Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Are VH as moldable as Makos or is their draw the fact that they are essentially the shape of your foot before you even put them on?

Many of you switch from Makos?

More moldable, though I'd agree that the selling point is that they're shaped to your foot (and then the heat moulding makes them wrap around your foot.. Almost TOO well, actually)

I just received my skates today and already have to send them back. I spoke extensively with Rob before I even ordered just to make sure I could get what I was asking for. We finally had everything ready to go and I put my requests in the notes section of the order, even got a confirmation email from him stating that all comments had been noted.

Get the skates and right off the bat 3 things are missing/wrong

Ordered Black Wick and got Clarino liner

Asked for double stitching throughout the boot - non existent

Reinforcing of the eyelets to prevent tearing out - nope

Anyone else have issues like this from them? From reading this they seemed like they weren't the best at communication, but I went back and forth with Rob numerous times and even got acknowledgment that my requests were noted, only to have multiple issues.

On top of that, perhaps its just me, but without baking the skates I attempted to slide them on just to see if there were any major fit issues that could also be addressed upon sending them back, but I couldn't even get my foot halfway in, and I completely removed the tongue after struggling beforehand. Were anyone else's skates almost impossible to put on without first baking them? I'm really concerned with all of these issues, especially on an item that costs over $900. Thanks.

I just received my skates today and already have to send them back. I spoke extensively with Rob before I even ordered just to make sure I could get what I was asking for. We finally had everything ready to go and I put my requests in the notes section of the order, even got a confirmation email from him stating that all comments had been noted.

Anyone else have issues like this from them? From reading this they seemed like they weren't the best at communication, but I went back and forth with Rob numerous times and even got acknowledgment that my requests were noted, only to have multiple issues.

On top of that, perhaps its just me, but without baking the skates I attempted to slide them on just to see if there were any major fit issues that could also be addressed upon sending them back, but I couldn't even get my foot halfway in, and I completely removed the tongue after struggling beforehand. Were anyone else's skates almost impossible to put on without first baking them? I'm really concerned with all of these issues, especially on an item that costs over $900. Thanks.

I didnt have any issues with mine, but yes it was impossible for me to get the boot on prior to baking. This shouldn't be surprising to you, they're meant to be heat molded.

I also had "attention to detail" issues. Though getting the boot on is VERY common and you just have to reheat a few eyelets and open them up a bit after heat molding.

Attention to detail, durability issues, inability to resolve a requests/issues. For a company that small, making such a unique product, I expected top shelf results. Loving my Easton Mako's right now though!!

I also had "attention to detail" issues. Though getting the boot on is VERY common and you just have to reheat a few eyelets and open them up a bit after heat molding.

Im assuming you sent them back and they're now resolved? Was it pretty painless/easy to get everything redone? Did they come back correct? Its right on the order form for the black wick I cant possibly understand how that was missed and I had written confirmation the other requests were noted. If I had a fit issue and needed to resend them in, I get it. But to have everything right on the order form and still mess it up is concerning.

I'm obviously no beginner to buying and baking skates, I just found it very odd that I cant get my foot in the boot, let alone half my foot, without baking it first. Baking shouldn't and isnt the end all be all of the fit. But I guess its just how VH are.

And like Sputnik20 said, for a company so small trying to gain marketshare and momentum in a very specific industry mess ups like this dont bode well for them. Ive already waited 3 weeks for them just to have to send them right back to start all over. Were you given any sort of discount/compensation? As this rests totally on them, I feel something should be done in my favor, or maybe that's just the California in me...

Edited by lahockeyplayer

My beef with VH, aside from what I mentioned above, was that I ordered my skates in March/April 2015, by May/June they announced the new improved tendon guard and toe cover, and by July/August they announced lower price for Junior size skates.

It would have been so very nice of them to take a moment of their time to mention their (near) future planned improvements and suggest for me to wait to place the order until these new "updates" were implemented. At the end, I had to spend another $100 shipping them back, only to not have my issues (stitching around the toe box, and boot length) not resolved.

I posted before, their communication isn't the best. I have a missing back to an eyelet (arrived like that) and they gave me the wrong tongues. But They did send me the correct tongues and spare eyelet backings, but no one over here has the correct die.. skates are brilliant regardless and won't wear anything else.

• Like 1

I am a little biased here however I have to say that I have had zero issues with over 60 pairs ordered. I had one pair the kid grew out of before we got them Dad's fault for not paying for 3 weeks and it was September so it was a 4 week wait at the time.

1. Couldn't get foot in: It says right on the paper in the box and on the website do not try and put the skate on without heating? So wondering why you would try it?

2. Liner color: Yah gotta say thats not to good but personally only ordered one pair of skates with wick the rest clarino all have lasted with no wear at all so far. So personally like the clarino better.

3. Double Stitching: The boot is all carbon fiber where would they double stitch? There isnt one NHL player with double stitching cant see a reason for it except looks?

4. There could have been extra carbon fiber in the lacing section you wouldnt be able to see it although it would have made the lacing area even stiffer so realllly hard to get skate on then.

I really have to say that in my opinion that for a skate company to have as little issues as I have seen on here compared to the other companies stock and pro models that some seem to be looking to knock them down. (VH that is). All top end skates from every other company are 900 bucks so that issue is not even a discussion. And for quality compared to most hands down a better skate.

However some statements are very true.

Design: Yes I think there could be some improvement on the look of the skate for sure.

Fit and Finish: Has there been a couple pairs I thought could have looked a little better...yup... but the skate is what it is and I have seen faults and issues on pro return skates that were new and stock top of the line skates with blade issues and alignment problems so there not alone.

All in all i firmly believe they are the best made skate around right now by a mile and will only get better.

I posted before, their communication isn't the best. I have a missing back to an eyelet (arrived like that) and they gave me the wrong tongues. But They did send me the correct tongues and spare eyelet backings, but no one over here has the correct die.. skates are brilliant regardless and won't wear anything else.

If your in Sydney you can get them done at Skaters Network they have the piece for sure saw it there last year at the Classic games when fixing one of the player skates. Also have one in Melbourne at the old Ice House.

• Like 1

I haven't had the pleasure of ordering or even seeing 60 pairs. Seeing the condition of my skates after 6 months of light c-league action I must say I was hugely disappointed. My retail 20K's which I have had since their release date are in much much (I'll add another one for exclamation) much better shape.

I would hate to see what an NHLer's VH skates look like after a week. At this stage of their existence, I will give their design a 4, and durability a 3.

I haven't had the pleasure of ordering or even seeing 60 pairs. Seeing the condition of my skates after 6 months of light c-league action I must say I was hugely disappointed. My retail 20K's which I have had since their release date are in much much (I'll add another one for exclamation) much better shape.

I would hate to see what an NHLer's VH skates look like after a week. At this stage of their existence, I will give their design a 4, and durability a 3.

I have lots of pics of guys skates with almost zero issues except daily use. Almost all the skates I have fitted come back to me for sharpening and I have one Minor Midget kid that is ranked in the top 5 for the OHL draft for skating and his look just fine. Natalie Spooner from Team Canada has the old ones and hers are still in amazing shape and can be seen here ( http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2016-cwhl-all-star-game-what-you-need-to-know/ ) and has played a tone of international hockey club hockey and training. i made her buy a new pair because i can see were they are a little soft but she wont change to her new ones. And while that has been my experience I am not saying for a second yours are not in good shape.

I'm toying with going down the VH Road and was wondering if anyone has heard of any negative feedback or stories?

All I seem to hear is 100% great feedback which is pretty rare in the world of equiptment.

Also, any idea if the team at VH would still be able to make this version of the boot without the new plastic caps on the front.

At the end of this video when they're doing the free skate shoot is my (Ideal Skate).

I've hemmed and hawed due to the fit idea and coming with TUUKs but this thread has kept me from jumping in. I think now that the Mako IIs wll be marking down it won't be so painful to pop the TUUKs on.

I'm toying with going down the VH Road and was wondering if anyone has heard of any negative feedback or stories?

All I seem to hear is 100% great feedback which is pretty rare in the world of equiptment.

Also, any idea if the team at VH would still be able to make this version of the boot without the new plastic caps on the front.

At the end of this video when they're doing the free skate shoot is my (Ideal Skate).

They will do both, the new toe and the old, but I would highly recommend going with the new plastic caps, as that is the bulk of my issues with the skates. The exposed leather and stitching around the toe is what has worn through completely on both skates, on both sides. The new toe cover eliminates that wear spot.

I am a little biased here however I have to say that I have had zero issues with over 60 pairs ordered. I had one pair the kid grew out of before we got them Dad's fault for not paying for 3 weeks and it was September so it was a 4 week wait at the time.

1. Couldn't get foot in: It says right on the paper in the box and on the website do not try and put the skate on without heating? So wondering why you would try it?

2. Liner color: Yah gotta say thats not to good but personally only ordered one pair of skates with wick the rest clarino all have lasted with no wear at all so far. So personally like the clarino better.

3. Double Stitching: The boot is all carbon fiber where would they double stitch? There isnt one NHL player with double stitching cant see a reason for it except looks?

4. There could have been extra carbon fiber in the lacing section you wouldnt be able to see it although it would have made the lacing area even stiffer so realllly hard to get skate on then.

I really have to say that in my opinion that for a skate company to have as little issues as I have seen on here compared to the other companies stock and pro models that some seem to be looking to knock them down. (VH that is). All top end skates from every other company are 900 bucks so that issue is not even a discussion. And for quality compared to most hands down a better skate.

However some statements are very true.

Design: Yes I think there could be some improvement on the look of the skate for sure.

Fit and Finish: Has there been a couple pairs I thought could have looked a little better...yup... but the skate is what it is and I have seen faults and issues on pro return skates that were new and stock top of the line skates with blade issues and alignment problems so there not alone.

All in all i firmly believe they are the best made skate around right now by a mile and will only get better.

If your in Sydney you can get them done at Skaters Network they have the piece for sure saw it there last year at the Classic games when fixing one of the player skates. Also have one in Melbourne at the old Ice House.

Icehouse were no help when I asked a while back,maybe it was just who I spoke to.

Despite some gripes some of us have, I wouldn't let it stop anyone from buying a pair. Simply the best fitting pair of skates I've had, and I've had lots! Performance is brilliant as well, So easy to use outside edges in these skates! When the time eventually comes to get new skates, I will for sure be getting another custom pair of VH.

Sad Days...

My tongues have worn down, and I'm getting the early onset of lace-bite, and a I took a shot of the foot and my holder has cracked (blame Tuuks!)

:sad:

Edited by greyskull

A short update:

My skates have held up great overall (much better than the previous version). The only signs of wear I'm having is what I've shown earlier in this thread:

QV6UxyV.jpg

I've narrowed it down to the tongue sliding over to the outside ankle during skating. If I were to order another pair of tongues, I'd ask for some tabs to be sewn on to the front to prevent sliding around. Otherwise, I'm extremely happy with my skates and I'm still skating barefoot (something I've never been able to do until now)!

Edited by mc88

Icehouse were no help when I asked a while back,maybe it was just who I spoke to.

Despite some gripes some of us have, I wouldn't let it stop anyone from buying a pair. Simply the best fitting pair of skates I've had, and I've had lots! Performance is brilliant as well, So easy to use outside edges in these skates! When the time eventually comes to get new skates, I will for sure be getting another custom pair of VH.

I am back in June.....so if I have a second maybe I can meet you there to repair anything needed.

• Like 1

I am back in June.....so if I have a second maybe I can meet you there to repair anything needed.

That would be awesome! Thanks kind sir! I would really like to get the eyelet backing on.

I heard that David Clarkson went into a retail store and purchased two pair of Vapor 1X's because he couldn't stand his VH's. Would a player in the NHL really go buy retail skates when they have Bauer at their disposal? I would think that all he would have to do is have the Equipment Manager call the Bauer rep and have a pair made from his foot last. Am I wrong? Just thought that was odd