Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

28 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

It happens. Not a big deal. Congrats on the new grandchild. If the new development is big it makes sense to wait, but even if it isn't I think it makes sense to wait if you don't need the skates right away because then the start of your warranty will be later that way (plus you can be earning interest in the cash in the meantime). I'd order in the late summer/early fall if you're not going to start using them until the fall/winter season.

Thanks for the "best wishes" and the suggestion of waiting, that 2 members saying that. Rob had agreed a change that was not going to be done at first and also some others were free such as heel lifts if needed. I was changing to the better but older LS2 Bauer holders and going with Step Steel. The extra cost of the blades were my responsibility as well as the other normal extras, tongue and reinforced siding. I just hope these will break in for a 130 lb guy! I take a size 5 so I hope the $200 savings is still there. I will ask Rob if  he will keep all the notes we had on what I wanted plus the changes.

Thanks again  - Alan

I'd wait too, if nothing else because of the constant innovation and design tweaking these things get. When I got mine, they looked nothing like a model only 6-8 months older!

45 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

I'd wait too, if nothing else because of the constant innovation and design tweaking these things get. When I got mine, they looked nothing like a model only 6-8 months older!

Thanks and it does seem only right to wait. I had a feeling that they may stop selling to the public or bought out!  :)

4 hours ago, orlandkurtenbach said:

What happened on BT this morning?

Well I showed the new 3D scanning system, however I don't have a PVR to get a copy. I am waiting to find a copy to put up.

On 5/10/2016 at 1:32 PM, smu said:

OK, OK, let's stop the laughing now! Sorry guys, between out second grandchild being born and the fact that I almost landed in Fort McMurray as an insurance adjuster this past few days has been like a blur. It was so close to working there Rob gave me the name of one of their fitters not far away and actually had emails back and forth. It now does not look like I will be going, but I guess I was still in hyper mode! 

I will try tomorrow, my apologies.  Alan

and actually it was my bad it was CP24 Breakfast Television...different show so I have been corrected. Aired this morning here is a link to the one part but not the piece on the scanner.

http://www.cp24.com/video?clipId=867915&binId=1.1127680&playlistPageNum=1

4 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Well I showed the new 3D scanning system, however I don't have a PVR to get a copy. I am waiting to find a copy to put up.

So they're now using 3D scanning for hockey skates?  That's interesting because a couple years ago I asked Scott about using the 3D system they used for speed skates for hockey skates and he said they didn't do it because the bottom came out in an odd shape that they couldn't attach a holder to. I guess they fixed that issue. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I thought they did away with this because of the inaccuracies/trouble spots? They had this 3D scanning system way back in 2014 (watch at 1:45):

On 5/21/2014 at 9:55 AM, iceman8310 said:

Edited by mc88

6 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

and actually it was my bad it was CP24 Breakfast Television...different show so I have been corrected. Aired this morning here is a link to the one part but not the piece on the scanner.

http://www.cp24.com/video?clipId=867915&binId=1.1127680&playlistPageNum=1

That music is epic...that's a morning show? I was thinking I should sprinkle some MDMA on my cereal.

5 hours ago, mc88 said:

I thought they did away with this because of the inaccuracies/trouble spots? They had this 3D scanning system way back in 2014 (watch at 1:45):

I recall seeing this video at the start of my last hockey seasons and it was old at that point, I believe.Alan

6 hours ago, mc88 said:

The new scanner is far more advanced and as the kinks get worked out at retail and finalized over the next few weeks of fittings I will explain better then in laymen terms what it actually does. I couldn't if I tried to explain the whole thing from a technical point of view at the moment. LOL All I can say it is pretty easy to use and getting better. Not cheap but will be worth it down the road. No more multiple drawings needed. I still do the old measurements for the time being till its perfected. So far so good.

Ok so I made a phone call and this is what was explained to me prior to me getting my scanner because I had some questions. I just wanted to make sure it was ok to post. 

Hi Jeff, there are some misconceptions that have been posted around the net, maybe I can clear some up...

This is a brand new scanner and software system.  Scott Van Horne has previously used 3-D scanning to build speed skates, but that has proved not to work well in the past for hockey skates.  With speed skates, comfort and protection are not paramount as in hockey, so 3-D scanning was providing a model to build a “milled last” for speed skates.  Hockey also has the challenge of building a canted boot that will accept a holder – again, not something that the previous scanner and software would allow VH to solve for automatically.   Also, this speed skate process can be upwards of $2,000 per pair – something that is not currently palatable in the hockey industry.  Thus, VH designed a series of algorithms based upon measurement sets and 2-D tracings for hockey.

Fast forward to 2016, and the opportunity to source a lightweight, mobile, and iPad compatible scanner became a reality.  This got VH excited, and for the past year, they have been working on specifications with the software scanning provider to develop a custom software application.  This software takes allot of the calculations and foot mapping that were previously done manually, and automates them.  This will allow VH to continue to produce custom skates at the same rate – even though demand has increased.  Essentially, once this process is refined through the pilot and testing phase, VH fit centers will have use of the scanner to send in orders – and those orders will be more easily handled at the factory.  The current method of tracings, measurements and photos is still how they are building custom skates.  Eventually, you will see these scanners in the hands of all dealers as a lightweight and mobile option, that will also cement consistency across all fittings.

For a small company out of Winnipeg, I think they should be applauded for investing in solutions to try to continually get better and move the industry forward.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, orlandkurtenbach said:

Can anybody speak to the cost of ordering online v.s. at a retailer? 

Recently spoke to a retailer and they quoted me for senior pricing although I have at Junior sized foot by VH's metrics...

If you have a size 5 skate as I do you get the $200 off, Rob knows my age and I am certainly not a "junior age" player and he has quoted the price to me as the junior size.

Alan

Well the Stable 26 socks didn't help my right foot because it aggravates my haglunds, but in the process of trying them on I think I may have found the reason. 

My left skates (which is fine) footbed barely moves vertically at all when I apply pressure. My right skates footbed, on the other hand, moves ALOT when I apply even slight pressure. I often feel that my right heel isn't completely locked in which causes it to push out of the heel pocket or move within. Not as tight of a wrap as on my left 

could this be the problem? I took a video but have no idea how to post it on here 

6 hours ago, orlandkurtenbach said:

Can anybody speak to the cost of ordering online v.s. at a retailer? 

Recently spoke to a retailer and they quoted me for senior pricing although I have a "Junior" sized foot by VH's metrics...

Once the drawings or scan in my case the price goes on the length. 

Could have been a misunderstanding  from the fit center. They won't charge for SR if it's not over 252 mm.

FYI on my previous post, the wrap still doesn't feel tight when I'm standing in my right skate. 

So im leaning toward it being part of the problem and not the whole thing. I emailed Rob and am going to try the tape method in the next couple days.

Edited by Bbd94

1 hour ago, Bbd94 said:

Well the Stable 26 socks didn't help my right foot because it aggravates my haglunds, but in the process of trying them on I think I may have found the reason. 

My left skates (which is fine) footbed barely moves vertically at all when I apply pressure. My right skates footbed, on the other hand, moves ALOT when I apply even slight pressure. I often feel that my right heel isn't completely locked in which causes it to push out of the heel pocket or move within. Not as tight of a wrap as on my left 

could this be the problem? I took a video but have no idea how to post it on here 

I stopped using the yellow foot beds because they kept sliding forward and bunching a tiny bit in the toe box. It was causing me to curl my big toe while skating, and I could barely walk the day after games because of the pain in my foot. 

Replaced with my custom SIDAS inserts (which I don't find any better than my super feet but whatever) because they're very rigid. Problem went away immediately.

I left the red insert in, though, to not mess with volume.

15 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

I stopped using the yellow foot beds because they kept sliding forward and bunching a tiny bit in the toe box. It was causing me to curl my big toe while skating, and I could barely walk the day after games because of the pain in my foot. 

Replaced with my custom SIDAS inserts (which I don't find any better than my super feet but whatever) because they're very rigid. Problem went away immediately.

I left the red insert in, though, to not mess with volume.

It's weird because they actually aren't bunching up in the toe box, just sliding.

I would try a different footbed but I don't want to alter how my foot sits in the boot. When I used Superfeet on my VaporsI also got really bad arch pain. I don't have any pain on my haglunds and my foot "sits" fine, it's just the wrap on my right heel is bothersome. 

3 hours ago, Bbd94 said:

It's weird because they actually aren't bunching up in the toe box, just sliding.

I would try a different footbed but I don't want to alter how my foot sits in the boot. When I used Superfeet on my VaporsI also got really bad arch pain. I don't have any pain on my haglunds and my foot "sits" fine, it's just the wrap on my right heel is bothersome. 

Yea mine just slid a little bit too, at first. Eventually I'd pull out the footbed and the toe end of it would be curled. But your footbed should definitely not be sliding at all so I'd go ahead and try something a bit stiffer if I were you.