Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

9 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Alan,

Seeing as you know what you can do to fix the issue down the road......and having no concrete proof of what the issue is for sure. I would order the skates stock. nothing done at all to them. And simply try them out. period.

You can add lifts and if need be shims for leg length very easily.  I would simply order the skates and see how they feel.

9 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Alan,

Seeing as you know what you can do to fix the issue down the road......and having no concrete proof of what the issue is for sure. I would order the skates stock. nothing done at all to them. And simply try them out. period.

You can add lifts and if need be shims for leg length very easily.  I would simply order the skates and see how they feel.

Good point, but I am adding a 3.25 mm heel wedge today to try tomorrow just to see how that goes.

I think you are right after that, just order the skates. I would need VH's special T-nuts (I am having them use these all around) in a longer length to add a full lift plus through the heel lifts.

Does anyone know if they can be sourced at any particular place. Perhaps VH will sell then to me or can advise where they can be purchased.

Thanks for your "push"

Alan

4 hours ago, smu said:

Good point, but I am adding a 3.25 mm heel wedge today to try tomorrow just to see how that goes.

I think you are right after that, just order the skates. I would need VH's special T-nuts (I am having them use these all around) in a longer length to add a full lift plus through the heel lifts.

Does anyone know if they can be sourced at any particular place. Perhaps VH will sell then to me or can advise where they can be purchased.

Thanks for your "push"

Alan

VH is offering T-nuts as an option now?

On 2016-04-06 at 1:13 PM, AfftonDad said:

VH is offering T-nuts as an option now?

Supposedly no, not really offering!

Edited by smu
spell

12 hours ago, methosb said:

I had heel problems. I used a smaller clamp to squeeze in the Achilles just above the heel which created little heel locking bumps to hold my heels down. 

You could also try Stable 26 socks if necessary. 

I have found that using duct tape instead f the clamp works amazing. It hold tight doesn't move and makes the heel tighter were it needs to be. I have done 4 re-fits from guys that have had the skate for a season and everyone says it feels like a brand new skate now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I have found that using duct tape instead f the clamp works amazing. It hold tight doesn't move and makes the heel tighter were it needs to be. I have done 4 re-fits from guys that have had the skate for a season and everyone says it feels like a brand new skate now.

What do you mean by this? Baking and using duct tape? How would this work for someone with bony heels, there is nothing to push in?

14 hours ago, Bbd94 said:

Where did you find the clamp? I bought one but it doesn't sit flat, just pinches and then falls off. Can you do this without baking? Like hit it with a heat gun? 

Thanks again 

I got the clamp at some local hardware store (I live in Hong Kong so I can't give you a store name useful to you). I just used my wife's hair dryer as it is a pretty powerful one, you can use a h leat gun if you can get ahold of one. The clamp does try to slip off so I just put pressure on the back of it to stop it from slipping backwards. You gotta hold it there for a good 15mins though to make sure it cools down and hardens with the clamp squeezed in. 

5 hours ago, Bbd94 said:

What do you mean by this? Baking and using duct tape? How would this work for someone with bony heels, there is nothing to push in?

I am guessing he is referring to the bandaging (with duct tape instead) technique shown on the vh YouTube channel where you wrap from the heel and up around the ankle to get a tighter fit around that area. I can imagine this helps ankle fit but not sure it is enough in the heel itself. Good idea to try this first though as clamping is a bit more finicky to get right. 

I tried 3.25 mm as a heel lift today, up from 2.75 mm and prior the normal pitch, nothing added. On a straight away skate I did not do so badly. I shoot right, but prefer left and get far more chances scoring, although I usually pass. I am a right handed shot and scored a wrist shot from just left of the has marks, Two between the 5 hole again from right to left and another instead of the 5 hole I went far enough that the goalie (not too good) allowed me to stretch him out and I slid the puck on the ice back to the left towards his outstretched leg. I had a lucky day with a couple more.

I have to say that I did have some falling again while playing with the puck and turning backwards. I don't trust any backward turning although once I was good at it.

I  did not like the 3.5 mm lifts that I had installed and will go back to no heel lifts tomorrow for our games next week.  It cost me almost nothing as I have the lifts and all is needed is to install. Pro Hockey Life in Nova Scotia have been quite accommodating for me! Then order the skates!

I did not feel comfortable in the 3.25 mm except for straight away and and not so hard turns. In fact one of our guys went into the boards hard and we thought he was hurt, seriously. As it turned he was not, but I was kneeling beside him and went to get up I had lost my balance. I fell almost on top of him and I feel it was do to to my pitch. I also had some trouble with quick starts using the right over the left, Left over the right was fine. This could be a factor with my tight right abductor muscles in my hip or perhaps a better fitting skate like a new VH may fix a lot of my problems. I will take the heel shims the 3.25 shims and see what the difference is with playing with all types in a short time frame.

As said by one of the members just order the new boot and fix it later. With the Bauer LS2 holder and perhaps Black Steel and work with that as I certainly know my Bauer X90 are not doing any good. Loose fit, left foot narrow and over-pronation, that's enough to buy. If I want heel lifts or whatever I can do it after I get a great skate.

Alan

TO DO:

1) Finnish my topic/experience on Pitch and Heel lifts

2) I have some interesting news from VH, I am surprised! Without being there to be fitted your Center of Gravity by their remote fitting may be off somewhat.

3) If you need a good and quick over-pronation fix. Also IMHO the new Bauer Skates with moldable insoles may not work for Over Pronation.

4) My intended order

1) Take step back for a moment to finish another topic. This is regarding my attempt at changing my pitch by placing heel shims of just over 3 mm did not seem to make the difference I was looking for. Since the Bauer holders have zero pitch and I know my body, I need something as I always feel as I am falling backwards. I will inexplicably fall doing various maneuvers especially playing with the puck and not moving fast. Up and down the ice I can go like mad, even cut behind the defense in a near 90º left or right angle and I am OK. Give me the puck just to play with it slowly to try and make a simple play and I am on my ass!

2) Back to VH and COG:

I am ready to order and look at the older paperwork that I had to trace your foot and I notice that they are using the tracing of your foot with all of its bumps etc, which is going to be great, but the line projected from the heel to between the big toe and the one next to it, appears to method the that it is done normally with skaters without an over pronation problem. Maybe that line should move towards the the smaller toes to some degree in my opinion to transfer the center of gravity towards the big toe and medial side?!

We are supposed to give photos of of our feet so they can work with these and our comments to give you what they think you need. There is no true positives that you will be directly over your blades, thus we have other members that are looking to put shims in the VH skates.

Let VH know what the problem is and I am sure they will help, but it means sending them back unless you can get the work done yourself.

Back a few post ago I had quoted Rob's email that out of X number of skates made only Y ever had a problems (small number, can't go back and see while I am posting) that came back to them. So that means they are really close or nobody is getting back to them indicating you are still pronating. I would imagine that they would ask for your skates back and wedges would be inserted.

Back to my order, I am going to have as much material to give them as is warranted in particular the pronation issue. If I get a perfectly made skate except for the placement of the blade I can live with it. I can have VH adjust it or do it myself.

3) For any over-pronation issues, in the short term use Superfeet, they work well and if you have not already noticed they have SLIGHTLY HIGHER POSTS ON THE MEDIAL SIDE, SIMILAR TO WHAT I DO TO OVERCOME OVER_PRONATION, but are hard to recognize.

If pronation is an issue go a step further by still using Superfeet, but adding the 1 or 2 mm thickness wedges inside the skates below the Superfeet on the medial side in the heel area only. If you need more than 1 piece use  electrical tape to keep more them together and if you can trust them not moving fine, but thin 2 sided tape will work, but you will be adding a bit of height that may make a difference. With Superfeet you may only need 0.5 or 1 mm, some will need 2 or 3 mm etc. I just make sure they were on the proper side (arch side) and I push my Superfeet down hard on the pieces and they "generally" stayed in place. Using this method you can quickly have your boot off and back on within a minutes to add or remove a wedges and then do it again, but bring something so you don't have to fight getting the insole out. I have played with my skates 3 times during 1 game until I had the blades from sliding out as if they had not been sharpened properly to wher they felt I could do anything I wanted and literally saved my game!. Bring a smal bab of cut pieces of plastic, electrical tape a flat screwdriver to get your Superfeet ou in case your fingers are too cold or are too large!

The size would be just less than half the width (1/2) of the heel pocket and about 2.5" long or approximately the flat part of the heel area. Round the end somewhat just to fit against the heel pocket (remember, if a shim is placed inside the boot it is always on the medial or nearest other leg - the same side of you problematic arch.

If it is an outside wedge, between the boot and the holder, then the wedge will be thicker from my experience and is placed laterally on far outside of your boot under each end of the holder and make it the same length. The width of mine was about 1.5" shaped to match the exterior of the boot and straight under the holder. Mine was made with a slight bevel slight with the full thickness on the outside tapering as it went inwards, but not tapered to a  point and this time opposite your sagging arch. This wedge was made by guy that owned a hockey shop, but has since sold unfortunately. What he was doing for me was then thought to be far - nearly 3 hour drive. I only wish Rob of VH was that close.

For those that have issues with their VH skates why not email Rob back to give you some help.

4) With recent emails from Rob he says that they will try hard getting my blades shifted medially so I will have a better chance of being very close to my COG, perhaps at that point if there is a problem all I will need is a that quick fix of a small piece of the plastic they call "puckboard" placed under my Superfeet, the way I have my skates are done now by me.

I will get the full package, but change out the Bauer holder to the LS2 Bauer (holds the blade tighter and longer than the quick change method) as it is better and I may go with the Step Steel, these two will be about the same price. LS3 and Black Steel at $50 do cost more.

I understand that if I am really concerned about getting my pronation right VH can send a "Impression Box" for $80 all inclusive. IMHO from here on - This is entirely different than the New $1,000 Bauer Skates with moldable footbeds or the old Graf footbed done the same way. I believe these two footbeds are heated and then they are inserted into the skate and you stand on it making and exact copy of your fallen arch, what is the good of that, you are no further ahead!

Don't believe anything until they come out with a device that puts you in skates and on a board where it can tell where your center of gravity really is. It would also measure whether you should have more or less pitch. That will come eventually!

Until that happens VH is there to help as much as they can and seem to know what they are doing as long as you explain it well and give them lots of information.

The Impression Box will hopefully take an impression showing what your arches need to put them back to normalcy as they are without squashing the insole flat.  I have had the non weight bearing Impression Box used when I got my first orthotics and it worked well. When I got my orthotics I could stand on them on the floor and feel your arches push up as it should be. The Graf I had did nothing.

There is another step in making the orthotic and is at the heel area. It is similar to what I am doing with the pieces I add under the heel, read above if you have missed that. I have noticed this twist of the tendon area like a lot of you and I make this straighten out by adding my shims in the heel area and my heel straightens up and in turn my over pronation just about disappears.  I am not sure how VH's box works, but if it looks after both the arch and twist of the tendon, great at least I know what to do if the "Box" is not all that it should be. I do want to ask more about the "Box", but I think I will go for it. What is another $80!

Alan

1) Finnish a topic on Pitch and Heel lifts

2) I have some interesting news from VH and I am surprised! Without being there to be fitted your Center of Gravity by their remote fitting may be off somewhat.

3) If you need a over-pronation fix

4) My order

Sorry for the long post, I would read  #3 at least and #2 after that if you can!

I will try and keep any further posts short and to the point.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Alan

OptimusReim

OK I goofed again, I will be shorter on my subject matter, but there is some good information in that long post.

I could go back and do one at time as individual posts, but before I get to that, as it took me quite awhile to put that information together, I would like to let the members know I have a great method of helping with pronation that will do wonders and not hard to do.

I don't know what your acronyms were, but not good I take it. All issues tied into VH Skate I believe, but I ask you what is tye best thing to do given that it took me some time to post this in good faith. But, I needed to learn a lesson and that has been done.

If someone typed in pronation my personal experience  would come up showing away to compensate pronation from the heel area where if corrected proper will fix most problems. I don't think I have the energy to reduce and redo that post.

Cheers,

Alan

26 minutes ago, smu said:

OptimusReim

OK I goofed again, I will be shorter on my subject matter, but there is some good information in that long post.

I could go back and do one at time as individual posts, but before I get to that, as it took me quite awhile to put that information together, I would like to let the members know I have a great method of helping with pronation that will do wonders and not hard to do.

I don't know what your acronyms were, but not good I take it. All issues tied into VH Skate I believe, but I ask you what is tye best thing to do given that it took me some time to post this in good faith. But, I needed to learn a lesson and that has been done.

If someone typed in pronation my personal experience  would come up showing away to compensate pronation from the heel area where if corrected proper will fix most problems. I don't think I have the energy to reduce and redo that post.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan it stands for: too long;didn't read. I am sure it is not if you have any of the issues you wrote about.

50 minutes ago, fcalog said:

Alan it stands for: too long;didn't read. I am sure it is not if you have any of the issues you wrote about.

Thanks for the reply and info and comment.

It was too long though and I should have realized it looking at the time I spent on it. All VH topics, but should have been broken down, reduced and posted separately if that was possible.

Cheers,

Alan

17 hours ago, smu said:

3) For any over-pronation issues, in the short term use Superfeet, they work well and if you have not already noticed they have SLIGHTLY HIGHER POSTS ON THE MEDIAL SIDE, SIMILAR TO WHAT I DO TO OVERCOME OVER_PRONATION, but are hard to recognize.

If pronation is an issue go a step further by still using Superfeet, but adding the 1 or 2 mm thickness wedges inside the skates below the Superfeet on the medial side in the heel area only.

Placing anything underneath the insole will offset the heel from the heel pocket. Not only that, it'll place your foot slightly forward and higher, which can cause lace bite (depends on how much room you'll have between the top eyelets and your foot, but from having ordered 2 sets of VH skates, I can say that the margin is rather slim). This is why it's been very hard for me to find and use custom insoles--since most are thicker from heel to toe than the stock insole.

On 2016-04-17 at 3:14 PM, mc88 said:

Placing anything underneath the insole will offset the heel from the heel pocket. Not only that, it'll place your foot slightly forward and higher, which can cause lace bite (depends on how much room you'll have between the top eyelets and your foot, but from having ordered 2 sets of VH skates, I can say that the margin is rather slim). This is why it's been very hard for me to find and use custom insoles--since most are thicker from heel to toe than the stock insole.

I can see your concern. Superfeet add a bit of a height and do try and straiten up the tendon/ankle with its higher medial side (same as an orthotic), but they have been fine for me after re-baking.  Would a 1 mm shim change things that much if you needed it.

Having a 1 mm shim would be far better than having your skates feel as if the blades are not sharp and slipping out from under you and having a lousy game because of it.

Alan

If the increased depth of super feet is an issue, try putting them in without the red insole. 

I I did the opposite when I got mine. Tried taking out the red insole and using super feet but found that gave me way too much room in the skate. I probably could have just re-baked but decided to just leave the red insole in.

5 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

If the increased depth of super feet is an issue, try putting them in without the red insole. 

I I did the opposite when I got mine. Tried taking out the red insole and using super feet but found that gave me way too much room in the skate. I probably could have just re-baked but decided to just leave the red insole in.

I have only 2 paragraphs at the end of these quotes so it should not be too long ;)

#1 Here is a quote from OpyimusReim, a post or two ago.

Below is my older post

On 2016-04-17 at 10:04 PM, smu said:

If pronation is an issue go a step further by still using Superfeet, but adding the 1 or 2 mm thickness wedges inside the skates below the Superfeet on the medial side in the heel area only.

#3 A recent quote from MC88

"Placing anything underneath the insole will offset the heel from the heel pocket. Not only that, it'll place your foot slightly forward and higher, which can cause lace bite (depends on how much room you'll have between the top eyelets and your foot, but from having ordered 2 sets of VH skates, I can say that the margin is rather slim). This is why it's been very hard for me to find and use custom insoles--since most are thicker from heel to toe than the stock insole."

===================

REPLY - SMU

It seems that OptimusReim and myself are on the same page for minor heel increments. If you have been using Superfeet there is a a substantial thickness increase over the regular in-soles. You will note that on the medial side of Superfeet  they are higher, measure it. Regardless, the height difference is not that significant. but what the Superfeet do is to turn you ankle so that the heel tendon is straighter reducing pronation. This is the major stage of correcting pronation in skates. Superfeet do have a bit of arch support, but press down on it and you will find there is really not that much as opposed to orthotics in shoes.

Getting back to my point I could easily add 1 or 2 mm "pieces" medially under my Superfeet and I suppose if needed have them re-backed. I as I have said it is better to have a game where your not concerned about standing up and/or slipping rather than being able to play a whole game and enjoying it!

Interesting you mentioned that I have been using my Superfeet with the original in-soles removed. I thought it would go without saying!

Alan

That's what I always try to tell people... Superfeet aren't for arch support, they're for heel stabilization. And they do a damn good job of it. 

7 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

That's what I always try to tell people... Superfeet aren't for arch support, they're for heel stabilization. And they do a damn good job of it. 

That's why my minimal 1-2 mm shims work so well in the heel area and don't take up much room.

Cheers,

Alan