Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

3 hours ago, choco316 said:

ill let you know when I try to get them adjusted. I'm hoping I can get at least my right boots holder moved in a bit

Thanks, yes please stay in touch later even I want to know what to do to make sure I have my COG over the blades, I hope I don't have to go there as I cannot afford it. I was just at my LHS and changed back to the regular Superfeet, at least I have had some success. The women that waited on me was great and all the new Carbon models were the same, in fact she just had used a pair but was still sliding. She supinates, the opposite of us. I indicated the new ones don't help her and the way the older ones are made they would not help a supinator in my mind. They are really made for over pronaters! I explain his the old ones work and why do the knew ones have the balance in the middle with the posts (still higher medially) not even able to contact the bottom of the boot, what is the good of that. I am just giving the facts from a LHS hockey expert give me what she could about the new Carbon, but have no real answers when I challenged her.

Good Luck - Alan

Edited by smu
Terrible Spelling mostly!

Here's an update to my post from a couple of months ago where I was considering ordering a new pair, and felt like my 3-year-old pair was a bit longer than desired. After badgering Rob with a bunch of questions and making it really clear that I wanted minimal space between my toes and the toe cap, he came through and fulfilled my wishes with an awesome pair of skates. This is actually my first experience with having skates where my toes feather the toe cap. One small note: I did notice however that the toe cap is lined with a thin layer of red foam similar to the red insole liner. So I guess it would be possible to gain a mm or so of space by removing it if really needed.

I was inspired to choose grey trim by a photo that Syinx posted. I wanted something personalized without being too flashy. Grey is not one of the choices offered in the online order form, but Rob told me to just select any color other than black, and indicate in the order notes that I want grey instead of the selected color. The photo below is what resulted.

VH2.JPG

I've had them for over a month now. It took me around 5 games/practices to get used to them, mostly because of the new blade profile. It's 254mm Step steel whereas the old one was 263mm LS2. Having less rocker at the heel was the biggest issue at first since it would sometimes catch on the ice during forward to backward transitions and other maneuvers. Sharp turns felt a bit strange at first. The 10' profile might have had a bit to do with that, but I felt more like it was due to the flatter heel. I wanted to give the stock Step profile a chance before messing with profiling and I've totally adapted. I'm not missing the extra 9mm of the 263mm blade at all, though the Step steel seems to extend slightly further past the ends of the holder than a LS2 blade so the difference may effectively be less than 9mm. BTW, I went with the LS2 holder over the Edge because for my needs the single advantage of the Edge did not outweigh its known problems.

The boot feels a hair "bulkier" than my old pair. I think the foam behind the Clarino lining is slightly thicker overall making it more comfortable and probably improves impact protection. That and the new toecap seem to add a bit of weight, even if I exclude the weight of the extra metal in the taller Step steel, but if it improves overall durability, it's a good trade-off.

I noticed an interesting refinement on the "outsole" which seems to have some added structural component compared to the original model as you can see in the photo below. The original VH had a basic anatomic shape of a foot sole. The new VH has some kind of "beam" integrated into the outsole connecting to the platform onto which the rear tower rests.

VH2c.JPG

I'm using the stock footbeds as they feel better than I expected on my flat feet. The only thing I might be missing is support under the transverse arch just behind the ball of the foot. The Sidas molded footbeds in my old skates filled that small void. For now anyway the stock footbeds with the red foam liner are feeling pretty good.

One tip I have for people ordering without the help of an authorized fitter is to put weight on your foot while you're tracing it and while measuring circumferences. Otherwise your tracing will be too narrow and you'll end up with the problem I had on my original pair. And I had a hell of a time stretching the skate width near the toe cap. For my new pair I put some weight on my foot and my tracings were a whole 3mm wider than the old ones! In the VH video Scott even mentions something like "semi-weight-bearing" when tracing the feet.

Rob also told me to trace and measure my bare feet whether I wear socks or not with my skates because VH adds a "fudge factor for socks" in the design.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

One tip I have for people ordering without the help of an authorized fitter is to put weight on your foot while you're tracing it and while measuring circumferences. Otherwise your tracing will be too narrow and you'll end up with the problem I had on my original pair. And I had a hell of a time stretching the skate width near the toe cap. For my new pair I put some weight on my foot and my tracings were a whole 3mm wider than the old ones! In the VH video Scott even mentions something like "semi-weight-bearing" when tracing the feet.

Rob also told me to trace and measure my bare feet whether I wear socks or not with my skates because VH adds a "fudge factor for socks" in the design.

Thanks Larry for the pictures and advice, the more information the better.

Alan

• Like 1

I have a similar pronation problem as some of you here have been discussing. I moved my holders inward and that solved the problem. When I did it I used these T-Nuts and some 3/8ths bolts instead of rivets. This worked well on my grafs because the sole is pretty thick and the teeth on the t-nuts went into the sole just right. I am wondering if I could use the same method on a pair of VH skates. Are the soles thick enough? What is the inside of the sole made out of?

t-nut.jpg

Edited by JJStripes
  • Like 1

You can use them but you need to cut the lugs off and epoxy them in place to stop them turning. I also ground a slot in the top of the nut so I could use a screwdriver to help with installation / removal.

Edited by Vet88

Can you use Graf screws and nuts. I have seeing them for sale somewhere on hockey gear websites. They do not have lugs like that, but just 2 wings to grab the outsole. Obviously, I am not sure what you are doing, 3/8 nuts and bolts are pretty huge... 

1 hour ago, JJStripes said:

I have a similar pronation problem as some of you here have been discussing. I moved my holders inward and that solved the problem. When I did it I used these T-Nuts and some 3/8ths bolts instead of rivets. This worked well on my grafs because the sole is pretty thick and the teeth on the t-nuts went into the sole just right. I am wondering if I could use the same method on a pair of VH skates. Are the soles thick enough? What is the inside of the sole made out of?

t-nut.jpg

JJ, I have a new thread on how to get holders centered for over pronators and have received one post so far. Months ago I asked Rob if he would put T-nuts in so I can have some recourse if I still have a pronation problem after getting the VH skate. This was before I learned that a pronation fix is a built in orthotic and if done remotely may not be the answer. With the T-Nuts I can simply loosen the nuts and slide "Bont" (google it) shims, it's a wonder Scott Van Horn did not suggest this as they are usually used for speed skaters! These shims can be stacked and they have slits in them so the can be slide under the bolts and then the holders tightened down. With some experimentation a good cure should be found. It has been so long since I first started to correspond with Rob that I had forgotten this. Recently Rob mentioned that they don't move holders unless there is an extreem pronation problem and that's not me, but I had forgotten my reasearch on these shims.

i am really interested in your movement of your holders medially, how bad was your pronation issue? How much did you move your holders and how did you determine how much to move them over. Usually, in normal feet I understand that a line is drawn from the back of the mid heel up to and between the big tie and the next to it. Should not this same type of procedure be used, that is, your holders are centered in the back but are lined up more towards the 3rd tie perhaps just for the sake of an arguement. Perhaps just shifting them 1/8" together suits all? This would frighten me without more research that's whyci just joined 2 figure skating forums, but now that I remembered the Bont shims and your success I won't need them. How well are they working for you.

Cheers,

Alan

To make a long story short, I haven't had a pair of skates that felt really good since my Micron Mega 10-90's or Daoust 301's.

For those of you wearing VH, do they feel closer to those high quality leather skates, or closer to 1X, 1S, Jetspeed, etc.?

Got my VH skates 2 weeks ago and I am extremely satisfied with the quality of the product. Shout out to adrenaline's powerfoot inserts for the perfect combination of comfort and performance added to the already amazing package that is the skate. The first game with these skates on felt a little weird coming from Mako IIs, but since then it's only made me fall in love with them more and more. I ordered mine with the traditional sketching and pictures, no 3d scan. My only complaint was getting my foot in the first few times even after baking it, but they have videos explaining where to heat spot the skate to remedy this. Overall love the skates!JFeurE4.jpgī23fofBU.jpg7q2b9PXH.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Kyosuke said:

Got my VH skates 2 weeks ago and I am extremely satisfied with the quality of the product. Shout out to adrenaline's powerfoot inserts for the perfect combination of comfort and performance added to the already amazing package that is the skate. The first game with these skates on felt a little weird coming from Mako IIs, but since then it's only made me fall in love with them more and more. I ordered mine with the traditional sketching and pictures, no 3d scan. My only complaint was getting my foot in the first few times even after baking it, but they have videos explaining where to heat spot the skate to remedy this. Overall love the skates!JFeurE4.jpgī23fofBU.jpg7q2b9PXH.jpg

Very nice! I still think the basic black is the best way to go with VH and they finally did away with the toe cap screw.  I noticed from your pics that the lacing eyelet spacing is spread out over the top of the foot then tightens up as it goes to the ankle, is that something you asked for or they did? Just wondering the reasoning for it?

33 minutes ago, nicker87 said:

Very nice! I still think the basic black is the best way to go with VH and they finally did away with the toe cap screw.  I noticed from your pics that the lacing eyelet spacing is spread out over the top of the foot then tightens up as it goes to the ankle, is that something you asked for or they did? Just wondering the reasoning for it?

I did not give any specifications to the placement of the eyelets, but it didn't appear to affect the wrap it has around my foot. The blacksteel steps were added at no cost (Thanks Rob); though it would've been cool to get a pair of those new step holders too. I asked for additional copper eyelets as I've ran into problems with the normal eyelets falling out in other skates. I also changed the laces to yellow waxed graf laces (a la Ovi) as well as pull out the tongue as I thought it to be installed too deep inside the toe box. Overall impressed with the total package. While Mako IIs feel like sneakers, these feel like home xmas slippers on your feet (with the powerfoot insole) to erase any negative space.

• Like 1

On 2016-10-12 at 1:54 PM, smu said:

I am unsure if I corrected my position how VH corrects for over pronation. I thought that a custom skate would have the blade centered, but In an email, Rob indicated that the boot is made to accommodate the lack of an "orthotic" and that would work. The blade won't be moved unless there is a severe over pronation problem. As I write this it sounds like I may have already posted this. Sorry to have made this mistake.

Alan

Edited by smu
changed wording

On 11/19/2016 at 2:58 PM, Kyosuke said:

Got my VH skates 2 weeks ago and I am extremely satisfied with the quality of the product. Shout out to adrenaline's powerfoot inserts for the perfect combination of comfort and performance added to the already amazing package that is the skate. The first game with these skates on felt a little weird coming from Mako IIs, but since then it's only made me fall in love with them more and more. I ordered mine with the traditional sketching and pictures, no 3d scan. My only complaint was getting my foot in the first few times even after baking it, but they have videos explaining where to heat spot the skate to remedy this. Overall love the skates!

Thanks for the Shout out @Kyosuke glad to be a part of that sweet set up! I'm hoping to get me a pair come January! What liner did you go with and why?

10 hours ago, MikeBoyarchuk said:

Thanks for the Shout out @Kyosuke glad to be a part of that sweet set up! I'm hoping to get me a pair come January! What liner did you go with and why?

Tan Clarino was recommended to me by a few people I know that already had a pair. No complaints! Also I love your product from when I was using them in my Mako IIs, they really make a difference in comfort (I'm not good enough to know if my performance was affected).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

We've started its own thread. I had been working with TRUE to keep this under wraps on MSH for a few weeks now. 

Hope the general public can still buy skates, VH was doing a wonderful service to get great skates to the general public, as well as the Pros and lets not forget Rob and give him some Kudos with all his hard work!

More importantly the skates just did not come off the assembly line but were hand made for each and everyone of us!

If I can make a suggestion on many of us over pronators please bring back the MLX medial/lateral shift holders, I will be the first to buy!.

If the Figure skaters need to be fitted with their boots and blades, so they are over their center of gravity, why not hockey players.

It will help many, many people all you have to look at the statistics on pronation in the general public.

Best of luck TRUE, I hope to do business with you!

Alan

Edited by smu
Sentence moved
  • Like 1

I blocked a shot and it broke my one holder. I had it replaced at a local shop and it seems the runner does not fit the same as it had previously. They said not to worry about it. I am wondering if because vh skates are such an odd shape the holder bent when they attached it to the boot? The back seems to sit nicely. Anyone have any thoughts? http://imgur.com/a/RmFX8

On 9/12/2016 at 8:33 AM, Hills said:

I'd say don't give views to the guy that openly admits to taking a payoff to not do a negative review... but that is just me :P

Kinda confused on this post. 

Its not in properly. It needs to be seated better. If you warm the holder with a hair dryer and slam it on rubber it will go in but then you need to tighten it more.

59 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Kinda confused on this post. 

Its not in properly. It needs to be seated better. If you warm the holder with a hair dryer and slam it on rubber it will go in but then you need to tighten it more.

Thanks! worked perfectly.

• Like 1