Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I have a set of the thick felt Enhanced metatarsal guard tongue and a set of the thick felt regular tongue. I honestly like the regular tongue way more and only use them.

I wonder how will it be that flexibility of the ankle.

So if lace-bite issue would be solved by custom thickness and special wave cutting shape of eyelet fin, perhaps I will not use metatarsal guard.

I found the meta tongues horrible for flexion

In my case (many years of lacebite pain) having the correct depth of boot is the main thing to prevent lacebite. Adding protection is only masking the real issue and isn't really a fix in the custom world

How is it going with your eyelet extensions? I keep thinking about that strange solution they ended up with for your boots.

The eyelets are OK, but I think I will ask for them to be re-done as I originally requested. It took a while to get them just right (currently using the inside 2 hole and top outside hole) but I'm concerned with the longevity of this setup as the laces push the extension inwards which puts extra pressure on that part which I could see creasing fairly quickly. They also don't perform exactly the way I wanted either.

I've been using thicker double felt tongue on my current VH skates. The thicker tongue was suggested from Scott when I told him my swelling instep issue. My instep have little swelling and usually it makes boot's eyelet fin open like not buttoned shirt.

5hSj6uM.jpg?1yifgIE2.jpg?1

The extent of my instep swelling and lace bite pain is not so serious, but I want to solve if it can.

Then, as malcb33 said, the most primal fact which cause lace bite is lack of boot's volume against one's foot. Changing thickness of tongue definitely have an effect on solution for the issue. But also not primal. So I ordered with another option as cut the eyelet fin wavy to little inside to make straight line when lace up.

The eyelets are OK, but I think I will ask for them to be re-done as I originally requested. It took a while to get them just right (currently using the inside 2 hole and top outside hole) but I'm concerned with the longevity of this setup as the laces push the extension inwards which puts extra pressure on that part which I could see creasing fairly quickly. They also don't perform exactly the way I wanted either.

Cool, good to hear. I was just thinking last night of how I wish my MLX were slightly lower cut and it reminded me of your new boots. I can't get great forward flex while also lacing the top eyelet, and the top of the boot digs into my right leg a bit, enough to potentially get an abrasion and a bump eventually. I wish the top two eyelets were merged, so there'd be one less overall. I also wish the merged eyelet were a tiny bit forward of the eyelet below. I love the extra little space between the top eyelet and the second eyelet on Graf. It gives good stability with great range of motion. I can try to whip up a photoshop version of what I mean.

Edit: I mean, good to hear it's working out ok for you, even with the sad fact that it finished in an awkward way.

Edited by flip12

Cool, good to hear. I was just thinking last night of how I wish my MLX were slightly lower cut and it reminded me of your new boots. I can't get great forward flex while also lacing the top eyelet, and the top of the boot digs into my right leg a bit, enough to potentially get an abrasion and a bump eventually. I wish the top two eyelets were merged, so there'd be one less overall. I also wish the merged eyelet were a tiny bit forward of the eyelet below. I love the extra little space between the top eyelet and the second eyelet on Graf. It gives good stability with great range of motion. I can try to whip up a photoshop version of what I mean.

Edit: I mean, good to hear it's working out ok for you, even with the sad fact that it finished in an awkward way.

Hey, you may be interested in the flex 55 [ http://www.55flex.com/tablet/innovation.html] I have not tried them myself but they do pretty much what you're asking for. Might be worth a shot.

Hey, you may be interested in the flex 55 [ http://www.55flex.com/tablet/innovation.html] I have not tried them myself but they do pretty much what you're asking for. Might be worth a shot.

I've thought about 55-flex, and am definitely intrigued. It just sounds like the company has potentially folded from what I've read of people on here trying to get support, replacements, or even just place new orders and never hearing anything back from 55-Flex.

I've thought about 55-flex, and am definitely intrigued. It just sounds like the company has potentially folded from what I've read of people on here trying to get support, replacements, or even just place new orders and never hearing anything back from 55-Flex.

Well that doesn't sound good, probably not worth it then.

I haven't looked into it. I think getting it over here would be a pain anyway, due to extra shipping and potentially customs cost, which is usually our 25% VAT on both the retail price of the item and the shipping. If I really want it, it might be just as beneficial to try and make one the way I want it. I have a friend who makes handcraft quality leather wallets, so I could get solid help on figuring out a sturdy solution if necessary.

Edit: forgot I came back here to post another VH pro sighting: Dmitry Megalinsky, who used to be a Graf guy of course. I don't really like the white chunks. Looks like a clunky 50's two-tone shoe. I guess I think it could look good if they inverted the chromed logo and swoosing rectangles piece at the top of the boot, kind of like Graf's black print on white leather instead of embossed gold or silver on black leather.

1194563_3.jpg

Edited by flip12

I've been using thicker double felt tongue on my current VH skates. The thicker tongue was suggested from Scott when I told him my swelling instep issue. My instep have little swelling and usually it makes boot's eyelet fin open like not buttoned shirt.

So I ordered with another option as cut the eyelet fin wavy to little inside to make straight line when lace up.

I have the exact same issue (or had as it's solved now). Mine was so bad the tendons on the top of my foot are extremely inflamed even after extended periods of not skating at all.

IMO having a felt tongue with a half plastic insert (up to 3-4 eyelet from top, so not to interfere with flex) and a Maltese gel insert in the inside for comfort would be the ultimate set-up.

I can't get great forward flex while also lacing the top eyelet, and the top of the boot digs into my right leg a bit, enough to potentially get an abrasion and a bump eventually. I wish the top two eyelets were merged, so there'd be one less overall. I also wish the merged eyelet were a tiny bit forward of the eyelet below. I love the extra little space between the top eyelet and the second eyelet on Graf. It gives good stability with great range of motion. I can try to whip up a photoshop version of what I mean.

I think a home made 55flex system would really help you here. I would make out of a stiff leather and make the eyelets extend half as far as the 55flex system. Would be amazing on MLX IMO. I loved those skates except the issue you have and the depth for me.

Pretty sure they're out of business now. The 55flex idea is good, however the product was average at best (wrong plastic, to brittle) they were to expensive for what they are and their CS wasn't great either.

All in all, make your own!

• Like 1

I haven't looked into it. I think getting it over here would be a pain anyway, due to extra shipping and potentially customs cost, which is usually our 25% VAT on both the retail price of the item and the shipping. If I really want it, it might be just as beneficial to try and make one the way I want it. I have a friend who makes handcraft quality leather wallets, so I could get solid help on figuring out a sturdy solution if necessary.

Edit: forgot I came back here to post another VH pro sighting: Dmitry Megalinsky, who used to be a Graf guy of course. I don't really like the white chunks. Looks like a clunky 50's two-tone shoe. I guess I think it could look good if they inverted the chromed logo and swoosing rectangles piece at the top of the boot, kind of like Graf's black print on white leather instead of embossed gold or silver on black leather.

1194563_3.jpg

I love the xxx vapor gloves!!!!!!

• Like 1

I think a home made 55flex system would really help you here. I would make out of a stiff leather and make the eyelets extend half as far as the 55flex system. Would be amazing on MLX IMO. I loved those skates except the issue you have and the depth for me.

I was thinking exactly the same--the 55 Flex eyelets looked a bit far forward to my intuition.

Depth in the MLX is hard for me to guage, because I'm in an 11 and I really should have gotten a 10. That's the drawback of buying online and only going off of a single length measurement fit chart. I was squarely in their range for an 11, but I'm swimming in the boots in the whole forefoot. Replacing the stock MLX tongue with a 703 tongue helped, but I'm toying with the idea of just bailing again and going back to some Graf 604's that just might fit perfect after reestablishing what size I should have...so much tinkering at the moment.

I made my own to solve a lace bite issue, which it does, and for this reason alone they are worth more than gold to me. Subsequently I've made a bunch more for team mates and had a number of MSH members make them up, it's easy enough:-

4mm thick leather offcuts from a leather shop or manufacturer of leather items (or buy a leather belt and cut it up)

5mm - 7mm eyelets (also known as grommets) from online or a marine shop or a outdoor shop or home depot etc. Make sure you get brass or stainless steel or whatever, as long as they will not rust

Either buy a hole punch or visit your local shoe repair shop to get the holes punched

Waterproof the leather, add the eyelets using a hammer and punch (or a press if you are lucky enough to have one of these)

Secure them to your boot using either old laces (the simplest way) or t-nuts / graf nut/screw etc or screws into the eyelets. You may think of another way. I prefer using laces as it gives a little more flexibilty and stretch to the extension than hard securing them in.

Mine are coming up to 4 months of hard use and are still as good as the day I made them. PM me if you want a basic design outline and lacing pattern I use. Once you fit them you will keep using them, lace bite cure and forward flex extension and a custom eyelet pattern to how you want it.

• Like 1

I made my own to solve a lace bite issue, which it does, and for this reason alone they are worth more than gold to me. Subsequently I've made a bunch more for team mates and had a number of MSH members make them up, it's easy enough:-

Mine are coming up to 4 months of hard use and are still as good as the day I made them. PM me if you want a basic design outline and lacing pattern I use. Once you fit them you will keep using them, lace bite cure and forward flex extension and a custom eyelet pattern to how you want it.

Thanks for the recipe :)

This is what I've been mulling over in my mind (original VH boot on the left, and a slightly lower cut version with the top two eyelets averaged and slightly more forward on the right):

vh_adaptation_Small.png

Now that I can see it, maybe it's a bit too high, by a couple of millimeters or so.

Is it much different from the top edge on the MLX? I have that issue with rubbing if I mold them close to the leg. If I skip the top eyelet instead, it feels sloppier. That's where having the right size would help though.

Quite different. MLX doesn't have a comfort edge, VH has one built in (kinda) but not the same as Bauer. The VH on is flexible around the top of the cuff so it doesn't dig in like other skates without a true comfort edge.

If the top of the boot is softer than the MLX, then everything might just be perfect, maybe with the help of Vet88's recipe for homemade eyelet extenders. I can't wait to check out some VH in person then. I'll be in Toronto at the end of April, so I'll try to make it over the Zuperior shop in the MasterCard center. I think I'm confused about what the comfort edge is now, because I thought MLX had them. I thought it was just when the top edge of the boot had a cushioned wrap over the layered stack, that when finished normally reveals the sandwiched pieces like plywood.

Edit: After looking again, I was wrong, there isn't really a comfort edge on MLX like there is on VH.

Edited by flip12

I guess when I think of a "comfort edge" I think of the Bauer version, but like anything everyone has their own take on it.

If I remember correctly the MLX version is pretty thin and didn't do a whole lot for me. The VH version is thicker and softer than the MLX one but still not a good as the Bauer one IMO.

• Like 1

You're right, MLX doesn't have a comfort edge. I should have looked again at my skates before posting. I think I had so many VH images in my head that I confused the two. Good to have that detail drawn to my attention!

Long time graf user Carey Price has switched to VH. No pics but in all the video of his skating in a tracksuit in Montreal shows this.

Long time graf user Carey Price has switched to VH. No pics but in all the video of his skating in a tracksuit in Montreal shows this.

He's been wearing them for quite some time, in Graf cowlings.