Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

The gap is fine on mine and the holder sits flush

Does anyone have a picture which was taken undersole of the new plastic toe cap like this?

13790464885_97afa7b80d_z.jpg

I want to make sure it before I will purchase for my new pair.

I've been feeling not good at the gap of leather and boot's outsole. So I'm thinking that if the new toe cap will make similar condition for holders, I don't want to choose it or make a measure for it.

my son is 11 and is currently in apx2. pretty stiff boot.

Thinking of getting these for him. I like what I am seeing here.

one foot is a half size bigger than other, so the custom sizing will help

any other suggestions?

any other suggestions?

Sounds good. Get your traces done and send them in! :)

My feet are the same and getting VH has been the best choice I've ever made with skates! I don't see myself using any other skate from now on!

any other suggestions?

Does anyone have a picture which was taken undersole of the new plastic toe cap like this?

13790464885_97afa7b80d_z.jpg

I want to make sure it before I will purchase for my new pair.

I've been feeling not good at the gap of leather and boot's outsole. So I'm thinking that if the new toe cap will make similar condition for holders, I don't want to choose it or make a measure for it.

My holder sits flush:

pG3lzKF.jpg

Not sure if this is just for my pair, but I'm getting some liner tearing on both skates and in the same spot:

QV6UxyV.jpg

Edited by mc88

MC88, didn't you just get them? Maybe have a cobbler sew a wear patch on that area. Kinda like what Bauer has on the top line models.

Yeah, for about two-three months.

I was thinking the same thing, unfortunately, nobody around here will touch skates. Seems like they may be going back to Canada... but not now, I need them.

My holder sits flush:

pG3lzKF.jpg

Not sure if this is just for my pair, but I'm getting some liner tearing on both skates and in the same spot:

QV6UxyV.jpg

Thank you mc88!

Are the hinder 2 rivets which can't be seen in this photo sit on the same level as these 6 rivets? I'm thinking good if the toe cap cover enough surface for all of 8 rivets of the front.

This is another story though, how was the thickness of the new plastic toe cap's side wall for your skating? Did you feel any inconvenient against normal toe cap?

Then about your torn liner,

But we often see similar conditions on other traditional boots, don't you? I thought this is not rare. And also perhaps it's hard if we want to solve this problem.

Edited by Mimizk

Are the hinder 2 rivets which can't be seen in this photo sit on the same level as these 6 rivets? I'm thinking good if the toe cap cover enough surface for all of 8 rivets of the front.

This is another story though, how was the thickness of the new plastic toe cap's side wall for your skating? Did you feel any inconvenient against normal toe cap?

Love the new toe cap! Definitely more durable than my original uncoated toe cap:

s3T3Sw7.jpg

Then about your torn liner,

But we often see similar conditions on other traditional boots, don't you? I thought this is not rare. And also perhaps it's hard if we want to solve this problem.

Didn't happen on my old VHs. My guess is this newer wick liner is not nearly as durable as the old (or at the very least this fuzzy overlay material isn't as durable). Edited by mc88

s3T3Sw7.jpg

JBHFTlY.jpg

This is my fear...

Didn't happen on my old VHs. My guess is this newer wick liner is not nearly as durable as the old (or at the very least this fuzzy overlay material isn't as durable).

For example, the surface of goalie's shin pads are made by leather. If it was coated by a kind of cloth as this, not leather...? Or probably you know why bike riders are wearing leather jackets.

Leather is strong material for friction. So maybe it is a fact that tan clarino is better than the new black wick liner at this problem.

Edited by Mimizk

Instep sits flat, outstep is a bit warped (I've never noticed nor felt it):

Instep

VFJJMQ3.jpg

Outstep

UKqLeSq.jpg

This is how mine sit. Even know everything is fine, I think with my next pair I could go down a size with the holders.

http://imgur.com/yC669FB.jpg

http://imgur.com/7zA8PTu.jpg

Thank you guys for giving these great photos!

From a viewpoint to prevent scratch of the side wall with the ice, I was very interested in the new plastic toe cap. But also I've been feeling not good about similar gap of my VH's old style toe cap, so I wanted to make sure. Especially I've been using medial side shims to slide runner position artificially, so the condition of under sole is important for me than other members.

Unfortunately, I've known that the new toe cap will make not good condition for me. I will decide final ordering after talking with Scott or Rob though, my mind is leaning into choosing the old style toe cap with plasti-dip coating which covering the same area of the new plastic toe cap. And no leather, no enamel cover (usually showing VH's logo).

Edited by Mimizk

MC88, In speaking with Rob this week regarding the order of my new VH skates, I was debating between the Clarino and wick liner and when I asked him which was more durable, here was his response (and my apologies if you knew this already)

"the tan clarino is a more durable line. If you are skating bare foot, normally guys will go with the black sweat wicking liner. If you are a really heavy sweater, I would say go with the black liner. If you don't sweat excessively, than I would go with the tan liner."

QV6UxyV.jpg

any other suggestions?

One thing I might caution on... My son is 14 and just started wearing the same size as me (9.5 in Makos). For kicks I had him try to put my VHs on. He was unable to get past the indentation in the side that the skates have. These things are not easy to put on and unless you have a pretty determined kid, you might have a hard time getting him to persevere long enough to learn how to get them on.

Edited by AfftonDad
  • Like 1

My holder sits flush:

pG3lzKF.jpg

QV6UxyV.jpg

I have the same issue on my set of APX skates. I believe my shin guards have been the culprit with my rubbing. I don't see any wear on the tongues, but the shin guards have a little abuse on the rounded edges. If you have longer shins that you wear outside your tongues, especially a model that is a bit wide, this could be your issue as well. Take a peak at the shins for proof.

Hey guys just wanted to mention I played last night after my foot/toe finally fully healed. Can confirm 100% that the issue was the insole bunching up into the toe box.

I don't get that. Wouldn't you be able to figure out at practice whether or not you like them?

I think I get it. Practice can be intense, but it's also always so known. Games are less so (maybe that's not really the case as much for a veteran like Steen, but that's beyond my ability/experience to imagine), and that degree of uncertainty requires more cognitive resources which makes the demand for the utmost automatic response/reaction all the more intense. If your equipment doesn't do what you expect it to do, it could much more readily show up in a game situation than in a practice or even a number of practices. I think quite a few guys are just so used to a Bauer-like boot that they are more relaxed and automatic performing in it, even if it might be less comfortable, less responsive, etc.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 1