similar condition for holders, I don't want to choose it or make a measure for it.

Edited by Mimizk