Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I don't claim to know the reasoning behind it but I do know that one of those pair came from my store as we shipped them to Columbus. They were 1X LE - could very well just wanted the black look, which isn't a standard offering.

Yea, I heard they were LE's so maybe like you said he just wanted the black boot. Maybe it happens more often than we know about but I would've never thought a pro to buy retail skates. Makes me wonder that if a pro will skate in retail skates, is there really that much of a difference between custom and retail skates. I guess I was also under the impression that the pros got whatever they wanted and whenever they wanted it. JR you would know the answer to that though.

Yea, I heard they were LE's so maybe like you said he just wanted the black boot. Maybe it happens more often than we know about but I would've never thought a pro to buy retail skates. Makes me wonder that if a pro will skate in retail skates, is there really that much of a difference between custom and retail skates. I guess I was also under the impression that the pros got whatever they wanted and whenever they wanted it. JR you would know the answer to that though.

I would think that there is no comparison. Retail skates can only be so moldable.

Not to knock on David Clarkson but if they did "lose him" I doubt they're feeling it much lol. Of course its always good to have as much NHLers in their skates as possible, but would be more concerning if Pavelski/Byfuglien/Pirri stopped using VH.

Edited by Bbd94

I heard that David Clarkson went into a retail store and purchased two pair of Vapor 1X's because he couldn't stand his VH's. Would a player in the NHL really go buy retail skates when they have Bauer at their disposal? I would think that all he would have to do is have the Equipment Manager call the Bauer rep and have a pair made from his foot last. Am I wrong? Just thought that was odd

I speak to him on a regular basis and if he went to buy some X1's it was for someone local it sure wasn't to get out of his VH. He is wearing them.

I speak to him on a regular basis and if he went to buy some X1's it was for someone local it sure wasn't to get out of his VH. He is wearing them.

I don't claim to know anything about the situation, other than they wanted us to rush ship them a pair of LEs for him, but I had to explain to them that Columbus is an one-day ship from MI so Air wasn't needed.

Not every NHLer gets custom skates. There is a stock "pro" skate that teams can get - with the Supreme, it's a MX3 with a standard tongue, LS3 steel and a fixed tendon guard, that's made alongside retail skates.

The LE is a situation in which it's a retail thing, and they have guys like Kane in it to carry that skate to translate to retail sales.

My information was third party so you know how that goes, there are two sides and the truth lies in between. I, like JR no nothing about the situation and only spoke about what I was told which in hind sight may not have been appropriate. I was not trying to start any crap and just thought it was crazy for a pro to go into a retail store and buy equipment. I was under the impression that they got whatever they wanted but that seems to not be the case maybe. But like stated above, it could've been for someone else.

In his documentary, Selänne said he has always skated in retail skates.

Not true. He did wore retail Supreme 8090's because Bauer did not make them anymore.

My information was third party so you know how that goes, there are two sides and the truth lies in between. I, like JR no nothing about the situation and only spoke about what I was told which in hind sight may not have been appropriate. I was not trying to start any crap and just thought it was crazy for a pro to go into a retail store and buy equipment. I was under the impression that they got whatever they wanted but that seems to not be the case maybe. But like stated above, it could've been for someone else.

He may have...he likes to try things. However doing it because "he hates his VH" I highly doubt. Ordering skates for himself wouldn't be out of character at all for him. he may have even ordered them for a buddy which he has done numerous times before.

That is how I met him. Working at National came in for rollerblades for his now wife. Got talking about hockey had no clue who he was. Explained an issue he had with his skates I made a suggestion. he came by the next day and have done hos skates every summer since then.

Picked up a pair of pro stock Quinten Howden skates (pair on the left). They are wider than my customs, but I swapped out the thin tongues for the thicker VH ones and put in some CCM insoles and they feel pretty good. The new style tendon guard and toe box feel very solid. Put new CCM tongues in my customs as well.

VH20002_zpsillgltdp.jpg

• Like 2

Picked up a pair of pro stock Quinten Howden skates (pair on the left). They are wider than my customs, but I swapped out the thin tongues for the thicker VH ones and put in some CCM insoles and they feel pretty good. The new style tendon guard and toe box feel very solid. Put new CCM tongues in my customs as well.

VH20002_zpsillgltdp.jpg

Nice work

Thanks. Really my only complaint with VH is the cheap "loop" sections of Velcro they use to attach tongues. It's the only thing I've had to replace. Remove old Velcro, use Barge to glue on new piece and then have a cobbler near me stitch around the perimeter. Much less labor intensive than stitching in new tongues though, so if that's my biggest gripe so be it.

Edited by Monty22

Without having gotten any direct communication from VH, they have posted here and in their own materials that there is the option to have less stiffness, as well as the option to add a little bit with the integrated shot blocker. MC88 also said they could accommodate his request to stiffen just cuff area around the top eyelet. There seems to be some variability they can offer right off the bat.

I wish more people realized that if they were to order custom skates through anybody, and they had to get rid of said skates, the only thing stopping them from being "pro stock" is the fact they aren't an actual pro. * note this isn't directed at people that deal with pro's and want in no way to step on toes I just feel as if people love the easy way out take what they can get

On 2/19/2016 at 0:12 AM, adam14 said:

I wish more people realized that if they were to order custom skates through anybody, and they had to get rid of said skates, the only thing stopping them from being "pro stock" is the fact they aren't an actual pro. * note this isn't directed at people that deal with pro's and want in no way to step on toes I just feel as if people love the easy way out take what they can get

Not the case at all. My guy used to refer to an increased stiffness option as "Pro Stiffness". It's not that I have some disillusion that I am a pro level player. Simply that a stiff boot is my preference and if my skating level allows it, then I'm going to ask for it.  

• Like 1

On 2/19/2016 at 3:12 AM, adam14 said:

Its kinda late but can you re-write this a little not sure what your meaning?

10 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Its kinda late but can you re-write this a little not sure what your meaning?

10 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Yea I was also a bit confused about what they were talking about.

Adam14 is saying that any custom skates are considered "pro-spec" and "pro-stock". The only reason we don't refer to all VH skates as pro-stock is because the feet from which they are molded are not all professional hockey players. Orland refuted this, saying that just because it's a custom skate doesn't mean it has pro-level stiffness and features.

I agree with the latter.

Pro spec, pro stock or not; it looks like VH will be my next skates. I wear (pro stock) shot blockers (over retail Easton Mako 2s) and the things are cumbersome (better than the retail blockers but I still notice them), so to be able to have the blockers built into the skate is gonna be huge value. So whenever the Mako 2s break down, then I figure that Scott VH will just keep getting better between now and whenever I place my order, and yea pro spec/ pro stock/ Cosmic spec or whatever makes zero difference to me, as long as I get this perfect custom fit that everyone is raving about (With hopefully a bit less residual glue that some have complained about).

Edited by Cosmic

Speaking of built-in shot protection (tongues and quarter panels).  These are the VHs my friends and I all chipped in for as a birthday gift to a buddy.  He volunteer coaches 3 times a week and has been wearing the same pair of beat-up One95s since they were released.  Could never afford new skates.

Here's to another few years! :)

mwz3lw.jpg

• Like 6